SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Shootists of the Year Nominations - now open

Dutch Coroner

Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Shootists of the Year Nominations are now open!

The idea for the Magnificent Seven came from Texas Ghost, who wanted an organization that recognized Classic Cowboys (and later Cowgirls) who epitomized the costuming, shooting style, and giving back to CAS that we like to think characterizes the Classic Cowboy and Cowgirl categories. As he described it, like John Wayne said about gunfighters in "The Shootist", a Classic Cowboy or Cowgirl must "be willin." It is not an easy category and rarely the fastest, but it attracts those who embrace the costuming and challenge that the category represents. Since 2010 we have been recognizing Classic Cowboys and Cowgirls who met these standards.

Current Members of the Magnificent 7:

Serenity, Hot Tamale, Augustus Goodnight, Dutch Coroner, GW Ryder, Major Art Tillery and Pony Soldier

Prior Winners

T-Bone Dooley

Lefty Henderson

Shotglass

RJ Law

Bella Spencer

Big 6 Henderson

Hot Tamale

GW Ryder

Squawty Bawdy

Doc Baker

Serenity

Tonic Kid

Marie Laveau

Chilipepper Kid

Black Hills Barb

Major Art Tillery

Cayenne Kay

Stirrup Trouble

Mattie Mahala West

Asa Smith

Boss Shamrock

Dutch Coroner

Lucinda Tincup

Prior winners and members of the Magnificent 7 are not eligible for the award.

Nominations are open now until July 4th.

Please tell us who you believe is ‘willin” and why.

Thank you,

The Magnificent 7

Two points to add: The Magnificent 7 makes the selection for CCB and CCG Shootist of the year after considering all nominations. We will present the awards at Land Run, The National Championship of Cowboy Action Shooting, in Oklahoma City in October. The dinner for the awards will be held off site from the range at a location to be announced. 

I would agree with Al. You Bet goes  to matches all over, will be a posse marshall and always represents the classics well. Plus the reigning world champ. My vote is for You Bet.

Jax T

I nominate Whiskey Hayes. He works endlessly as match director for the TN State Championship and The Wartrace Regulators monthly matches. He is always in full classic cowboy regalia and attends matches all around the southeastern US. With all he does to lead and inspire the Wartrace Regulators, he is a role model for all of us. Ask anyone who has met him or shot one of his matches, you won't find a single SASS shooter who could speak ill of Whiskey Hayes, but hundreds who would testify to what he does for SASS, The Wartrace Regulators, and all Classic Cowboys. 

I would like to nominate Cleve, one of many finest Classic Cowboys you’ll ever meet!

I agree with Slim and would like to nominate Whiskey Hayes from the WarTrace Regulator's as CCB of the year. I just started in the Cowboy game about 6 months back and Whiskey hayes has made me feel very welcome Everytime I shoot our monthly matches and has gone above and beyond for the cowboy community.

2 hours ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

I nominate Whiskey Hayes. He works endlessly as match director for the TN State Championship and The Wartrace Regulators monthly matches. He is always in full classic cowboy regalia and attends matches all around the southeastern US. With all he does to lead and inspire the Wartrace Regulators, he is a role model for all of us. Ask anyone who has met him or shot one of his matches, you won't find a single SASS shooter who could speak ill of Whiskey Hayes, but hundreds who would testify to what he does for SASS, The Wartrace Regulators, and all Classic Cowboys. 

I would definitely like to second the nomination  for Whiskey Hayes. Not only has he been the Match Director for The Tennessee State Championship and the President of the Wartrace Regulators for many years, He writes the stages, sets the targets and he is also an RO Instructor. As Slim said he is always in full Classic Cowboy attire even during summer matches. He has also helped lots of folks get into SASS, loaning guns and gear to get them started. He is definitely riding for the brand!

Randy

I would like to nominate myself. At the local clubs where I shoot, I always win CC and even have a club championship CC trophy (of course I am the only Classic Cowboy competing at these clubs. However, after many years of local CC domination, that is still an enviable record.)  I will gladly provide photos, bribes and anything else needed to add this title to my resume. It sure would give me bragging rights around here.

Respectfully submitted,

Reverend P. Babcock Chase 

I would respectfully submit Dantankerous for the award. He epitomizes what a classic should be from how he carries himself and lives his life, to always doing everything with honor. He always dresses like he has stepped off of a tin type photo from the 1800s, and he never hesitates to help others with the category, and no matter what happens, never complains and always has a grin. One of the finest Classics (and men) that you could ever be associated with

I would like to nominate You Bet. You Bet well-represents heart and soul of a Classic Cowboy. Not only is he an incredible shooter, taking home a First Place finish at EOT 2022 among many others at matches he supports, he continuously provides encouragement  to others. He’s a fantastic role model! 

I would like to join Anvil Al, Jax T and Ruby Red Rider in nominating You Bet. Not only is You Bet an awesome shooter (our current Classic Cowboy world champion and Texas state champion who places very respectably in the overall scores); but, you’ll see him working hard on posse chores and/or running side matches along with other members of his family, known hereabouts as the Reckon Crew. In my personal experience, he’s very generous with his experience and advice when asked. In my humble opinion, he’s a great example of being willin’.

1 hour ago, Ruby Red Rider said:

B1CB7BC0-22D2-4C6E-845D-C89081ADA6EA.thumb.jpeg.627fd9c22d47d2ac79f0849274de4576.jpegI would like to nominate You Bet. You Bet well-represents heart and soul of a Classic Cowboy. Not only is he an incredible shooter, taking home a First Place finish at EOT 2022 among many others at matches he supports, he continuously provides encouragement  to others. He’s a fantastic role model! 

Not a CC competitor but certainly see these two has great Nominations.

6 hours ago, Jax T said:

I would agree with Al. You Bet goes  to matches all over, will be a posse marshall and always represents the classics well. Plus the reigning world champ. My vote is for You Bet.

Jax T

1 hour ago, Will Kane said:

I would like to join Anvil Al, Jax T and Ruby Red Rider in nominating You Bet. Not only is You Bet an awesome shooter (our current Classic Cowboy world champion and Texas state champion who places very respectably in the overall scores); but, you’ll see him working hard on posse chores and/or running side matches along with other members of his family, known hereabouts as the Reckon Crew. In my personal experience, he’s very generous with his experience and advice when asked. In my humble opinion, he’s a great example of being willin’.

What they said.

Great shooter.

VERY hard worker on the posse and willing to help out anyway he can

at any match he is at. 

More than willing to help any shooter in ANY way he can.  

I second the nomination of Whiskey Hayes , I have shot with the Wartrace Regulators since 2017 , and seen the work Whiskey puts into the club , and the guidance and mentoring he gives to shooters , coupled with some mighty fine stage writing too .........

Ruby Red Rider is my pick for Classic Cowgirl. 

For Classic Cowboy, Letort Lawman, mainly known here in the northeast, hard worker, true to the category, match director for 20 years at Ickesburg. 

15 hours ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

I second that motion!

I would like to nominate Jax T for Classic Cowboy Shootist. I have shot with Jax from Nevada to Texas and in my opinion a finer representation of the Classic Cowboy cannot be found. He dresses the part more than the bare minimum, has been shooting CC for a number of years and is always willing to lend a hand, run a timer, or any other posse duties. He is also a stand-up cowboy away from the range. A business owner and an employer he knows how to lead by example, and I think he would represent SASS and Classic Cowboys well.

Ruby Red Rider would also be my choice for Classic Cowgirl. Having shot with her numerous times, including this past weekend, she too could be the poster person for Classic Cowgirl. Her manner of dress is spot on, her mannerisms are very authentic, and she is just a terrific person whether it is working on the range or all dressed up selling raffle tickets she is always there to do more than is required or even asked. 

Looking over the past Shootist List and knowing most of them, these two would fit in quite well as ambassadors for the Magnificent Seven and SASS as a whole

4 hours ago, Hawkshaw Fred SASS #36811 said:

I would like to nominate Jax T for Classic Cowboy Shootist. I have shot with Jax from Nevada to Texas and in my opinion a finer representation of the Classic Cowboy cannot be found. He dresses the part more than the bare minimum, has been shooting CC for a number of years and is always willing to lend a hand, run a timer, or any other posse duties. He is also a stand-up cowboy away from the range. A business owner and an employer he knows how to lead by example, and I think he would represent SASS and Classic Cowboys well.

Ruby Red Rider would also be my choice for Classic Cowgirl. Having shot with her numerous times, including this past weekend, she too could be the poster person for Classic Cowgirl. Her manner of dress is spot on, her mannerisms are very authentic, and she is just a terrific person whether it is working on the range or all dressed up selling raffle tickets she is always there to do more than is required or even asked. 

Looking over the past Shootist List and knowing most of them, these two would fit in quite well as ambassadors for the Magnificent Seven and SASS as a whole

+1

19 hours ago, StirrupTrouble said:

I would respectfully submit Dantankerous for the award. He epitomizes what a classic should be from how he carries himself and lives his life, to always doing everything with honor. He always dresses like he has stepped off of a tin type photo from the 1800s, and he never hesitates to help others with the category, and no matter what happens, never complains and always has a grin. One of the finest Classics (and men) that you could ever be associated with

I will second the nomination for Dantankerous for CC of the year,a gentleman in every regard, always dressed to the nine’s as a CC even in the heat of summer. You never see him just standing around at matches doing nothing, always spotting or picking brass and TOing. Dan is always cheerful, never once in all the times we have shot together have I heard him piss and moan about anything that went on during a match. In my eyes he is the perfect choice for CC of the year.

I would second the nomination of Whiskey Hayes, but after looking at previous posts, I'm going to have to 5th or 6th it.  Whiskey Hayes is a fine classic cowboy that does a lot of work for the Wartrace Regulators and SASS.  He would be a very worthy recipient of this honor.

Dear SCJ and ST,

Thank you for the accolades and nomination but...

I humbly but assertively submit that this award should go to a Classic who is a leader in their club or clubs; someone who helps put on the match, designs/builds property and writes those stages, helps run their monthlies and annuals, who steps up to TO and direct matches, volunteers time and sweat for their club's efforts, and who is an inspiration to those around him/her. This award doesn't always go to the fastest shootin' Classic but sometimes that has got to be a factor as the individual work one puts in to achieve for example, a State, Regional or especially an EoT or WR victory is second to none in many, many ways and the rest of us certainly would love to shake that cowboy's hand. Classics do take on the costuming, many of us with enthusiasm and an attempt at Old West realism, and that should be noted for what that is - a lot of research, attention to detail, and time and money spent in pursuit of that endeavor - quite important to many of us. I have met some of the best people in CAS and being a Classic myself am a tad biased to the category and the folks in it, just because we are a slightly different breed (in the best way :D) and I'd prefer not to single out simply one individual with a nomination pronouncement as I believe there are many who deserve this award, some whom I know and some whom I hope to meet down the trail. Dressing the part and playing with the big guns is what we do. What is most commendable is the extra effort given by those who work tirelessly for their clubs and in the big matches for ALL our our enjoyment. As I do not belong to a club, have very limited time to devote to CAS (until I am voluntarily jobless ;)), do not run matches on any level, do not write stages, do not contribute to the hundreds of hours behind the scenes, etc, I gotta ask that this award be carefully and thoughtfully given to a cowboy who measures up to what I have described above, and that just ain't me. At least for the time being. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love CAS and plan on being an active member for the remainder of my days. I love the Classic Cowboy costuming and just won't shoot this game with anything other than big bore guns. I'll be around and hopefully will be able to take a much more active role in CAS  in the future but until then, there are much more deserving fellers for this Classically prestigious award.

I said that I'd prefer to not single out one individual for the Classic Cowboy award, but I will, just because he certainly deserves it.  Many others do but I know this cowboy and he has been and continues to be a worker, a leader, an inspiration, a great shooter and competitor, always dressed classically Classic, a gentleman and a darn good natured person who's always willing to help, his humor is contagious and his actions pure gold. High Plains Hud is my choice for CC '22.

I as well would like to nominate Whiskey Hayes from the Wartrace Regulators.  Whiskey epitomizes the definition of a Classic Cowboy.  Whiskey is the driver of the Wartrace Regulators, which has made the club what it is today.  Every one that has ever attended our Tennessee state match, or one of our monthly matches can certainly see the major influence and tireless work that Whiskey has contributed to the success of Wartrace.  A very fine gentleman and Classic Cowboy,  Whiskey was a major influencer to me in choosing to shoot Classic cowboy myself.    

46 minutes ago, Shagbark Steve said:

I as well would like to nominate Whiskey Hayes from the Wartrace Regulators.  Whiskey epitomizes the definition of a Classic Cowboy.  Whiskey is the driver of the Wartrace Regulators, which has made the club what it is today.  Every one that has ever attended our Tennessee state match, or one of our monthly matches can certainly see the major influence and tireless work that Whiskey has contributed to the success of Wartrace.  A very fine gentleman and Classic Cowboy,  Whiskey was a major influencer to me in choosing to shoot Classic cowboy myself.    

Agree with everything Shaggy said.

While their are some great Cowboy's already nominated I would like to add one more to the nominations. Sixgun Seamus.  He takes the costume portion to the next level. A great guy to posse with jumping in to help where ever he is needed. Gives advice to help even if you are competing against him. I know he has helped me from time to time. He is also Pres/Match Director for Brown Township Regulators. And does his best to attend as many State and Regional matches as he can. Couldn't ask for a better Classic Cowboy. 

I nominate Whiskey Hayes for all of the reasons given by others above.  He is a strong, decisive, yet fair, leader , who is a huge advocate for the sport we love.  

Whiskey Hayes.

I have been in lots of different clubs in a variety of shooting and non-shooting activities. I have never seen anyone who puts the effort and energy into their endeavors like Whiskey Hayes. He is my club pres., our hardest worker and my friend. His calm leadership keeps us focused on our goals.

Imis  ( if you want to see the results of his work view Pilgrim Joe's near hour long video of the Tennessee State match, 2022)

I second the nomination for:

High Plains Hud

A true cowboy from the day I met him, many years ago.

Always dresses the part of a Classic, shots the big guns with style and makes it look easy!

He was/is a tireless worker at our club. Ran/wrote WB matches, including the annual event for years.

My sons and I have many the fond memory working, building and shooting with him.

Still helping make our club better and stronger.

Proud to call him friend.

(He was fast even back in the day when shooting full loads with unmodified guns were the rule. I'm sure this will start the conversations!)

Dantankerous is another great choice, always behaves like a true classic, (at least when I'm watching);)

My humble opinion

Asa Smith

Archived