SASS Wire Forum

On the subject of .22 REVOLVERS ~ favorites...?

I know, it's hard not posting about revolvers in a pistol thread.  So here we go~!  :lol:

I'm actually more of a revolver kinda guy than pistol; just haven't had many in the venerable .22 caliber. 

The first of the small number when I was 14, and living in Texas, was a .22 Rohm POS that likely ended up as a flaw in a manhole cover casting.

Twenty-five years later I almost had a 9-shot double action revolver.  At this point, I honestly cannot recall whether it was a High Standard or H&R, but it was well made.  I wish I still had it.  A bit of a story behind that one that I'll share later.

About seven or eight years ago a very dear lady friend (she was the big sister I never had - again, a story for another time) passed away.  After her service, I was surprised when one of her family members handed me a box with a note she'd hand written:  "Give this to [Hardpan].  I want him to have it!"  Inside the box was her early 1970's vintage 1st Issue model Ruger Bearcat!  Literally in like-new condition, she'd only shot perhaps one box of ammunition through it.  Also in the box was the Hunter holster she'd bought at the same time.

Two years ago, my son gave me a Ruger Wrangler.  Very cool!

I have yet to shoot either of those two... my only two .22 revolvers.

I'm quite happy with 'em both.  And of course, I recognize that they're nowhere near the class of @Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 's sweet Smith & Wesson.  Hopefully there will be others in the future.  

So let 'er rip ~ what're y'all's favored .22 rimfire revolvers??  B)

Rohm

Lot - ROHM RG10 .22 SHORT REVOLVER

Ruger Bearcat  

1959 Ruger, Bearcat, 22 LR Cal., Revolver, SN - G633 (“Alpha Cat”) | Guns &  Military Artifacts Guns & Military Artifacts Handguns & Pistols Revolvers |  Online Auctions | Proxibid

Ruger Wrangler

2002.jpg

Out of a bunch of original Bearcats, three or four Frontier Scouts, and three or four Ruger Single Six's, I'll go with this Colt Diamondback .22 I bought brand new in 1980 - I'm sure I still have the box around somewhere. :)

ColtDiamondback22.jpg

When I was a senior in high school my dad bought a S&W K22 with an 8 3/8” barrel. I loved that revolver. I could shoot pennies that I taped to a board at 25-30 yards single action. I took squirrels with it, headshots. Loved that gun. Long story short I ran away from home after I graduated at 17. 
I got to see it once more when I was in the Navy and my dad died. 
After I got out of the Navy one day my mom called and asked if I wanted any of my dad’s guns. I told her I wanted that .22. She said “It’s yours!”. About 2 weeks later a package arrived in the mail (eek!). In it was the High Standard Sentinel Mk IV my dad owned. I called my mom and after telling her mailing guns is a serious federal offense I asked her why she sent me that gun. 
She saw “.22” on the barrel and figured that was it. I was bummed. I was even more bummed when she said she gave the one I wanted to one of my dad’s scumbag buddies. 
Anyway, I have wanted a K22 for years but never found them when I had the money and when I did I didn’t have the money. 

One day in Cabela’s I came across a lightly used S&W 17-3 and I took it home. I cleaned it up and put some Altamont “Ropers” on it and it’s perfect. I love this .22. She’s a keeper. 
4BE39BF2-3C38-463F-88D6-0B965EA381D7.thumb.jpeg.113206372216059d17dd7b91a254ef22.jpeg

Here’s the only other .22 revolver I have. A S&W model 63. I am still deciding whether or not I like it. It needs some new grips. The rounded butt grips bug me. It needs some squared off grips in wood. 
27B5460E-5D86-4BDB-B8BC-4693B58B92F5.thumb.jpeg.330deee7a7725ddfd590719d656b7783.jpeg

Had several Bearcats back when you could still buy one under $30.00

Had two Colt Scouts, one in .22 LR and one in .22 WRM.  Still like them but they done got pricey.

The magnum was my son's gun and I got him a Winchester  9422M at the same time.  One of his dope smoking "friends" stole them both....but I couldn't prove it or I'd have a felony record now.

I sure did love that little Colt.

Strangely enough , down thru the years I haven't had very many .22 revolvers. But it takes no thought process at all to declare the favorite.

Smith & Wesson model 18. Am on my second one now , let my oldest daughter "borrow" the first one , never saw it again.

S&W model 48 002.JPG

Here is mine, Ruger Single Six 22 LR, originally bought by my dad in the early 60's and was recently refinished due to the lack bluing as the result of many years of use and being carried within a holster.    The grips are from an AZ elk antler.

001 (Single Six .22  #147137).JPG

Got a couple of the little Heritage 22s here. These little beasts are far more accurate than their price suggests

heritage.jpg

6 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

Here is mine, Ruger Single Six 22 LR, originally bought by my dad in the early 60's and was recently refinished due to the lack bluing as the result of many years of use and being carried within a holster.    The grips are from an AZ elk antler.

001 (Single Six .22  #147137).JPG

Wow! It looks very nice! 

Oh goody... show and tell time.
I have a pair of these Single Six Bisley that I have been allowed to use for meets during the ammo crunch.
I have a 3rd one of the same, but is blued, that I bought in 1998.
I like stainless better.

2019.07.03-SS-FullLeft.Stack.39.levels.burn.gauss20.10.sfw.jpg

I love my 2 wranglers but a stainless single six...that is a beautiful gun!  Someday...

The best 22 out there though is the H&R 999 top break 9 shot. So fun to shoot. If u can find a 4" barrel jump on it!  Someday I will get another and cut it down to 4" if needs be.

7 hours ago, Shotgun-Gibbs said:

Probably my Uberti 1849 that I sent to Kirst and had it converted to .22 Long Rifle. They fitted a cylinder, and sleeved the barrel. Just a cool, handy revolver!

1849 .22.jpg

That is one cool looking revolver!!

I have a couple favorites, one is a S&W K-22 made in 1948, that gun has out shot target .22 semi autos in a .22 practical pistol course. The others are my 3 .22 three screw single sixes, The oldest made in 1958, they are all very accurate and have the smoothest actions compared to whats being offered now

My old standby is a weather worn Single Six I've had since 1966.  Had 10's of thousands (more like 100,000) and its just as tight as new.  The years of carrying it in the truck, on a tractor, and a trapline were hard on the finish though. Ive added several Single Sixes through the years but this one is my favorite.

Archived