SASS Wire Forum

Does anyone buy investment gold?

If so, what company do you use?

Years ago I did from Blanchard.  Back when it was 250 an ounce.  Then when I went to sell it I could ship it back to Blanchard and wait for a check or sell it to a coin dealer.  No one else would buy it except the pawnshops for 500 less than its value.  

I have used JM Bullion for physical hold in your hand bullion but be advised that bullion dealers are VERY much like used car dealers and there is a sizable markup on bullion, if your looking at paper gold stocks you will need to look around and see who has the smallest fees for the transactions ( watch out for heavy redemption fees with gold stocks )

I have a few gold pans and a membership to the GPAA. That's my investment.

The problem with actual gold is you have to buy at a premium and dealers are only paying face value.  Silver is the same way.  Ebay is full of individuals trying to get a decent price for their gold and silver.  I have seen where a lot of the preppers recommend buying bulk junk silver coins.   I think if things get that bad, lead might be the best investment.

Long before I was married, I had an English girlfriend.  She had a small horde of silver and gold.  Silver was very high at the time, courtesy of a pair of wealthy brothers.  I had sold some silver coins and profited, suggested that it was an opportunity for her.  Her response, "When I need to sell, if it is gone, I'll only have the paper money, and who knows what that will be worth!"

I didn’t make myself clear. Not planning to buy and hoard gold coins. That would be foolish.

4 hours ago, Cholla said:

I have a few gold pans and a membership to the GPAA. That's my investment.

Living in AZ, you might find a good Minelab or Gold Bug  detector to be a good investment.  The Minelab are pricey, but state of the art.  There are a lot of used model 3500 machines out there for sale fairly cheaply.  They're older but still very good machines. 

Over about 20 years, I've detected a few POUNDS of gold in the Wickenburg-Morristown vicinity.   If you're a GPAA member they hold some pretty good claims east of Morristown. 

Most of the AZ gold is Electrum with about 12% silver alloy.  But it still brings over $1200/Troy oz. in today's market.

---And since you also like collecting rattlesnakes, Take a look in the corrugated culverts in desert washes north of the Ben Avery Range some time.  They usually have both gold and snakes, including some big ones of both at times.  

I like pre-1900 gold coins. Double eagles, eagles, $5 gold, $2.5 pieces. Not for investing purposes, just for the Old West historical factor.

Now,  do I own any such coins? Nope, but do like them. :D

I've been buying silver ingots through JM Bullion (https://www.jmbullion.com/silver/silver-bars/1-oz-silver-bars/)

as they're inexpensive, small enough denomination that I can trade them a lot easier than gold if necessary,

and they make good gifts for folks too. 

Gold seems to be too high priced to make it reasonable trade fodder if TEOTWAWKI happens.  Local hardware and farm

supply stores can more readily handle silver ingots than gold coins or ingots.  They seem to also be a reasonable

investment for return on value if you give it years, not days . . . .

Just my $0.02 worth

SC

15 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Are you looking for metal, or paper stock certificates?  

Paper.

Archived