SASS Wire Forum

Stupid extra parts

Creeker, SASS #43022

Went shooting yesterday to work off some rust and get a practice in before an annual next weekend.

All my guns worked but Desert Scorpion managed to break her 87 (so Ill be getting her 97 back out of the safe for this weekend).

And THEN...

Her 38spl open tops decided to go rogue; well one of them anyway.

Shot two stages perfectly - stage 3, hammer drops but no bangs - hammer was refusing to fall completely far enough forward for the firing pin to protrude thru to the cylinder.

We clear the guns and I begin looking at the pistol to figure it out - lo and behold there is some sort of STUPID "safety cam" set into the hammer that if the screw is loosened - the cam may be rotated forward and impact the rear of the frame to keep the hammer from fully falling. 

Of course the same thing happens if the screw just loosens by itself over time as well.

The ONLY thing I can think of is this a "safety" lawyer requirement for importing into the US (sort of like the two position cylinder pins of the SAA clones).

What an ignorant piece of engineering and design.  Ruined a perfectly good run for my daughter.

But a screwdriver and a couple minutes -  easily removed to avoid another mid stage issue.

Sadly, I don't believe the 87 will be as easy of a fix.

I have two sets of Uberti Open Tops, two have the hammer safety and two do not. Bought all for guns at the same time but did not notice the safety until a year later when one had moved forward not allowing the hammer to strike the primer. Cleaned them after the match and the two safety’s were no longer operative for some reason. Not a real good design. DC 

I have an open top, the safety cam is still solid.

I just pick a used cattleman, the safety cam was flopping loose and appears to have been for a long time.

I removed it entirely.

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What happened with the '87?

She has a Coyote Cap 87 with drop two and suddenly - the lifter is dropping too low; so when you push the two shells in - the upper shell is now lower than the chamber mouth and hangs up when you attempt to close the lever.

Not being an 87 guy (I kind of understand 97's but 87's are pretty foreign to me) - I don't even know where to start to diagnose or fix.

8 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

She has a Coyote Cap 87 with drop two and suddenly - the lifter is dropping too low; so when you push the two shells in - the upper shell is now lower than the chamber mouth and hangs up when you attempt to close the lever.

Not being an 87 guy (I kind of understand 97's but 87's are pretty foreign to me) - I don't even know where to start to diagnose or fix.

Check the 'tongue' of the carrier that goes into the hole of the magazine follower.

Clean the inside of the magazine tube.

Ck all screws for tightness. 

Archived