SASS Wire Forum

Ethics?

Buckshot Bear

Hmmm....accuracy is the first thing that I thought of. What if these drones shoot kids and teachers by mistake? I'd rather HUMAN armed guards myself.

Anything remote controlled can be jammed or hacked.

Do you really wanna give some teenage, black hat hacker wannabe a chance to live out a video game with the school drone or armed robot?

There's folks that blame school violence on video games already.  Let's not make it easy for them.

Whether the hand-wringing and bed-wetting anti-Consitutionalists like it or not, a trained human that is armed and willing to use it is still better than all of their high tech "alternatives" combined.

On the other hand, maybe they should just learn to leave the dam' door locked and keep it that way.

54 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Hmmm....accuracy is the first thing that I thought of. What if these drones shoot kids and teachers by mistake? I'd rather HUMAN armed guards myself.

I see that: but the same can be said of armed security. Unless they constantly train in stressful situations they are just as likely to hit students or staff with much more lethal consequences.

People are also prone to stress induced incapacitation and do nothing for fear of injuring students or fear of being shot themselves. 

No one truly knows how they will react when faced with having to use lethal force until it happens.

That said, I am still in favor of armed security and staff as their presence is a great deterant.

The only thing worse than doing nothing is doing ineffective feel good measures like more gun control.

I have worked at a hundred schools over the past two decades. I can't think of any that I couldn't find an open door to walk through. And when you have folks stepping out for a smoke break, they often leave doors a jar so they can get back in. How hard would it be to put a gun to someone's head taking a smoke break and demand they open the door? Sadly, they need to harden schools and change the attitude that it will never happen here.

1 hour ago, Cholla said:

How hard would it be to put a gun to someone's head taking a smoke break and demand they open the door? Sadly, they need to harden schools and change the attitude that it will never happen here.

Right on. 99.9% chance the bad guy won't come through your school door. 99.9% you'll never need to use your carry gun to defend yourself or others. Same tiny percentage I'll ever need to use the overnight kit at the bottom of my day pack.

The whole point of emergency precautions is to maintain them rigorously without regards to the odds. Because that's what emergencies are-- against the odds.

im not at all sure what "ethics" have to do with it - if its a workable solution im not going to argue - there is nothing ethical about this situation or those sick-os that do this crime , quickly eliminating the threat seems the most "ethical" thing to do , by whatever means at hand 

Archived