SASS Wire Forum

Pietta Navy

Dark Horse Charlie

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Potentially "old" manufacture and slight dimensional changes happen.  PLUS > The Pietta 1851 Navy 44 uses the same rebated cylinder as the 1860 .44.  The frame also requires a clearance rebate on the water table.  The locking bolt may also not quite reach.  Not a good idea. 

43 minutes ago, Dark Horse Charlie said:

It's good in 36, was trying to have 2 for the price if one! But not legal for Classic Cowboy.

Classic Cowboy CAN use cap & ball revolvers in .36 caliber and above. The .40 caliber and above applies to rifles and cartridge revolvers.

46 minutes ago, Dark Horse Charlie said:

It's good in 36, was trying to have 2 for the price if one! But not legal for Classic Cowboy.

Looking at VTI you would pay about $240 for a barrel and cylinder. An entire new gun runs around $300.

GOODY,

The 1851 .36 Cylinder is dimensionally different (NO rebate) from the .44 Cylinder (Larger forward cylinder, rebate at the rear) and the frame is rebated to clear the fatter cylinder.  44 cylinder usually won't fit the .36 frame.

PLUS ONE for watab kit.  Perfect reason to acquire a new pistola.

I have a Pietta 1851 Sheriff in .44 and my .36 cylinder and barrel fit the .44 frame.

What is interesting is how small and tight the .44 frame is. The clearance is so tight that no cappers will fit it and I have to cap by hand and its a pretty tight and nerve wracking push to get the caps to seat on the nipple. On the plus side I have never had a cap jam the action. I even shoot it two handed like a cartridge gun as fast as I can (OK not that fast but you get the gist) and still no jams.

From memory I got the .44 new around 2018?

However, that is a different question to yours.

12 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

GOODY,

The 1851 .36 Cylinder is dimensionally different (NO rebate) from the .44 Cylinder (Larger forward cylinder, rebate at the rear) and the frame is rebated to clear the fatter cylinder.  44 cylinder usually won't fit the .36 frame.

PLUS ONE for watab kit.  Perfect reason to acquire a new pistola.

Yessir, knew that. But as you had already made that point I saw no reason to chew the cud twice. Was merely pointing out another reason as to why I would consider this fruitless.

Everybody

Just for reference, the 1851, 1861, and 1860 are ALL built on the same basic frame.  There are, however, some subtle differences that make Transmorgafacation somewhat problematic.  In some instances, one may be able to substitute and even have it work in a manner of speaking.  I have gotten a Pietta 1851 .44 cylinder to just barely slide onto an 1851 .36 frame.  Just didn't work well.  And, in most cases there will be drag of the cylinder on the Water Table.  In fast instances as well, the .44 cylinder will not clear the water table of a .36 frame.

GOODY, 

Sorry, I read your comment as a suggestion to save by buying parts as opposed to acquiring a complete brandy knew .44 which wouldn't be much more expensive.

Major Crimes,

Your Sheriff has a factory flaw.  The recess in the Recoil Shield intended for loading is not correctly cut.  Down toward the forward edge, the recess needs "re-contoured" to allow cappers to fit.  ALL of the Marshall series by Pietta that I built for customers, had to have this area modified to permit loading by cappers.  Don't know if Pietta has fix'd this yet or no. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Everybody

Just for reference, the 1851, 1861, and 1860 are ALL built on the same basic frame.  There are, however, some subtle differences that make Transmorgafacation somewhat problematic.  In some instances, one may be able to substitute and even have it work in a manner of speaking.  I have gotten a Pietta 1851 .44 cylinder to just barely slide onto an 1851 .36 frame.  Just didn't work well.  And, in most cases there will be drag of the cylinder on the Water Table.  In fast instances as well, the .44 cylinder will not clear the water table of a .36 frame.

GOODY, 

Sorry, I read your comment as a suggestion to save by buying parts as opposed to acquiring a complete brandy knew .44 which wouldn't be much more expensive.

Major Crimes,

Your Sheriff has a factory flaw.  The recess in the Recoil Shield intended for loading is not correctly cut.  Down toward the forward edge, the recess needs "re-contoured" to allow cappers to fit.  ALL of the Marshall series by Pietta that I built for customers, had to have this area modified to permit loading by cappers.  Don't know if Pietta has fix'd this yet or no. 

Hey Coofinmaker, you always provide great insight and it is appreciated.  I remeber seeing a thread a while back about open-top and how they can be swapped out, so it got me curious of the BP versions. 

Thanks

Archived