SASS Wire Forum

78 Years Ago June 6, 1944

Cypress Sun

Thanks to my Uncle George. He went ashore with his Big Red 1 brethren.:FlagAm:

1st_Infantry_Division_SSI_(1918-2015).svg

Uncle Doug, Juno June 6 Tanks;

His brothers, Uncle's Lester, Frieman and Robert Infantry; Juno June 6

All were wounded in action, then or later but all came home.

Omaha.  Bloody.... Omaha.

At Low-Low Water, every American should walk from the bones of a landing craft, across the 200 yards of wet sand, struggle though the 50 yards of scree, forge the salt marsh, and then slowly climb up the 90 ft cliff-face. Then imaging doing the same journey with every German in the World raining holy hell down upon you. 

Your journey ends with the Normandy American Cemetery, as it did for 9,387 Soldiers, Airmen and four American women.  A stark reminder that Freedom isn't Free, and Never Has Been.  

It is a debt that we can never repay, only acknowledge. 

I remember when the news used to be blanketed with anniversary coverage, the president would make some remarks , as well as the PM’s/ Presidents of France, England, Canada, etc

The liberation of Europe, you’d think that it would still be a big thing.

7 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I remember when the news used to be blanketed with anniversary coverage, the president would make some remarks , as well as the PM’s/ Presidents of France, England, Canada, etc

The liberation of Europe, you’d think that it would still be a big thing.

Can't see a single solitary mention at the BBC or a few major French news outlets. 

51 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Can't see a single solitary mention at the BBC or a few major French news outlets. 

I looked too. Nothing.

Fox News, they’re an in the toilet news agency themselves, had an article about how Biden made no mention of D day. Of course, of a ironies, Fox News themselves  failed to run a story about D day themselves.  This is what media and politics have come to…..

Biden’s Twitter page did present a two sentence remark about it by days end.

2 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I looked too. Nothing.

Fox News, they’re an in the toilet news agency themselves, had an article about how Biden made no mention of D day. Of course, of a ironies, Fox News themselves  failed to run a story about D day themselves.  This is what media and politics have come to…..

Biden’s Twitter page did present a two sentence remark about it by days end.

The last couple of months I've gotten off from reading Western history and have been reading my next interest new and old books I have on the landings in Europe (and the Pacific) I'm just aghast at the sacrifice those young men made in their tens of thousands and the horror they went through to save other countries and just a mere 78 years later these countries have forgotten their saviors......nary a mention......unbelievable. 

Archived