SASS Wire Forum

Good Advice Not Taken

Old DeadEye Dakota

A very good shooter at the club once told me  - do not over react to a problem or a miss keep shooting- I did not take that advice yesterday.

Shot the 1st 5 stages of the match clean - stage #1 went well - had to make up a shotgun target on the 2nd stage - but still clean.

Stage #3-5 went well and around 30 seconds each - which is a good time for me.

Stage #6

Started to really think I was going to have a clean match.

Straight forward stage - 3-3-4 sweep.

Rifle then pistols then 2 shotgun targets

Shooter Ready

Beep

Shot riffle a little slower and clean

Moved to pistol position

Drew first pistol

Only pulled the hammer back 1/2 way

Panic set in - will I be out of sequence and have to go another full round to shoot all 5

Pulled hammer back and shot - miss

Now panic turned to disgust with myself for a miss and messing up my clean match

Don't even remember shooting the remaining 4 shots with the first pistol

Then I just stood there - the TO had to remind me to shoot the second pistol

Missed 3 more

Now even more disgusted with myself I just stood there again

Gallery all yelled - shotgun

So I move to the shotgun and got those down

So 4 misses and a very slow time gave me a 65 second stage - no clean match and put me toward the bottom of the overall match times.

So as advised - Next time I will try not to over react and keep shooting.

But always remember

Fun Stages - Fun people - Sunny warm day in Northern Colorado and 1 train wreck of a stage - still equals a great day at the range

65 seconds would be a good time for me--I always remind myself that it's the shooting that's fun--hitting stufff is icing on the cake

last time I was close to the top of the results was when they were in alphebetical order

cheyenne

Once that Bullet leaves the barrel there is nothing you can do about it. Fire & forget it! (Easier said than done!!!!)

shoot slow and make up for it by missing often... sage advice.  It is the guy with the highest score that wins, right?

I always pretend I’m in a real gunfight, you would never stop shooting if you missed in that situation.

Luckily I never have been in a real gunfight!:o

We've all had those train wreck stages. I remember my first miss at my first match, I stopped, looked at the gun, then the huge target 5 yards away and said "did I just do that".

I'm not a very good shooter, Deadeye, but I tend to shoot clean.  So any time you start thinking about a clean match or how someone else is shooting, relax and here's some advice in a little Zen mantra - 

There is no match, only this stage.

There is no competition, only myself.

I know that sounds a little "Wooo, dude", but it works for me.

2 hours ago, Newt Ritter said:

I'm not a very good shooter, Deadeye, but I tend to shoot clean.  So any time you start thinking about a clean match or how someone else is shooting, relax and here's some advice in a little Zen mantra - 

There is no match, only this stage.

There is no competition, only myself.

I know that sounds a little "Wooo, dude", but it works for me.

That’s very good advice, a Zen thing is live in the moment! That’s kinda what you’re saying!B)

• 2 weeks later...

On more than one occasion Ive blown a clean match on the last target of the last stage.

I start thinking ahead of myself.I frequently miss pistol targets because I'm" looking the pistol into the holster" .

The moral of the story,

Stay in the moment, or as my Mom would say,

"Pay Attention!"

On 6/13/2022 at 3:31 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That’s very good advice, a Zen thing is live in the moment! That’s kinda what you’re saying!B)

Yep, never thought of that but you're right!

Archived