SASS Wire Forum

Air Fryer

Buckshot Bear

Yep. We thought it was greatest thing ever too.

It’s in a cabinet somewhere in our kitchen. The novelty wore off pretty quick after having to clean that thing after each use. 

Great for making biscuits and cooking up chicken tenders. Ain’t hard to clean and doesn’t use anywhere near the electricity.  Also doesn’t heat up the kitchen in the summertime.

HELL! Schoolmarm baked a pie in it the other day! Crispy crust and the blueberry filling was PERFECT!

I bought mine on an impulse and I've been pretty happy with it.  The frozen chicken and shrimp meals you get at the store now taste good.  I've made won tons, empanadas, egg rolls and chicken tenders with it as well.   You can do all sorts of interesting things with empanada dough and an air fryer.

It is also great when I get home and don't feel like cooking.  Take a frozen shrimp or chicken store bought meal and in 8-10 minutes you have meal that required minimal effort to make.

1 minute ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Great for making biscuits and cooking up chicken tenders. Ain’t hard to clean and doesn’t use anywhere near the electricity.  Also doesn’t heat up the kitchen in the summertime.

HELL! Schoolmarm baked a pie in it the other day! Crispy crust and the blueberry filling was PERFECT!

I have one of those “tub” air fryers. 
My wife was looking at one from Costco that looks more like a toaster oven. Is that they type you have?

Yup. Great appliance!

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My wife was looking at one from Costco that looks more like a toaster oven. Is that they type you have?

Nope!! It’s the largest of the “tub” type.

I used to bake my biscuits and cinnamon rolls in a covered skillet in the oven and take the lid off for the last few minutes. They always came out perfect, but I had to watch ‘em some. 

Now we put ‘em in the air fryer and come back when the timer goes off.  Schoolmarm even does sliders with deli sliced cold cut and different cheeses on small Hawaian buns.  OUTSTANDING!!

They make special parchment for baking cookies and such and they come out great.  Our “tub” is immersible so you can wash it in the sink or put it in the dish washer.

We’re always trying new things with it.  She did a pecan pie last week!  The first try was not perfect, but now we know what to do the next time.

Looked at a couple combo units yesterday, instead replaced my faithful but failing Panasonic 1200 microwave with a virtually identical updated model, don't even have to learn a new device. Bought a one pot, never used it and gave it to one of the kids.  Enough small appliances in my place already!

19 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

We have one of the cabinet model air fryers and my wife uses it all of the time. She just made chili relleno casserole last night and it was wonderful.

All the frozen snacks and especially fried taters are WAAAY better out of the air fryer!  Fried chicken and stuff like fish sticks and egg rolls are crispy and far more satisfying.

I love our microwave, (which also does convection) but there’s a lot of stuff that is just so much better coming from the air fryer.

I’m going to pick up some chili cheese corn dogs next week to try in the air fryer!!

FYI, they also work to poly coat bullets. Just make sure that’s all you use it for. 

Mrs. Lose uses this one for something everyday it seems like. She’s cooked whole chickens, prime rib roasts and all sorts of other things in it. She’s been harvesting lots of zucchini from her garden lately and does fried zucchini a couple of times a week. She does a decadent dish of fried baby potato’s with garlic and rosemary for the weekly family meal and it’s rare that there are any leftovers. This one is a Breville and it was fairly pricey but well worth it in my opinion.

C5BBAFF3-9239-4D02-AE97-4837BF176548.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Does it use oil? Or just hot air?  If no oil, it’s really just a convection oven, forget the marketing hype, it’s not a fryer.

No oil. It’s just a small convection oven with a deep drawer. 

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Does it use oil? Or just hot air?  If no oil, it’s really just a convection oven, forget the marketing hype, it’s not a fryer.

Just goin' by what the thing is called and the food comes out as if its fried.

Wonderful bloody invention, can't believe it took us so long to get one.

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

We have a convection oven too but now that we have the air fryer we rarely use it.

On 6/11/2022 at 12:50 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It’s in a cabinet somewhere in our kitchen. The novelty wore off pretty quick after having to clean that thing after each use. 

Same with ours. My wife just HAD to have another one (we had one long ago and gave it away) so she bought one for her Christmas present. Not impressed. Need a degree in computer science to operate it, takes like 20 min. to pre heat, and is a PITA to clean up. Think she decided pretty quick it's more trouble than it's worth.

JHC

3 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Same with ours. My wife just HAD to have another one (we had one long ago and gave it away) so she bought one for her Christmas present. Not impressed. Need a degree in computer science to operate it, takes like 20 min. to pre heat, and is a PITA to clean up. Think she decided pretty quick it's more trouble than it's worth.

JHC

You have a very poorly designed cooker. Mine preheats in about a minute and works well.

GoWISE USA 1700-Watt 5.8-QT 8-in-1 Digital Air Fryer with Recipe Book, Black

We started with an inexpensive tub design air fryer.  I didn't want to drop a bunch of money on something I wasn't going to use.  It was a great purchase. I loved it for fresh cut steak fries and frozen egg rolls.  

When Costco ran a sale on a large toaster oven size air fryer, we bought it.  It has now replaced our convection oven and toaster oven.  There is a bit of a learning curve with the unit.  My first attempt with frozen biscuits yielded burnt exteriors with doughy insides.  Now that I've figured out how to use it properly, I love it.

The unit we bought is listed below and Costco running it on sale again.  No, I don't work there, but it's 5 minutes away and I'm addicted to their samples. 

Cuisinart Digital AirFry Toaster Oven | Costco

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You have a very poorly designed cooker. Mine preheats in about a minute and works well.

GoWISE USA 1700-Watt 5.8-QT 8-in-1 Digital Air Fryer with Recipe Book, Black

That could be. She picked it, not me. "Yes dear" is often a viable solution if it's not an enormous amount of $$$

JHC

flyout slide 1 of 7, NuWave 38001 Brio 14 qt Air Fryer

This looks like the one we have or close to it. Of course she also had to have a roller cart and another $100 or so of gizmos that weren't included. That's the second one we've had that sucked, so I'm not in a big itch to buy any more.

JHC :angry:

flyout slide 1 of 7, NuWave 38001 Brio 14 qt Air Fryer

On 6/11/2022 at 1:50 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My son bought one, used it once and was not impressed. He gave it to his neighbor. He offered it to me but I said "No thanks".

Archived