SASS Wire Forum

crossdraw rig on a "portly" body

Last Call Saul

I use a LH09-Champion Kircpatrick straight draw rig currently.  I bought it used from a retired cowboy and while the belt is in good shape, the rig's holsters also near retirement age.

I just bought an amazing Black Hills cross draw rig at the swap meet on a local match. tt fits me perfectly, but when I tried it on I had no chance to actually draw from the left holster. So when I decided to practice the crossdraw dance before the next match, I ran into a problem. 

I am a "big bellied" guy.  I wear 38 size jeans, but I wear them "under" my belly.  when I put the rig on, the crossdraw holster is...ahem..hard to reach as it is under the muffin top :) if I move it to the side, where I would wear my straighdraw holster, it is hard to reach to with the right hand due to the long reach/short arm...and the crossdraw dance required to maintain 170 rule becomes more than quarter turn...

Is this a common problem for people of my body type?  anyone has any tricks on how to overcome it?  And don't start with "loose weight" please :) I am looking for an easier way out :)

here is a picture of me, so you can see my body shape 

286368477_5097835413619013_5810826637793629353_n.jpg

Not to be unkind, however you will probably not find a "workable" cross-draw solution.  My suggestion would be to return to Double Strong Side.  Or, Draw your cross-draw holster with your "off" hand and hand the gun off to your shooting hand, returning the gun to leather in the same but reversed manner.  Maybe do-able??

1 minute ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Not to be unkind, however you will probably not find a "workable" cross-draw solution.  My suggestion would be to return to Double Strong Side.  Or, Draw your cross-draw holster with your "off" hand and hand the gun off to your shooting hand, returning the gun to leather in the same but reversed manner.  Maybe do-able??

that's the same conclusion I arrived to as well :(

drawing with the off hand will negate any performance advantage that crossdraw would give me... oh well 

Well I’m built a lot like you but since the first of the year I’ve lost 37lbs and unfortunately not much of it has been the muffin top.  I gave up on the cross draw idea early on because of the issues that you describe and used 2 strong side and handed off left hand to right hand and then I tried double duelist for awhile and for the last 10 years or so I’ve been a gunfighter. You might want to consider something like that. Good luck with whatever you choose. 

Scootch that crossdraw over to the right. Wind up with your pistol butt just on left side of your belly button. Try to start most stages with cross draw pistol first, standing with left foot forward body at angle. (No need to dance) after shooting first pistol transfer it to left hand and holster, while drawing right hand pistol and squaring up to target. 

Have you thought about wearing the belt rig higher with a belt extender? That may let you wear the xdraw closer to the front without any obstacles in yer way. 

There ain't no rule what says yer shotgun belt has to be above yer holster rig either. It may work better below it. 

hm... all interesting ideas... well. I have a shoot tomorrow, and it's my last monthly before the IL state shoot on July 13th... I will keep shooting what I am used to, but after the State shoot, I will experiment, or will list it for sale and someone will get an amazing rig for an amazing price

I had a similar problem because I  have a similar body shape.  The solution is to dump the size 38 pants and the belt that holds them up.  Get some pants that will go around the real waist which is at your belly button and use braces (suspenders) to hold them up.  This will move the belt and cross draw holster to a place that you can reach it and draw it out.  Sometimes the shotgun belt gets in the way but if you swing the cartridge loops to the right it will get it mostly out of the way.  It is not a perfect solution but it works better then trying to draw a gun you cannot find or reach.

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

Also, you got me wondering just how those pistol holsters would work on your sg belt. Just brainstorming...

I was kinda thinking the same thing.  The extra weight could be an issue as far as staying up.  And if you grab shells with your left hand the pistol butt might be in the way a little.  But maybe...?

Salty Paul,

We are built so much alike,I could be your body double!

I think Hoss has the solution to your predicament.Try moving your crossdraw holster more toward the centerline of your body,nearly to the appendix position,with your strongside holster where it is most comfortable for you.Ilike mine directly in line with my right forearm. Draw your left revolver first,and after firing,grasp it with your left hand over the backstrap and reholster.The movement is nearly straight down to the holster.By placing your left foot forward ,at about a 45 degree angle to the target,you can all but eliminate " the dance".A little upper body twist is all that's needed.

Hope this helps, and of course,YMMV. 

Choctaw Jack 

I would lose some weight and you accomplish  your problem and may also keep you alive to enjoy the game a while longer.

Best Wishes

JB

7 minutes ago, john brown said:

I would lose some weight and you accomplish  your problem and may also keep you alive to enjoy the game a while longer.

Best Wishes

JB

Well said!

1 hour ago, Skullbone Willie said:

I’m a big dude that uses a cross draw. I draw it with my left hand, transfer to the right, shoot and back into my left hand to holster while transferring to the next gun. Works good for me. 

while just the opposite body type - no hips , i have difficulty keeping my pants tight and my gunbelt in place , i do use this same method with my crossdraw and altho slower i find it to work well without a lot of thought involved other than to decide which to draw first 

If drawing a crossdraw gun with the weak hand, just be sure the holster exposes enough of the gun and that your grab is such that you don't accidently cock the hammer on the draw.

1. You might consider a bigger belt worn higher with the cross draw holster just to the left of your center line. I would go with a bandolier rather than a shotgun belt.

2. You could lose weight. I know you said you want the easy solution, but take it from me, done right it’s not that hard to drop 30+ pounds. I went from a 36 to a 30, if I can, I’m sure you can. You’ll gain a lot more speed that way than you will going to crossdraw.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

. I went from a 36 to a 30, if I can, I’m sure you can. 

I always wondered who that guy was on those commercials. Now I know.

Archived