SASS Wire Forum

Amateur Ground Hog Removal

So I’ve beaten off any arguments from the better half. We’ve got a groundhog burrowed under the shed right next to the house.

We’re in town so I picked up a live trap from Harbor Freight and a box of .22 shorts to use in a Heritage Barkeep.

1) What do I bait it with?

2) What’s the best disposal method without getting caught?

Try peanut butter but put it on something tied or zip tied to the mesh over the trigger.  If that doesn't work, try covering the trap except for the entrances with an old, dark colored towel or similar, Don't know exactly what you have, but those are worth a try.  You can take it some place far away and release it, or, I don't think they are protected anywhere, kill it cleanly and put it bagged in the trash.  We have several kinds but are in a rural area so shooting is the general method except for Pocket Gophers which you have to poison or trap with special traps inserted into their burrows. Since we have Rattlesnakes around here which like burrows, the latter is not my method of choice!

Long Stick with a short fork, push it into the burrow and twist it in his fur drag him out, likely to be agitated. Pop him quick.

How do you tell the difference between an amateur groundhog and a professional?

I give mine a "sky burial".  That is, let the buzzards clean up the carcass.  One time I got two. Put them in the lower field where I could watch the food fight but an eagle swooped in and carried them off.  But I live on a farm and in a secluded area. 

595743776_Marlin1894groundhowg2019.jpg.4963769c5e82fd5768ada513108238e9.jpg

2 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I give mine a "sky burial".  That is, let the buzzards clean up the carcass.  One time I got two. Put them in the lower field where I could watch the food fight but an eagle swooped in and carried them off.  But I live on a farm and in a secluded area. 

595743776_Marlin1894groundhowg2019.jpg.4963769c5e82fd5768ada513108238e9.jpg

Would love to do that just for the bird photo ops, but every so often one of the dogs gets off on an adventure and there is dam' near nothing  too nasty for them to eat.

5 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Would love to do that just for the bird photo ops, but every so often one of the dogs gets off on an adventure and there is dam' near nothing  too nasty for them to eat.

And roll in.

Just now, Subdeacon Joe said:

And roll in.

My much beloved and long gone Bloodhound was a world champion at rolling in carrion, have no idea how many times I had to wash him.  You'd  think with their ultra sensitive nose, that would be unbearable.  Probably like perfume or aftershave to them!

The peanut butter is a good idea. Spread it on fresh lettuce. Keep in mind that with an animal as powerful as a chuck, that may be a one-time use trap unless you know a good metal worker. 

They are actually good to have around until they undermine your buildings. 

14 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

The Havahearts are exceptionally durable, a big one will even hold a Badger and come out undamaged.  If you have never seen a trap that can jump...

He has a Harbor freight trap. Know anybody who has a mig welder? They work well the first time but can get a little out of shape.

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bear said:

What would happen if you just enjoyed this critter living on your property?

Think Rabbits in Australia.  Prairie Dogs can take over square miles and damage already meager graze.  Others burrow and chew cables or undermine foundations, cute little Chipmunks (Chip & Dale) will chew up your cars and car wiring.  Rodents near the house are a crappy idea, at least out here.  

Just now, Rip Snorter said:

Think Rabbits in Australia.  Prairie Dogs can take over square miles and damage already meager graze.  Others burrow and chew cables or undermine foundations, cute little Chipmunks (Chip & Dale) will chew up your cars and car wiring.  Rodents near the house are a crappy idea, at least out here.  

Ah ok....so its never just one to enjoy.

Our garage slab is undermined by rabbits and the dash battery light started coming on last week in the SUV, popped the bonnet and there's a heap of rat droppings all of the engine and wired chewed :( 

10 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

What would happen if you just enjoyed this critter living on your property?

Likely have the shed and house foundations damaged as the burrow is right under the shed and only a foot from the house.

I also don’t want the German Shepherd bit because he loves to chase.

BBEEE7D3-6732-49F3-A372-BCA1A9176EB0.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

6 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Ah ok....so its never just one to enjoy.

Our garage slab is undermined by rabbits and the dash battery light started coming on last week in the SUV, popped the bonnet and there's a heap of rat droppings all of the engine and wired chewed :( 

I keep poison pellets in the car in places the dogs can't reach, it does seem to help, as does frequent inspection.

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Famous! 

5 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I keep poison pellets in the car in places the dogs can't reach, it does seem to help, as does frequent inspection.

Famous! 

I keep them around the out buildings and sheds, but I'm always a little worried that rats will carry pieces of the poison block away and the dogs will find them. 

Never tried to put them under the hoods of the cars....PITA that they like to get into the engine bays of vehicles.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

My much beloved and long gone Bloodhound was a world champion at rolling in carrion, have no idea how many times I had to wash him.  You'd  think with their ultra sensitive nose, that would be unbearable.  Probably like perfume or aftershave to them!

Years ago at the family cabin at Lake Pillsbury with my sister & brother in law we were walking ours dogs down to the beach.  They had a medium sized tarrier mix & we had a doxy & German Shepard.  Their dog & the doxy found the rotting hid of a small critter.  Both had to roll in the stinky mess.  The German Shepard wouldn't get closer than a couple of feet.  We didn't realize how bad the two dogs smelled until they were inside.

7 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I keep them around the out buildings and sheds, but I'm always a little worried that rats will carry pieces of the poison block away and the dogs will find them. 

Never tried to put them under the hoods of the cars....PITA that they like to get into the engine bays of vehicles.

Same here!

For stinky dogs this works well - if used on a skunked dogs, wear rubber gloves as there is a (IMO small) rabies risk. 

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution (found at any pharmacy or supermarket)
1/4 cup of baking soda
1 teaspoon of liquid dishwashing soap
Rinse thoroughly after lukewarm water for the wash and rinse makes the dogs more cooperative.

I never made a batch this big even for my biggest dogs.

I tell ya' what's not fun.....when your little lap dog that sleeps under the quilt between yourself and your wife goes outside in the night to go to the loo and finds an abomination to roll in and then hops back in the bed and goes under the covers and you wake up thinking "What's that godawful smell"?

Not a lot of fun washing and blow drying a dog and changing the bed sheets at 2.00am in the morning :( 

28 minutes ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Likely have the shed and house foundations damaged as the burrow is right under the shed and only a foot from the house.

I also don’t want the German Shepherd bit because he loves to chase.

BBEEE7D3-6732-49F3-A372-BCA1A9176EB0.jpeg

Those jackass ears are beautiful.  Samantha a small female was our first dog.  She was very protective of our two rug rats.  She was so special that we never got another German Shepard because we knew we'd be disappointed.  For burrowing varmints smaller than badgers get mini doxy's.  This breed are tenacious hunters.  I have had four and 3 of the four were always looking for small critters to kill.  The fourth one never showed any interest in hunting or chasing until she was ten and got into my grandson's chicken coop.  She'd been by the coop a hundred times wo/showing any interest.   I have a doxydoor that digs trenches following gopher, rabbit & squirrel burrows.  He is a digging fool.  The digging is easy since the property is fine sand with BB sized cinders mixed in.  Shepards & Golden Retrievers have fantastic senses of smell.  Chief our male Golden that passed two years ago had a very advanced sense of smell.  One time he sat in our shop/garage building and whined.  He didn't stop until the misses moved four boxes that were blocking his path to a dresser drawer.  He stuck his nose on one of the draws which the misses opened to display a tennis ball.  That ball had been in the drawer for over a year when we sold or house in east CoCo county.   He put his scent on every ball he could pick up in his mouth.

22 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Those jackass ears are beautiful.  Samantha a small female was our first dog.  She was very protective of our two rug rats.  She was so special that we never got another German Shepard because we knew we'd be disappointed.  For burrowing varmints smaller than badgers get mini doxy's.  This breed are tenacious hunters.  I have had four and 3 of the four were always looking for small critters to kill.  The fourth one never showed any interest in hunting or chasing until she was ten and got into my grandson's chicken coop.  She'd been by the coop a hundred times wo/showing any interest.   I have a doxydoor that digs trenches following gopher, rabbit & squirrel burrows.  He is a digging fool.  The digging is easy since the property is fine sand with BB sized cinders mixed in.  Shepards & Golden Retrievers have fantastic senses of smell.  Chief our male Golden that passed two years ago had a very advanced sense of smell.  One time he sat in our shop/garage building and whined.  He didn't stop until the misses moved four boxes that were blocking his path to a dresser drawer.  He stuck his nose on one of the draws which the misses opened to display a tennis ball.  That ball had been in the drawer for over a year when we sold or house in east CoCo county.   He put his scent on every ball he could pick up in his mouth.

Dachs in German is Badger, and a formidable critter. Full size Doxies are fearless and will do what they were bred to do, go in the burrow after them.  I've always had large dogs, but Doxies and Corgis have earned my respect.

13 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Put in Pressure cooker for 45 minutes.

Take out put on Baking pan.

Put Barbecue Sauce on. 

Put in oven for a few Minutes.

Sounds like something dogs might roll in!  :rolleyes:

When living in Alabama, we had a ground hog dig under our back fence and entered our yard.  Wife thought the critter was cute.  That is until our Vet told her about the number of dogs he's treated that get disemboweled by ground hogs.  Most dogs don't survive.  The ground hog's defense is to flip on it's back and rip the soft underbelly of the dog.  The wife didn't think the ground hog was cute anymore as we had two beloved French Brittany bird dogs.  Later, we saw the ground hog again come into back yard again.  I got the .22 rifle.  Didn't have a safe shot and ground hog got spooked and ducked back under the fence.  I went into the house, opened the back door, sat in a chair, and waited for the critter to come back.  Sure enough, he stuck his head out just under the fence.  He died of lead poisoning.

48 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Dachs in German is Badger, and a formidable critter. Full size Doxies are fearless and will do what they were bred to do, go in the burrow after them.  I've always had large dogs, but Doxies and Corgis have earned my respect.

Mini's were breed to go down rabbit holes & clamp their nasty canines on a rabbit.  Their tails are for their handles to grab onto & pull them out of the hole.  The shape of their chest is to prevent getting wedged onto the tunnel.

22 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

You can't be too much of an amateur, Whisky.

There was no mention of gasoline, fireworks or the use of Black Powder in you initial post.:D

There is a thread on here somewhere about my wife blowing up my crapper because of a chuck. 

Archived