SASS Wire Forum

Loading info for 45-70 trapdoor (Black powder info only please)

I am curious to what others load. I just got a trapdoor and casted 405 gr bullets the smokeless rounds I initially shot were nice to shoot tolerable recoil. I loaded up about 25 rounds today with the 405 gr bullets and 60 gr of 2ff real bp. By the time I got to the 20th round I was thinking I was through. It thumped the heck out of me. Am interested to hear what others load for them. 

Hochbauer

That was the reason the cavalry was issued the .45-55-405 ammo for its Trapdoor carbines.  The space between the powder and the base of the bullet was taken up by card wads. (You never want airspace over the BP charge!)  As far as being beaten by the time you got to the 20th round, I'm not sure how the average trooper felt, although in the heat of battle, they might not have noticed until later.

full length rifle or carbine? The carbine should be loaded 55g with a filler.

personally, I’ve always just filled the cases on mine. I do prefer a 305 Bullet.   

You might try a rubber pad on buttplate. Then cover it with a leather cover. 

The comments at the time were that the .45-70 loads hurt at both ends. I have shot the BHA loads in my Trapdoor H&R reproduction carbine and they were quite pleasant. The bullet is 405 grains but the powder is roughly 25-grains of what looks to be 5744. (Do your own research on that.) I have not checked the muzzle velocity. Following in Hoss' footsteps, I just bought a 300-grain mold for my Trapdoor.

If a repro trapdoor I think mild smokeless loads ok.  I like 14.2 Unique. Mild load. Way cheaper than 5744!

if an original trapdoor BP or BP sub like APP or 777

Find the Lee 405 Hollow Base mold if you want to recreate army loads, or make a great load in general. I use the 405HB with 70 gr of FFg in my rifle length trapdoor. Works for Plainsman and long range alike. It helped me win the single shot military match at EOT this year shooting 100-300 yeards.

highly recommend the 45-70 book, it is a great resource if you are playing with Trapdoors. https://the4570book.com/

I have the H&R Trapdoor Officer's Model replica. My load is 65 grains of 2f behind the 405 grain Lee hollowbase bullet (I cast my own) lubed with 50/50 crisco and beeswax. Roughly 25 years ago I used that load to harvest my first deer.

Archived