SASS Wire Forum

Corrosion X

Texas Jack Black

Anyone try this? It is  supposed to prevent rust is said to fill the microscope pores of steel. Also said to lift rust.

Mighty big claims So I was looking for feed back.

Thank You 

JB

I have used Corrosion X for years.   Prior to that, my 97 would get a light patina after every match due to my sweating hands.   Not any more.   Also, I don’t have to clean the barrels or chambers nearly as often as before.   I also keep a bottle at the drill press.  I would recommend it. 
HNH

1 hour ago, Griff said:

I'll be looking forward to your report... jb!

Looks promising.;)

I’ve not heard nor used it, but it does sound interesting. And the name sound like a Marvel super-villain!  :-)

I got a can many many years ago when it was new to the market. I sprayed down several old parkerized MAS 49/56 magazines that I got pretty cheap due to some light to moderate rust.

Left it on heavy for a month, then hit the mags with  toothbrush. It didn't lift or make the rust any easier to remove than Hoppes No9 or Ballistol, bit I did find that it works better than Ballistol or CLP when it comes to storage.

Sprayed a coat of CorrosionX on several pistol magazines I brought back from overseas. I left them in open air in a tray under my cluttered work bench in my garage and forgot about them until doing some cleaning 10 years later. Not a spec of new rust and the coating was still slightly wet after all those years. Had I left a coat of Ballistol or CLP on them and left them in open air, I'm sure those oils would have dried up after ten years. 

The CorrosionX also protects my hand tools from rust. They get pretty grimy working on my 69 Camaro, so I give the tools a shot of brake cleaner to get the crud off, then wipe them down with a rag with CorrosionX before putting the tools back. Keeps them in great condition. 

I've never tried to use it as a lube before, so not sure if it would work for that. I usually lube with CLP or Lucas Gun oil like Cactus Jack

On 6/7/2022 at 6:01 AM, john brown said:

I ordered  a few cans.

From where?

I looked on Brownell's and Midway and neither had this in stock.

5 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

From where?

I looked on Brownell's and Midway and neither had this in stock.

Amazon

Good stuff for prevention.

I'm using FrogLube or Seal 1 for that now. 

The Seal 1 seems to work well as a lube too,  Folks complained that Frog Lube would sometimes gum up things a bit, especially if you didn't take essentially all of it off.  So I use in on my 97 and it has stopped the rust even in rainy weather.

Archived