SASS Wire Forum

On the subject of .22 pistols ~ favorite...?

8 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

A couple Ruger Mk 1 T-678's with Ruger muzzle brakes. The top one dates to 1963 and the bottom to 1980. The earlier ones had magazines with the button on the right, which were awkward to load for most people, so the pistols were later designed to accept mags with the button on the left, and the mags were slotted on both sides so the button could be quickly swapped to fit either version. The grip screws were also relocated during this modification. Somewhere in those years, the sights also changed slightly.

I tried Bullseye in '75 when I was stationed on Whidbey Island, WA for awhile with the Navy, and this was the best I could afford. Later on, after I came home, I found another one and figured, "Why have just one when I can have two for only twice the price?". :lol: The garage-based FFL I bought the first one from is still in business at the same location on the island today, forty seven years later.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

I wonder what a Ruger collector would pay for those two.

Brother Beymer, rest his soul, worked in a local gunshop.
He bought a Hi-Standard Supermatic Citation and he could outshoot me seven ways from Sunday with that fine pistola!
Didn't matter what I shot, I could never shoot as well with ANYTHING as he could with that Supermatic Citation!

55 minutes ago, DocWard said:

"Will magazines for the Mk II fit the Mk IV?"

55 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I'm afraid not.

Well, now, that is disappointing.  I have several extra mags for my Mk II.  

I guess that takes magazine compatibility out of the equation when deciding between the regular or 22/45 version.

Angus

16 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I wonder what a Ruger collector would pay for those two.

Not as much as you might think - this one, the older version, sold a couple weeks ago for $500 + shipping. The muzzle brakes are a little rare, and will sell for $150 by themselves, bringing the price of the pistol alone down to around $350.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/933740960

Any input on the S&W Liberty?  [Edit: SW22 Victory]

Like the way it feels, like its modularity. Haven't shot one or know anyone who has.  Doesn't seem to have caught on. 

4 hours ago, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

Any input on the S&W Liberty?
Like the way it feels, like its modularity. Haven't shot one or know anyone who has.  Doesn't seem to have caught on. 

If you mean the SW22 Victory from S&W, it is a fantastic handgun.

Shoot the crap out of mine at monthly Steel Challenge matches.

Very accurate with CCI Standard, and almost as good with Mini-Mags.

They are very popular in this part of the world.

The frame is the serial numbered part, so unlike a Ruger, you can change barrels without going through an FFL transfer.

Super easy to take apart and clean. I hated my Ruger Mark III!

Plenty of aftermarket "go fast" goodies available as well.

A S&W 22A, that will eat anything I can fit in the magazine

A Ruger 22/45 with the blue anodized top half [stolen by my Missus when she saw it]

A Ruger SR22 [raspberry] that I bought for the Missus

And a Davis 22 that used to belong to my Mom

On 6/9/2022 at 11:57 AM, Hedley Lamarr, SASS #14478 Life said:

I hated my Ruger Mark III!

Thank ye, kindly.

I have a Ruger Mark I (RSP) that my Father gave me.  It's waaay in the back of the safe.  If a gun could be thought of hating its owner, that Ruger would be it. Every time I'd tear it down for a bath, I'd end up bleeding.  Worst was when I pushed the takedown lever, thoughtfully manufactured with a very sharp spear point, through the web of my hand.  I've also torn up fingernails, and maimed other parts of my hands. I talked to a Ruger rep, and he said; "Sent it back.  It shouldn't be that bad." But... I fear to touch that evil thing again.  ;)

I'll never sell it, it was my first handgun and a gift from my Father.  But... damn!

I'll give the S&W Victory (correct name) another look.  Thanks again, Hedy.  ;).  

BTW: I've sold a bunch of those Ruger Mark IVs. That takedown system is sooooo nice. 

My favorite .22 pistol is my Ruger Mark 1 Target with the bull barrel.

I bought it for the sum of $67.50

It is super accurate and I have outshot others with .22 rifles! This one  will never leave my hands.

th.jpeg.jpg

2 hours ago, T.K. said:

My favorite .22 pistol is my Ruger Mark 1 Target with the bull barrel.

I bought it for the sum of $67.50

It is super accurate and I have outshot others with .22 rifles! This one  will never leave my hands.

th.jpeg.jpg

Just over 20 years ago, a buddy of mine evicted a "bunch of hippies" from a trailer he was renting out. When we went in to clean it up, it was in pretty good condition, but this Mark 1 Target was laying conspicuously on the kitchen table. All the blueing had been stripped off, and Les said, "I'm not touching that thing, they probably killed somebody with it". I took it and called the Sheriff's department asking them to "run the serial number". They said they didn't do that for the public, so I explained the situation and they checked it out. It didn't come up stolen, and Les still didn't want it, but I made him take fifty bucks anyway and still have it. :)

Mk1BullBarrel.jpg

i wont go into all i have , there are a lot , but i just ordered up a sig P322 , ive had good reports on it and im interested in seeing how it compares to some of my olympic quality pistols and older name target versions , 

Ruger Mark 1 with the long bull barrel, bought when I turned 21.
One of the very first things I did was pull the sharp holster ripping hooked front sight and replace it with a ramp front from a Single-Six.

My best friend could shoot it better than I, and I was pretty darn good ... but if he had his Hi-Standard Supermatic Citation Trophy in hand, he could make me feel like I should trade a pistol for a handful of rocks!

22 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Just over 20 years ago, a buddy of mine evicted a "bunch of hippies" from a trailer he was renting out. When we went in to clean it up, it was in pretty good condition, but this Mark 1 Target was laying conspicuously on the kitchen table. All the blueing had been stripped off, and Les said, "I'm not touching that thing, they probably killed somebody with it". I took it and called the Sheriff's department asking them to "run the serial number". They said they didn't do that for the public, so I explained the situation and they checked it out. It didn't come up stolen, and Les still didn't want it, but I made him take fifty bucks anyway and still have it. :)

Mk1BullBarrel.jpg

Mine looks just like that one!

Archived