SASS Wire Forum

Little Big Horn Colt

Frybread Fred

Maybe my math is a little rusty - but if 600 pieces from lot 5 went to the 7th Cav.

Doesn't the counter run true as well?

400 pieces did not.

This gun "regardless" of story or "authentication" (which only means - yes, its a Colt s/n such and such) is nearly as likely to NOT be a Custer battlefield gun as is it likely to legitimately be.

And in my eyes - because of condition is more likely to have not been a battlefield pickup.  Remember there was a war going on - a firearm dropped, lost or discarded on the battlefield by the 7th Cavalry and picked up would have continued its service in the hands of the Indians - Not gone into storage.

The condition leads me to believe this was more likely stolen, lost or "claimed" lost shortly after issue - which would just as conveniently account for its lack of history.

Of course, I admit I am a pessimist and a doubter - but Google searches are a thing and I always question the stories that start with someone knowing WHAT they have, knowing the HISTORY of the item and then seemingly having ZERO idea that it could be worth something.

30 minutes ago, Frybread Fred said:

I'd still like to have it, even if it was not a battlefield pick up.

Fantastic piece of history, but a smidge above my pay grade.

Now, if it was yours, would you shoot it?

I would.

I would have to...

At least once.

16 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Maybe my math is a little rusty - but if 600 pieces from lot 5 went to the 7th Cav.

Doesn't the counter run true as well?

400 pieces did not.

This gun "regardless" of story or "authentication" (which only means - yes, its a Colt s/n such and such) is nearly as likely to NOT be a Custer battlefield gun as is it likely to legitimately be.

And in my eyes - because of condition is more likely to have not been a battlefield pickup.  Remember there was a war going on - a firearm dropped, lost or discarded on the battlefield by the 7th Cavalry and picked up would have continued its service in the hands of the Indians - Not gone into storage.

The condition leads me to believe this was more likely stolen, lost or "claimed" lost shortly after issue - which would just as conveniently account for its lack of history.

Of course, I admit I am a pessimist and a doubter - but Google searches are a thing and I always question the stories that start with someone knowing WHAT they have, knowing the HISTORY of the item and then seemingly having ZERO idea that it could be worth something.

I agree that the condition of the gun mitigates against it being a "battlefield pickup".  The fact that an Indian originally brought the gun into the Denver shop could indicate that the gun was picked up on the battlefield...by a Lakota or Cheyenne warrior, and that it might have gone to Canada with Tatanka Iotanka (Sitting Bull), and later returned stateside, only to be turned over to the Indian Police at one of the reservations. Could the gun been issued to one of the Crow scouts with the 7th, who kept it and cared for it?  Yet another possibility is that it never left Ft. Abraham Lincoln, but was subsequently issued to one of the "Custer's Avengers", the troopers enlisted to reconstitute the 7th after the battle.  The holster, if indeed it was brought in by the Indian with the gun, is NOT a standard issue CW through the 1870's one.  Was this just something the Indian found or at least had been with the gun when he acquired it?  

Definitely an interesting piece.  If only the gun could talk! :rolleyes:

I've seen that there are a few guns forensicly linked to the battlefield by cases found there and matched to a specific gun. Maybe just rifles though. They were able to find cases at different locations from the same guns. I assume this is not one of the claims about this gun specifically. 

i may be mistaken but , there were reno and benteen troops that made it back , perhaps one of theirs ? they were at the battlefield but would not have left their weapons 

Archived