SASS Wire Forum

My wife's favorite song

We have still a large collection of vinyl's and throughout the day in the house or garage, or even earphones, we both have music and songs playing. I asked the wife last night what her favorite song was that she listens or plays the most. 

This is her favorite and I agree it is a favorite of mine also., though I play the 'Happy Wanderer" on my earphones when I'm working the most.

Forgive my being forward, my friend, but you and your wife do have excellent taste in music!

They had fantastic harmonies!

The Ladie's voice sounded so familiar. Who is she?

IIRC they did Georgie Girl as well, remember liking that as youngun as well.

45 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

IIRC they did Georgie Girl as well, remember liking that as youngun as well.

And A world of our Own 

One of the few songs I have on my phone if 

I need a mood boost.
That and Brown Eyed Girl.

She and Cass Eliot of The Mamas and Papas were very VERY similar in voice and tone. 

There are very few female voices that have that pure, clean quality with no affectation. Just hitting the note and letting it ring!!

3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

She and Cass Eliot of The Mamas and Papas were very VERY similar in voice and tone. 

There are very few female voices that have that pure, clean quality with no affectation. Just hitting the note and letting it ring!!

Thanks, Moma Cass is who I was thinking until I looked up the Seekers and didn't recognize any of the names. Maybe a little before my time?

Those two, and Linda Ronstadt when she was with the Stone Ponies, (think Different Drum) had that quality. Just clear sweet vocals on key and pitch perfect!!

19 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Thanks, Moma Cass is who I was thinking until I looked up the Seekers and didn't recognize any of the names. Maybe a little before my time?

I think they were"64-'68 or so.

Right about the beginning of my music listening!

Interesting to me that though there are wonderful singers in that period, they were almost exceptions rather than the rule.  Zoom back in time musically to the '40's and '50's a plenty of wonderful singers and bands / orchestras.  Nearly anything on the radio or record very high quality.  I play more old (including '60's and '70's) rarely anything recent. 

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I always felt Mary Travers of the Peter, Paul, and Mary trio had an excellent range in her voice also. Also one I listen to.

7 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

As a teenage boy, I was in love with Judith Durham.

Ditto! ❤️
I think I may still be a bit. 

10 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

I think they were"64-'68 or so.

Another You came out in 64.

what a walk down memory lane , i have had , in the past , before ex-wives , a couple collections of music and i used to do this ....listen to them and spend time remembering fondly other days/moments , i dont get that opportunity these days but every once n a while someone here gives me a little taste , thanks 

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

what a walk down memory lane , i have had , in the past , before ex-wives , a couple collections of music and i used to do this ....listen to them and spend time remembering fondly other days/moments , i dont get that opportunity these days but every once n a while someone here gives me a little taste , thanks 

Talk about memories. There was a girl I was serious about and dated during my High School years and when this song came out by Paul and Paula, we use to sing along as it came over the radio just inserting our names into the song as we sang along.  Long time ago, great memories that these songs bring up, many bringing up a time and a place.

18 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Those two, and Linda Ronstadt when she was with the Stone Ponies, (think Different Drum) had that quality. Just clear sweet vocals on key and pitch perfect!!

Snip-it_1650141037805.jpg.dd636b1d1d97d5fe157b5ffa0450a16c.jpg

Evergreen Vol. 2 was the first album my sister owned when we were growing up.

Snip-it_1654690576992.jpg.6a67ccc5dd09cbf24f8aff3e327a23d8.jpg

I borrowed it and played it more than she did.

Especially "Different Drum".

Thanks for mentioning her Blackwater.

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I was going to add Karen Carpenter but you beat me to it.  Beautiful voice, gone way too soon.

Karen Carpenter and Anne Murray were great voices.  I liked both a lot, but they weren’t that “stand up and let it out” kind of singers.

I’m also a huge fan of Ann Wilson, (Heart) Annie Lennox, (Eurythmics) and Chrissy Hinde, (The Pretenders)!  Again, a different style and feel, but absolutely unbelievable female voices!!

33 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Karen Carpenter and Anne Murray were great voices.  I liked both a lot, but they weren’t that “stand up and let it out” kind of singers.

I’m also a huge fan of Ann Wilson, (Heart) Annie Lennox, (Eurythmics) and Chrissy Hinde, (The Pretenders)!  Again, a different style and feel, but absolutely unbelievable female voices!!

Ann Wilson. Much underrated. :wub:

17 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Ann Wilson. Much underrated. :wub:

And that’s an understatement!

My all time favorite!

I would add Petula Clark to this list.

A lady singer that I wonder why she wasn't more popular is Mary Fahl.   I first heard hear when watching the Civil War movie, "Gods and Generals."   I was so impressed and captivated by the voice that sang in the Opening Titles of "Gods and Generals" that I searched to find out who was this singer.  I found the singer is Mary Fahl.   I found a few more of her songs on YouTube, but I've never heard much about her. :(

Mary Fahl singing "Going Home" in the Opening of "Gods and Generals."

Archived