SASS Wire Forum

Barn Finds

Not as exciting as a mint Bugatti, or Alvin York's missing 1911.  And actually "attic finds."  But still....

Had supper tonight with a good buddy of twenty-five plus years and his wife.  Likely the last meal we'll ever share - they're pulling up stakes and gettin' the hell outta Dodge.  Abandoning california, and good on 'em; they'll be settling near Jackson, Tennessee, after years of planning.  

Anyway, while packing and clearing out the old homestead, my buddy came across a couple of ancient and abandoned Savage .22 rifles in the attic, and sent them home with me.    

The first is a Savage Model 3, single shot, with no serial number.  Second is a Savage Sporter, possibly a predecessor to the 23 or 23A, with neither model number nor serial number.  

These poor beasts have been neglected for decades.  The stocks are dried out and covered with almost petrified layers of dust.  The external metal parts are quite rusty.  However, the bores are very good!  I suspect the wax  from who-knows-how many bullets passing through the tubes have done a remarkable job of protecting them.

Mechanically, not perfect - the Model 3 is missing the cocking piece at the aft end of the bolt.  The Sporter is complete except for a "thumbscrew" that may be missing from the bottom of the magazine.  Not sure how that's supposed to work, but replacement magazines are quite dear.

I'm looking forward to doing "Mark Novak" inspired recovery jobs on these li'l toys, although initial web searches for the Model 3's missing bolt part(s) drew blanks.

Thoughts or suggestions?  :)

Savage Model 3

image.jpeg.891e2c0b67cf6ea6a3f2f684c0fe71d8.jpeg

Savage Sporter

image.jpeg.9f0986b29454f8350b44cd923e6d388d.jpeg

Boil in water, then use 0000 steel wool or a carding wheel, ala Mark Novak.

Sir 

the sporter ,  I belive is a Mod 29 , the 29a and 29b were a total redesign , the bolt parts do not interchange 

I an still trying to smooth out one , for the grandson , has been a challange , so far , 

as to the Mod 3 , I am clueless , as to a parts source at this time 

Chickasaw Bill 

My only barn find was a 1957 Sportster XL basket case, in a barn in Meridian, ID.
I did get this put together again and rode it quite awhile, solid it around 1970.
Only recently, did I find out how collectible this rare model really is. 

The lesson learned from barn finds and basket cases: one must have sufficient funds, motivation and space to renovate them.
If one does not have all three... the project is doomed to failure at worst, or mediocrity at best.

I wish you the best of success in your project.

My son's project car, coming off the transport truck, on the day of delivery.

Not a Barn Find; More a Prairie Find in Montana, where it was not road worthy, but used to help herd cattle!

The other picture is what it looks like now.

A total rebuild.; taken apart, sand-blasted, primed and painted inside and out.

All new interior then a computer system installed to activate some neat "tricks"

A real HERBIE the Love Bug!

Ian's 1962 VW Bug 032.jpg

IANs VW 1 Scan_0001.jpg

IANs VW 7 Scan_0001.jpg

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Looks like a job for TLC, then test fire then Cerakote. :)

No Cerakote.   They deserve real bluing and a nice rub down on the wood.

Or.....you could send them to me.  I'll give them to my gin smith for restoration and then give them a lot of TLC and respect.

I may have a complete rifle in the back of the safe. I'll try to check tonight. At least give you an idea what you may need for the Model 3.

Nice find!

As an electrician, I've been in a bunch of attics. Many, many times I've seen guns (mainly shotguns and .22's) that were just rusting away. Early in my career, I asked a homeowner if they wanted to sell the gun in the attic. You'd think that I just threatened to rob his house, got mad at the thought of someone shooting his dead uncle's gun...the one rusting in the attic. After that, I never said anything to any homeowner about the rusting guns in the attic... much as I wanted to.

I was working on a house, years ago, that was a complete remodel for a GC. I found a bayonet w/sheath about 10' from a scuttle hole and brought it out. I asked the GC if he wanted it, he said no. The blade and hilt were in real good condition but the sheath had a big dent in it about 3" from the end. It sat around here for years. Occasionally, when give the opportunity, I would try it on different rifles to figure out what it fit. Never found a match for it...until...I gave to a gentleman in Colorado that had a extensive collection of edged weapons. He quickly matched it up with an Japanese Arisaka rifle. The bayonet now resides at a VFW post on display. 

I'm glad you rescued those two rifles from that attic. I wish that I could have saved all that I saw.

As Doc asked, please keep us up to date on the restoration. I'd like to know what process you use to remove the surface rust/corrosion.

@Dusty Devil Dale, I did try Numrich... and Jack First, CFN Parts, even EBAY.  It got kinda late out last night with the Internet "rabbit hole."  ^_^

I'm nothing if not persistent.  At some point I'll actually make some phone calls, and if no joy then I'll put the plea out on "Rimfire Central" for other suggestions.

@Forty Rod SASS 3935, I agree wit' ya on what they deserve, and intend to pursue that.  Uh... I'll take your other suggestion  under advisement....  :rolleyes:

For perspective:

About 1971 or so, I was visiting an aunt, when my then seven or eight year old cousin found a "shotgun" on the roof of her garage.  My two sister aunts - the garage owner and his ma - hastily asked me to "get rid of it," which I naturally agreed to do forthwith.

Well, the "shotgun" turned out to be a Type 99 Arisaka, in worse shape than these two.  All moving parts totally frozen; rusted, caked with crud, mud, and undoubtedly bird poop after who-knows-how many years basking on that roof.  Oh... and missing the bolt knob, firing pin, and spring.  Just the sight of the thing would gag a maggot!  I tried to give it to a couple of gun-buddies; they wouldn't touch it.  Fortunately for me...

So, I leaned it in a corner in my frat house bedroom, and started a routine of once a week hitting all parts that should move with a li'l blast of either WD-40 or Liquid Wrench, alternating from week to week.  After a few months, I picked it up one day and whacked the bolt handle - the sumbidge moved!!

I set to work, and eventually managed to get it apart without damaging anything.  And of course, the chrome-lined bore (that was a surprise!) shined like a mirror.  Over the next few weeks, with judicious scrubbing with oil, brass brushes, bronze wool and 0000 steel wool, I was pleasantly surprised to see THIS emerge:

image.thumb.jpeg.6379d78bfea92fdded693f32ff83e5cb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5b076f5c90ef65b1a426fb929b590be4.jpeg

Val Giannini (of the long gone Val's Gun Shop in North Beach) found me replacements for the missing bolt knob, firing pin and spring, in a box in a closet.  Think he charged me five bucks.  The thing is a delight to shoot, and the only issue I've ever had with it is the price of ammo.  

There's definitely hope for the little "Twenty-Twices."  :)

13 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I may have a complete rifle in the back of the safe. I'll try to check tonight. At least give you an idea what you may need for the Model 3.

Kewl, Slim!  Thankee~!!  :)

There's literally a hole in the back of the bolt - just looking at it, I can't see how the knob would even attach... and have not yet been able to find a clear drawing, schematic, or picture....

41 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

No Cerakote.   They deserve real bluing and a nice rub down on the wood.

Or.....you could send them to me.  I'll give them to my gin smith for restoration and then give them a lot of TLC and respect.

Cerakote is a cheap way to dress up a banged up abused gun. 

Best thing i have used is a stainless steel pot scrubber (looks like a bunch of drill shavings) from the dollar store & WD-40 or other oil.

Scrubbing cuts off the "furry" rust but leaves the bluing (if there is any there) .

Good thing is you really can do some scrubbing & not hurt the finish.  

Worked well on many an eyesore that cleaned up very well.

Don't have the issues as you sometimes get with steel wool of actually removing the bluing.

Have fun.

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

@Dusty Devil Dale, I did try Numrich... and Jack First, CFN Parts, even EBAY.  It got kinda late out last night with the Internet "rabbit hole."  ^_^

I'm nothing if not persistent.  At some point I'll actually make some phone calls, and if no joy then I'll put the plea out on "Rimfire Central" for other suggestions.

@Forty Rod SASS 3935, I agree wit' ya on what they deserve, and intend to pursue that.  Uh... I'll take your other suggestion  under advisement....  :rolleyes:

For perspective:

About 1971 or so, I was visiting an aunt, when my then seven or eight year old cousin found a "shotgun" on the roof of her garage.  My two sister aunts - the garage owner and his ma - hastily asked me to "get rid of it," which I naturally agreed to do forthwith.

Well, the "shotgun" turned out to be a Type 99 Arisaka, in worse shape than these two.  All moving parts totally frozen; rusted, caked with crud, mud, and undoubtedly bird poop after who-knows-how many years basking on that roof.  Oh... and missing the bolt knob, firing pin, and spring.  Just the sight of the thing would gag a maggot!  I tried to give it to a couple of gun-buddies; they wouldn't touch it.  Fortunately for me...

So, I leaned it in a corner in my frat house bedroom, and started a routine of once a week hitting all parts that should move with a li'l blast of either WD-40 or Liquid Wrench, alternating from week to week.  After a few months, I picked it up one day and whacked the bolt handle - the sumbidge moved!!

I set to work, and eventually managed to get it apart without damaging anything.  And of course, the chrome-lined bore (that was a surprise!) shined like a mirror.  Over the next few weeks, with judicious scrubbing with oil, brass brushes, bronze wool and 0000 steel wool, I was pleasantly surprised to see THIS emerge:

image.thumb.jpeg.6379d78bfea92fdded693f32ff83e5cb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5b076f5c90ef65b1a426fb929b590be4.jpeg

Val Giannini (of the long gone Val's Gun Shop in North Beach) found me replacements for the missing bolt knob, firing pin and spring, in a box in a closet.  Think he charged me five bucks.  The thing is a delight to shoot, and the only issue I've ever had with it is the price of ammo.  

There's definitely hope for the little "Twenty-Twices."  :)

Nice job Hardpan

A family in my neighborhood had a Winchester High Wall I 32 Winchester in the barn until in mid-70s. Bullet mold and reloading tool. Long full length hex barrel. Probably weighed 13 lbs.  Story goes they had bought it an estate sale back in the Depression for $2.75.  They used it to kill hogs. Mary's brother got ahold of it to clean up.  I actually did some of the work.  Figured out it had a singe set trigger. They had no idea. 

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Cerakote is a cheap way to dress up a banged up abused gun. 

But IMHO, it looks way too modern for a classic old gun.

Even a carefully applied cold blue would look better and I have seen some very satisfactory cold blue jobs.

Some pics of the bolt of a model 3! My brother in law had this and a Remington in cases under an open window for years. They looked like yours. I nickel plated the bolts and the barrel of the M3. Refinish for the stock.IMG_20220614_195534712.thumb.jpg.9850cf2381fb571f7dc12babe4a52139.jpgIMG_20220614_195555225.thumb.jpg.706f3601a6c9da0303f5ff88baa2f7b8.jpgIMG_20220614_195848670.thumb.jpg.2ccd6aa6481e923e604cb22acad9da7f.jpg

@Michigan Slim, that's IT~!!!  :lol:

Okay, now I know what I need to look for - thankee!!!  ^_^

I suspect it'll be a bit of a challenge, but hey - there's a gun show in Fresno this weekend... mebbe I can get lucky with someone's box of "scrounge" parts.  :)

The pics are gonna be a great help!! 

Here's what I have to work with:

image.png.aa081558e10f0ee213bd564d17f732dd.png

image.png.5066e0156105b98bc425b981cc92875f.png               

image.png.967ee4a47885928bf1de1c6f627b9a5b.png

I suspect that my best bet will be finding an entire bolt assembly.... but at least I know what the heck to look for!   :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

It looks like they have a beautiful rust blue finish (in brown) already in progress.  I'd try soft buffing (without boiling) and see where it took me.  If not yet pitted, they could turn out stunning! 

On 6/9/2022 at 8:09 AM, Rip Snorter said:

Worst case, I saw a really nice floor lamp made out of a couple of old long guns.

I have a beautiful, but non-functional, "Hammond Bulldog" .44 extra short rimfire that I rescued from being a desk lamp.  It cleaned up very nicely and live in a frame on my office wall along with three other guns. 

Archived