SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Talo .44-40 Vaqueros

Buckshot Bear

i thought so too , but then i considered that your getting two guns each and it made it a little better - but still a long way north of wjhat payed for mine without the extra cylinders , but then that is near a decade ago now , they do look nice tho 

Bear,

Have your friend check the diameter of the "throats" on the .44-40 cylinders.  If I remember correctly, many of the Ruger .44-40 cylinders were a little undersized on the breach end of the cylinder and needed to be opened up a little.  Someone who owns a set of these revolvers might chime in with more exact info. 

You never know, the previous owner may have already had this done.

1 hour ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Bear,

Have your friend check the diameter of the "throats" on the .44-40 cylinders.  If I remember correctly, many of the Ruger .44-40 cylinders were a little undersized on the breach end of the cylinder and needed to be opened up a little.  Someone who owns a set of these revolvers might chime in with more exact info. 

You never know, the previous owner may have already had this done.

These are brand new from Ruger. 

17 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Yes, the 44 Mag New Vaquero is built on the original full size frame. 

Which means you can load them up to SASS-max velocities. Slug the .44-40 throats. If they are .425" you have two choices: either have them reamed out to .429" or shoot .429-.430" diameter hardcast (BHN 17-22) bullets in Winchester brass (check to see if the cartridges will chamber with that diameter bullet).  Eight (8.0) grains of Unique or Hodgdon's Universal with a 210 gr bullet should give you slightly under 950 ft/sec, depending on air temperature.  Drop the charges to 7.5 gr. in the .44 Mangle-em and you should get identical velocities and point of impact. I have a pair of OMV's that I had fitted with the alternate cylinders, with the .44-40's with the .425" throats, and use those loads and get excellent accuracy and virtually NO leading.  The reason the bullets work with the tight throats is that being hard, they compress going through the throats, but the dwell time is too short to dissipate the internal stress in the bullet and they then re-expand in the barrel forcing cone.

Now, what you need is a rifle in each caliber (I use two Rossi '92's).  Just be sure to grab the right rifle to match the cylinder! ;)

Thanks I'll pass the info on. He's a new shooter (and new member) and just getting reloading gear setup etc

He's a really nice family guy (one of those pards that you wish you could get more of in a club) and his wife is lovely and shooting as well and both have added a lot to the club.

Want to try and help out as much as possible. From reading up (Google) the Ruger .44-40s can have this problem. Not insurmountable by any means but good to have the info.

He's also getting a very nice new Uberti '73 .44-40 slicked up by a gunsmith and has gotten his Huglu SxS hammer gun. Him and his wife are in boots'n'all. 

On 6/11/2022 at 9:03 PM, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Around US $3,000 or so.

At the current exchange rate about US$2680.00  ??

Archived