SASS Wire Forum

CZ Hammer SXS

Rough 'N Ready Rob

While I shoot hammerless SKB’s myself one member I shoot with has been using that SG for about a year now. 
Beautiful to look at, he got it already slicked up (don’t know who) going strong with no problems. Everything I have read says it is a great gun. 
Only knock I have heard is brand new some are a bit stiff to open (common to plenty of guns though)

Enjoy!!!
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

I have one as my main match gun. I could not be happier!

I have one, and I dig it.

Here are the drawbacks though:

STIFF.   Especially brand new.   I mean have to break it open over your knee with force stiff. 

Hammers are stiff and too far apart for using a single thumb to sweep cock them (at least for me).  

The stock is a little soft - if I look at it wrong it gets a ding.  I should have gotten leather stock covers when it was new; now I'll have to get one just to cover up al the dings.  

I do like it otherwise though.   Put 52 blackpowder rounds through it at the match on Saturday; didn't touch it (as far as cleaning) during the match - the cases didn't start hanging up until near the end of the string on the final stage.   

Mine is VERY stiff, I sent it back to CZ and now it breaks a little easier.  The hammers are very stout to cock.  I am not a weakling, but I can't cock both at the same time without a struggle.  A very well made and attractive gun.  Last time around I used a '97.  Haven't decided to keep it or sell it. So far, unfired ex by CZ.

Nice shotgun. Have only seen one at a gunshop here. Felt and balanced nicely. I actually had it set aside to buy it the following week and then some BS happened and I couldn't.

Hopefully will find another one.

I had a 20-year-old Liberty II, which many say is the same gun.  It was very pretty.  I lightened up the springs so it worked okay.  I agree with Bart, the wood is a little soft.  The bottom of the buttstock had a bunch of little dings from hitting my butt-forward grips while reloading.  The main issue for me was that it didn't have as much drop to the stock as I need, so tended to shoot high.  My TTN points better for me, so that's what I've always used when I want hammers.  After I bought a spare TTN, I recently sold the Liberty II.

Love mine, got it from Long Hunters. They have got them figured out, it works amazingly well super smooth drops open immediately. Hammers are stiff but that's not something they work on because of reliability. I actually got the 30 inch barrels cut down to 22 inches. Lots of practice and the hammers are getting better. If you want it as fast as it can be send it to them. 

Just get some valve lapping compound, or even cheap gritty toothpaste, smear it on the lugs and work it open and shut for a while. It will smooth up.

Even after CZ very kindly did some work on mine, it is still the stiffest double to open I've ever owned.  I think you (or I, if I keep mine) would be well advised to send it to someone good and get it slicked up.  Personally I would have most done on opening, and the least possible spring reduction on the cocking.  I will not have a firearm that doesn't go off 100% of the time!

Archived