SASS Wire Forum

Old Model Vaquero (OMV) Color Case Hardened 45 Colt Value?

Uno Mas  SASS #80082

Buddy is offering me an Old Model Vaquero 5.5" Color Case Hardened in 45 Colt.  Says he'll give it to me for a "Good Buddy Deal." <Shudder> He got it in trade for some mechanical work, so he "Knows 'Nuuuthin" about its history. Supposed to be in good shape, but he isn't a hardcore gunnie. I usually shoot 38s, but I have a .45 Colt 1873 Lever for Wild Bunchers. 

Quick guesstimate about its value? 

Thank ye in advance!

Hey, Lumps! Good to see you! 

But, MISSOURI??? Weren't you in Arizona?   Man, I've been away from the fire too long.

Knew that about the Rugers.  Supposedly, the high temps required by an ol' fashioned color case hardening wouldn't do the already very strong steel Ruger was using any good. Or it was cheaper... Or both. 

Sure is purty though. 

To the OP

At the time I bought mine (about 5 years ago) it was $550 shipped. 
Sold it to a “good buddy” last summer for $750 shipped. I have seen them as high as $900 plus shipping. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW I prefer stainless, so the fake CCH didn’t add/subtract anything one way or the other to me. 

1 hour ago, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

Hey, Lumps! Good to see you! 

But, MISSOURI??? Weren't you in Arizona?   Man, I've been away from the fire too long.

Knew that about the Rugers.  Supposedly, the high temps required by an ol' fashioned color case hardening wouldn't do the already very strong steel Ruger was using any good. Or it was cheaper... Or both. 

Sure is purty though. 

Not AZ, moved to Missouri 2+ yrs ago.

• Uno Mas SASS #80082 changed the title to Old Model Vaquero (OMV) Color Case Hardened 45 Colt Value?
4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Not AZ, moved to Missouri 2+ yrs ago.

Sorry, my Blonde.

$600 to $900 is a normal price range today for a used OMV 45 Colt these days.

Did the deed. 

Ol' girl has seen some miles, been ridden hard and put away wet. Prolly an ex-SASS pistola, given the trigger job and the Eagle grips. The pard didn't believe in lubrication, and she was a dirty, dirty girl (rowrrr) - black powder?  Overall, not in too bad of shape, a little holster wear around the muzzle, some flaws in the case coloring, and an idiot scratch. No rust, and the bore - with several runs of the bore snake - was bright, with well-defined lands and grooves.  The trigger was light and crisp.

She cleans up nicely, don't she? 

i-mxqBStc-M.jpg

Gonna enjoy plinking with her.  A suitable companion to my Wild Bunch 1873 45 Colt Lever. 

19 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Good on ya , Uno. You done gave that poor orphan a happy home.:lol:

Rex :D

That... And I'm a Scot [Cheeeeeeeeeaaaaapppp!!!]  ;)

44 Special/ 44 Mags or 44-40s?  Rare birds, both.

Meownself, I shoot 5.5" SS OMV Bisleys in .38/ .357. Love 'em to death.  Love those OMVs. 

Kinda fun: Field stripping, degrunging, detail cleaning, oiling and greasing, a bit of tung oil on the stocks, a little light polishing, and...

The orphan now looks, feels and operates like a different, much better, gun.  

I think there's a full tear-down and renovation in its future.

39 minutes ago, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

Kinda fun: Field stripping, degrunging, detail cleaning, oiling and greasing, a bit of tung oil on the stocks, a little light polishing, and...

The OMV now looks, operates and feels like a different, much better, gun.  

I think there's a full tear-down and renovation in its future.

Just rebuilt both of mine. Ruger had everything I wanted. 

3 hours ago, &quot;Big Boston&quot; said:

The CCH faux finish was real hit or miss. I have a OMV in 44-40 that was a hit, nice and bright after many years. The worst were the NMV, most were bad and IIRC Ruger quit making them as they could not get a good durable CCH look.

1992952127_OMV4440.thumb.jpg.b325222e982006314fc0143531627313.jpg

EPA banned the use of Arsenic acid which was the wash used. 

Archived