SASS Wire Forum

Just a few of the jobs that no longer exist

Ice was still delivered in my earliest childhood neighborhood though we had a monitor top refrigerator.  Milk was delivered as were baked goods, well into the fifties where I grew.   up.  To this day here in rural Montana, there is a delivery service that specializes in frozen food, and everyone has refrigerators and freezers!  Things change, but there are usually vestiges of the past!

I was a pinsetter, a paper boy, and root beer stand parking lot cleaner-upper, and a pearl diver (dish washer), assembled mannequins  and assembled cardboard boxes for a ladies' dress shop, worked as a stock boy and window washer for F. W. Woolworth.  I helped a man install milk shed refrigeration and water sanitizing equipment, was a janitor, ran a surplus acquisition shop for a college, and tore down old school desks (I wish I have scooped u pa couple of those), and dug up and sold fishing worms.  For about two months I helped a cousin strip and repaint a bunch of surplus metal office furniture for his new business.  I painted signs using rubber lettering masters and spray paint can.  I also picked string beans, bucked bales, and ran an empty tin can depalletizer for a Del Monte cannery.  The last was what I was doing when I got married.  It was a fill-in job until I had to report to APG for my first military assignment.  I haven't knowingly eaten a canned pea since.

I went bowling with some cousins in the vicinity of Pollard Arkansas in 1975 at a tiny bowling alley with either 4 or 6 lanes that still used pin boys. There are probably a small handful of places around that still operate this way.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

757 Gas Station Attendant Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos from  Dreamstime

Required by the state of NJ.

It is illegal to pump your own gas there.

4 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Required by the state of NJ.

It is illegal to pump your own gas there.

Yep, wanted to flatten a gas jockey there that ran high test all over my Harley. Did a lot of smoking on the engine, but by the grace of God didn't ignite. Took almost 2 years to get the yellow that ensued out of the clear coat. :ph34r: Real good thing the wife was there! It pizzes me off now just remembering. Never bought gas again in NJ.

39 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Doctors that made house calls. I was born at home. Cost $20. 

I remember my doctor coming to our house when I was a kid to treat my mumps !!

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I think I found a job Forty Rod didn't do.  ;):P

Lamp Lighter.

https://doyouremember.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/3-52.jpg

There are more, but since I was ten years old I've had well over a hundred.  Some only lasted a few days, the longest was eleven years but I had five or six side jobs during that time, too.....and I had a lot of second jobs, as well.  Whatever it took to tree the coon and put food on the table

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Many print operations involving lead type, both precast and hotlead operations, many of which I was involved in. I did typesetting as a summer job and later computer work to eliminate the job.

There was a Pressman's Home in East Tennessee for training and convalescence for members who became I'll. It is still there but deserted.

30 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Knife and scissor grinder, and the guy who would tin copper pots.  Worked out of their cars and were often Romany.

Tinkers. Small item repairmen. A tinkers dam was a small dam of clay around the hole in your pot tha he poured 'pot metal' into and hammered smooth. 

Then the dam was broken out and discarded. Hence the phrase ' I don't give a tinkers dam about it.' No worries lost about a useless thing

Leech collector

In the mid-1800s when medical professionals believed that bloodletting could cure an illness or disease, leech collectors were responsible for retrieving the blood-sucking insects from their natural habitat for doctors to use.

I like leeches. :lol:

Toad doctor

Starting in the 1600s, doctors and medical researchers believed that toads had healing properties, and they started to use toads in the practice of medicine. Toad doctors would practice a medicinal folk magic in western England until the end of the 19th century, using dried and powdered toads to soothe inflammation as well as relieve headaches and a skin condition known today as scrofula.

I like toads. :lol:

Just now, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:
Toad doctor

Starting in the 1600s, doctors and medical researchers believed that toads had healing properties, and they started to use toads in the practice of medicine. Toad doctors would practice a medicinal folk magic in western England until the end of the 19th century, using dried and powdered toads to soothe inflammation as well as relieve headaches and a skin condition known today as scrofula.

I like toads. :lol:

All that quackery is alive and well on the internet!  Add Medicine Show too!  I get a dozen a day in my mail.

Archived