SASS Wire Forum

Seating .45-70 Postell Bullets?

Cholla

Who offers bullet seating dies to match the Lyman Postell 457132? I have seated a few bullets and it looks like I am getting slight deforming of the nose. It seems pointless to takes all the precautions to make sure all my bullets are perfect and weight the same only to have the bullet damaged while seating.

I made a seating die that has a flat point and touches only the tip of the bullet. It will seat the bullet with no visible marks.

Lucky 

Thanks. I have that now and it appear to be changing the profile, making it more squat. I have made my own custom seating die for another caliber using a generic die and JB Weld but I prefer something professional this time. I am using a bullet sized to .459 with a .458 neck expander as that is what I read in several places to use.

If you are using BP try compressing it so you are NOT using the bullet to compress the powder or start using a harder alloy for your bullets. All of my 45/70-45/90 etc are compressed to the proper depth then the bullet is pushed in by my thumb and then crimped.

kR

Pretty much what Kid Rich said.  I throw a black powder charge through a drop tube, put a .030 card on top, run it through a compression die and thumb seat the bullet.  Since the rounds are shot from a single shot, I don’t crimp but crimp, or no crimp, is a religious discussion.  It works for me.

6 hours ago, Cholla said:

Thanks. I have that now and it appear to be changing the profile, making it more squat. I have made my own custom seating die for another caliber using a generic die and JB Weld but I prefer something professional this time. I am using a bullet sized to .459 with a .458 neck expander as that is what I read in several places to use.

Have you annealed the case mouth?

Until you do, bet that case mouth is smaller than .458.

7 hours ago, Cholla said:

Who offers bullet seating dies to match the Lyman Postell 457132? I have seated a few bullets and it looks like I am getting slight deforming of the nose. It seems pointless to takes all the precautions to make sure all my bullets are perfect and weight the same only to have the bullet damaged while seating.

Do not use the bullet to compress powder

9 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Have you annealed the case mouth?

Until you do, bet that case mouth is smaller than .458.

I have not.

7 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

If you are using BP try compressing it so you are NOT using the bullet to compress the powder or start using a harder alloy for your bullets. All of my 45/70-45/90 etc are compressed to the proper depth then the bullet is pushed in by my thumb and then crimped.

kR

This

I’ll second or third the compression die for powder followed by hand seating the bullet. I only anneal after about 5-6 reloads; seems more critical when the die is actually working the brass. I’m shooting a Hepburn and can index my case (I use the “*” of the Starline brass head stamp in the 12 o’clock position so this may go out the window if you’re shooting a lever gun. Thumb pressure contact with the rifling provides the final “seat” if that makes sense. 

Archived