SASS Wire Forum

Lever and buttstock wraps

Rye Miles #13621

Probably not for the same thing we use them for. The stuff I've seen (except for native american decorations) were mostly for function such as repair. I have a 150 year old m/l bp shotgun that was my GG Grandfathers that has a repair to the buttstock wrist that was cracked. He took a piece of brass (maybe flattened wire?) and wrapped the cracked area and fastened it with small nails. He made it look like a small rattlesnake. Decorative functional repair. Seen quite a bit of it.

While looking up the history of leather wrapped stocks I found this really cool article about how guns were toted in the Old  West.

https://truewestmagazine.com/rifle-packin-in-the-old-west/

I have looked through a lot of old photos taken back in the Old West and I really do not recall ever seeing  a buttstock wrap on a rifle. Not saying they didn't do it, I just haven't seen photos of it.

Is there any way to tell, from looking at the saddle or bridle, whether a picture has been flipped?

saddle-scabbard.jpg.webp

I don't do horses. Don't carry a lariat. But seems like every picture I've ever seen, the rope is on the right side of the horse.

I recall reading some years ago about a cowboy doing a buttstock wrap on a shotgun because he put a spacer in it because he kept getting a bloody nose from a too short stock. Wish I could remember where I saw that.

Howdy,

Looks like maybe he is wearing a wedding ring on his left hand, maybe.

Based on that I vote NOT flipped.

Best

CR

Here is the picture flipped.

Snip-it_1654888711960.jpg.29fdffe50632a4601990ec614ee89f40.jpg

In the studio shot below one would assume Ira was right handed primarily based on the placement of the revolver in his gun belt which could not be draw with a left hand.

Snip-it_1654889276677.thumb.jpg.f813e491356ee392843074a9b430145e.jpg

It would then make a case for the picture not to be flipped IMHO, as his rifle, knife and pistol could be draw with his right hand.

3 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Yes, but they looked kind of funny!:lol:

image.png.eb14b4daaa9a306072e86cec20ace881.png

That’s from the movie Monte Walsh!

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Is there any way to tell, from looking at the saddle or bridle, whether a picture has been flipped?

saddle-scabbard.jpg.webp

I don't do horses. Don't carry a lariat. But seems like every picture I've ever seen, the rope is on the right side of the horse.

While many do carry a lariat on the right side pommel, it's not mandatory by any means.  I always did...

Most every bridle has the headstall buckle on the left side (as this appears).  I can't make out the throatlatch buckle very clearly, but it appears to be on the proper (left) side as well. I can't make out the cinch as Ira's got too much gear hangin' off that side!

Regardless of side, I HATE carrying a rifle butt-forward horseback. Get into a hurry and snake that rifle out past that horse's head and you may find yourself in a rodeo...and I'm getting too old for such foolishness. "Butt to the rear" carry for me...

Maybe that helps, maybe it don't...

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That’s from the movie Monte Walsh!

(I know!):D

2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Here is the picture flipped.

Snip-it_1654888711960.jpg.29fdffe50632a4601990ec614ee89f40.jpg

In the studio shot below one would assume Ira was right handed primarily based on the placement of the revolver in his gun belt which could not be draw with a left hand.

Also, the brand(?) of AH seems more probable than HA.

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

saddle-scabbard.jpg.webp

If you flip the photo the horse is pointed the opposite direction, you still don't see the other side

Archived