SASS Wire Forum

CCI percussion caps problems

Lunger Dan

Right before the SHTF, I was lucky enough to grab up @ 1200 cci #10 caps. In individual blister packs of 100per tin.  Got them at Sportsman's warehouse.

Couple months ago, Id have about 3-4/100 from each tin that would have the ignition material just fall out like a little cake-not crumbly.

Yesterday, I had about 60-70 caps loaded in my straight lines...and I swear, they were just falling out left and right....probably about 5 or six from each inline cap holder....some just from turning upside down
It was humid, but caps were in shade...
These things arent being jostled about. They sit in the climate controlled cave in an ammo box

Anyone else having this happen?

As rare as caps are now, it pains me to see this happening ( not to mention the FTF I got when one fell out as I was loading at the table and didnt notice)
Anyone have a remedy? I was thinking maybe a touch of that nitro glue/ acetone mixture in each days before use-like they talk about for the DIY caps stuff.

I've had the little colored disc fall out of several different brands, but it may not be the primer material. I took some of them and put them on a flat piece of steel and banged them with a hammer and they do not detonate. The caps all still went off.

kR

2 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I've had the little colored disc fall out of several different brands, but it may not be the primer material. I took some of them and put them on a flat piece of steel and banged them with a hammer and they do not detonate. The caps all still went off.

kR

These fell out in 2 parts, the red paper disk as well as the grey "cake" leaving a perfectly clean shiny interior of a cap

52 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I'd suggest a missive to CCI outlining the problem.  Good chance they will replace them.

I guess that would be a good way to see if any existed at all !

I was given an old film canister full of unknown caps. I dumped a bunch out on a rag on my bench to measure. Had the same issue with almost half. Dumped all back in the canister, added oil and sent out with trash.

In the old days, we used to put a drop of lacquer into each cap to waterproof it.
With the way chemical formulas have changed, I don't know if that would still work, but I would try it with a few.

--Dawg

11 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

In the old days, we used to put a drop of lacquer into each cap to waterproof it.
With the way chemical formulas have changed, I don't know if that would still work, but I would try it with a few.

--Dawg

I was thinking the same thing but would a drop of nail polish work? What about water glass?

TS:

I would think a drop of clear nail polish would work too.
I don't know about water glass, as it is a water-based solution, and might kill the priming compound.

But, if you have water glass, try it with a few!

--Dawg

Lemmie see here.  A thousand or so "tins" of caps, in individual "blister packs."  Opening all those packs, Opening all those tins,  Orienting the little cups,  slowly and carefully putting 1000 drops of something into itty bitty little cups in the hope they go bang - vs - a missive to CCI.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I can hear it now

Customer:  I’ve got percussion caps that the insides are falling out. 

CCI:  We’re sorry, we don’t know why, but we’ll gladly replace them when we start production again

Customer:  When will you be making them again?  

CCI:  I’m sorry I don’t know when.  Due to Covid we’re having a labor shortage and due to Putin all our production is making primers for our own ammunition. 

Although the above might be a joke I can almost hear the conversation playing out. 

7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hey OP, what did CCI have to say?

On 6/13/2022 at 12:56 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I would be call'n CCI  ;) 

The situation:  There are no caps for sale anywhere-no bigbox store is getting any in, CCI is barely putting out primers for reloaders....
I dont believe for a minute, that a call to them about 2 year old(maybe more) primers would yield any type of satisfaction on my part. (I doubt it even in the good times). 
So, to be pro-active in a useful manner, what I have done is made a mixture of acetone and the nitrocellulose based Duco Cement and put a drop from the end of a swab stick in each cap. Waited 24 hours to dry . Tested , every one went off (I did 10) they passed the rattle in the tin as hard as possible test, and are even hotter than original manufacture. Oddly enough, another side affect was-out of every one-not a single one fell into 2 or more pieces after being hit-they came off/out as one unit.
I am not about to sit down and do a thousand at a time..nor 100 at a time-but when I roll up my paper charges (35) prior to a shoot-I can certainly lay out 40 caps and super cement them..takes about 4 minutes.
As far as the future tins I open and find any popped out-I will carefully try to re-construct them with the cakes found in the tin.

What we have to go through these days just to play:rolleyes:

Archived