SASS Wire Forum

Insignia

Subdeacon Joe

For those that may be confused - there in the second row you have two of them they say CASCO.

Casco in Spanish means helmet. Why they have it there I don't know, but that's what it is.

17 minutes ago, Alpo said:

For those that may be confused - there in the second row you have two of them they say CASCO.

Casco in Spanish means helmet. Why they have it there I don't know, but that's what it is.

Possibly put together by a Spanish speaking collector.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'm not sure about the accuracy of this, but it's interesting.

FB_IMG_1654456186592.jpg

Not sure what the first one is. There was no US 6th Airborne Division or Corps as far as I know. Whatever it is it would never have been worn in combat .

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There was no US 6th Airborne Division or Corps as far as I know.

ACCORDING TO WIKI, the 6th Airborne was a "Phantom Division", that only existed from May to July of '44.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_deception_formations_of_World_War_II

The CASCO helmet probably refers to US Navy personnel assigned to Casco Bay during WWII: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casco_Bay#World_War_II

So much useless trivia stored my brain, if I could only remember my name or where my car keys are

I know for a fact, the 42nd Infantry (Rainbow) Division did NOT have any insignia on their helmets.  Officers did have their rank painted on the front of the helmet, however.  I know at least one captain, whose helmet has his "railroad tracks" on the front...my Dad! 

Archived