SASS Wire Forum

Shooting is 90% mental

Rye Miles #13621

I have heard this before but the way I heard it was "shooting is 90% mental and  the rest of it is in your head".

First, look at his link, then try:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/it-s-90-percent-mental/

Sometimes when you post an entire link it gives too much (unneeded) information about your email.

The 90% idea is true IF...  if your are strong and healthy.  It does take some strength to properly and efficiently handle guns.  Plus move, plus have the required endurance for a match.

So it takes both mental and physical conditioning - just ask some of us older folk.

Shooting might be 90% mental for a lot of folks, but it can also be quite physically limited for very small people shooting front-heavy guns, or for folks who haven't yet had their cataracts operated, or those with serious arthritis in their hands.  Everyone is not necessarily the same.

Just sayin.  

Excellent article.  Very good pts.  You get out of it what you put into it.   

I don't know about the 90% figure...... BUT I do know that to achieve certain goals, you have to work hard to get there.

Working to achieve sub 2 seconds for 10 shot GF runs or sub 4 seconds for 6 shotgun runs requires setting your goals

to those measures previously thought 'impossible'.

But, as DDD stated above, ya gotta have some physical ability (no health barriers) to achieve those goals.  

As to how much the mental aspect is involved......... all I know is that ya gotta 'believe' that its possible and work hard to get there.

And it helps to have the $$$ to buy a lot of shotgun shells......... :lol:

..........Widder

That is one reason you should be practicing while on the speaker option of your phone. 

Very important when doing some with safety concerns such as shooting - or DRIVING.

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

all I know is that ya gotta 'believe' that its possible and work hard to get there.

I don't think "believe" is strong enough.  You have to "know" it's possible. 

And yeah, those championship belt buckles ain't cheap when you factor in the time and practice ammo they take to earn.

On 6/12/2022 at 10:59 AM, Doc Shapiro said:

I don't think "believe" is strong enough.  You have to "know" it's possible. 

And yeah, those championship belt buckles ain't cheap when you factor in the time and practice ammo they take to earn.

Lots of folks say I ain't got 90% mental..... :lol:

And TN Williams says I don't know nothing..... :P

..........Widder

Archived