SASS Wire Forum

Time for a Home Defense Shotgun

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

We all have a fund of life experiences that built our beliefs and practices and they are subjectively valid.  I would not have casually walked into my parents house unless already visiting, my adult children are the same.

Mid-evening, storm door closed, main door open, and lights on in the kitchen. He’d been invited and was expected.  He WASN’T expecting a shotgun welcome!!

The example was given to illustrate the effective deterrence of that sound when heard by someone in a place where one doesn’t belong!!

A very simple and inexpensive way to boost security is night lights.  Because the dogs sleep wherever they care to, I have several night lights carefully positioned around the house.  They are adequate to help me avoid tripping on a dog and to recognize and  / or silhouette a person.  I have both night sights and a flashlight, but with these few little lights could do without either in a pinch.

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I’ve got a Beretta 1301 , it’s a great gun but it’s expensive. But none of the reliable autos are cheap.

Think about a shorter lop especially for your wife . Magpul makes a nice shotgun buttstock where you can use spacers to adjust the lop 

This is what I have , personally I think it’s the best thing going in a semi auto , and I’ve owned benelli’s 

https://langdontactical.com/ltt-1301-shotgun/

I'd like to keep the cost under $500 and the 1301 exceeds it.

Snip-it_1654359103096.jpg.1d23cc99772944f3d8595e1dd1b9ae82.jpg

Snip-it_1654359764716.jpg.d34db510ef55ca58fa141f1a87830aaf.jpg

Snip-it_1654359783062.jpg.7c9883d6795358455f9f0c9a76435f8b.jpg

Since you are concerned with your wife shooting it I think a trip to a range that rents guns is in order. Let her pick it. 

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I don't like pumps.  Never have. 

I went with a Remington 1100 for a dedicated house gun. The barrel is a factory 21" rifle sighted one with choke tubes.  The butt is a SpeedFeed III and the forearm is an old SureFire Responder.

DSC00004.jpg

I'd like to keep the cost under $500 and the Remington 1100 exceeds that.

Snip-it_1654360275766.thumb.jpg.2ac9e9624e3f399d45d7ac4014b552f8.jpg

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Might consider putting a good light on the shotgun. Shooting anything in the dark gets tricky. Not being able to ID what you're pointing the gun at is dangerous.

I would also ad a sling , you never know when you might need to use your hands for something other than holding the gun.

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

My lady has one, it does fit her and she is of smaller stature.

She also likes her Mossberg 505 Youth 20GA, but advises using light loads in it (Estate Super Sport Target Load 7-1/2 works). The stock was just a wee bit short for her so she added a butt pad. The trigger reach is easier for smaller hands.

She also just informed me new Mossberg 500s can now take shorty shells.

The Mossberg 505 Youth only comes in .410 and 20 gauge. Price is good; however, not sure why they don't offer it in 12 gauge.

They do offer a 500 Youth Bantam version.

Snip-it_1654360595022.jpg.b3f16e52ea87e445fd78040683e40e7e.jpg

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Mossberg Shockwave

402F362E-B8DB-4538-AC12-195246E8C23A.jpeg

I've seen these before and as I mentioned earlier, considering a pistol grip would need to be approved by Ann.

Snip-it_1654361037871.jpg.c089b713728753805cf92c41ade1417e.jpg

Other items of interest:

1. 12 gauge, 20 gauge or .410?

2. Ideal length of barrel.

3. Best ammo for self-defense - Buckshot, slug, etc.

Just curious here, if you use a coach gun, is there any issue with it being cocked all the time? Wouldn't want to be fumbling shells in a crisis ya know. Bad enough when the buzzer goes off !

1 minute ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Just curious here, if you use a coach gun, is there any issue with it being cocked all the time? Wouldn't want to be fumbling shells in a crisis ya know. Bad enough when the buzzer goes off !

In one of his books, Jeff Cooper talks about long term staging of a defensive shotgun un cocked with a puff of cotton in the end of each barrel.  I would sure not stage one cocked myself. IMO That is absolutely an accident waiting to happen. 

Okay, very few shotguns get shot enough to wear them out, so a good used gun should be on your list. If your wife is left handed, the Mossberg 500 series have a tang safety, better for lefties, but DON'T put a pistol grip on it as that negates the advantage. The 500s and 870s are great guns, and if you can find a clean used 1100 that will serve very well.

And there is a 870 and Winchester Model 12 at either end of the house.

52 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Other items of interest:

1. 12 gauge, 20 gauge or .410?

2. Ideal length of barrel.

3. Best ammo for self-defense - Buckshot, slug, etc.

1. 12 gauge

2. 18-20"

3. #4 buckshot

8 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

No there isn't a issue with keeping a round in the chamber. 

4 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

In one of his books, Jeff Cooper talks about long term staging of a defensive shotgun un cocked with a puff of cotton in the end of each barrel.  I would sure not stage one cocked myself. IMO That is absolutely an accident waiting to happen. 

Well IMO keeping the shotgun uncocked for HD is about as smart as carrying a 1911 without being cocked and locked for concealed carry. When crap hits the fan don't want to be trying to chamber rounds. Unloaded guns are for the safe.

Just now, Slapshot said:

No there isn't a issue with keeping a round in the chamber. 

Well IMO keeping the shotgun uncocked for HD is about as smart as carrying a 1911 without being cocked and locked for concealed carry. When crap hits the fan don't want to be trying to chamber rounds. Unloaded guns are for the safe.

Didn't say anything about unloaded. 

8 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Problem is, you can't load a coach gun without it being cocked.

Apologies Cool Gun, didn't mean to hijack your thread. 

6 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Problem is, you can't load a coach gun without it being cocked.

You can't load a hammerless gun without it being cooked. A coach gun is simply a shotgun with a short barrel. Hammer or hammerless is irrelevant.

2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I'd like to keep the cost under $500 and the Remington 1100 exceeds that.

Snip-it_1654360275766.thumb.jpg.2ac9e9624e3f399d45d7ac4014b552f8.jpg

Two words.

Pawn Shop.

Since I was looking for a base gun for a custom build and the only thing original to the gun now is the mag tube (minus the extension), receiver, trigger group and bolt assembly, I went to the pawn shop and bought the nastiest, cheapest 1100 that was still functional.

I found a 3" magnum action gun that fit the bill nicely.  It had a muzzle that was out of round, rust all over it, camo duct tape covering the wood (which turned out to be in good shape) and didn't look like it had ever been cleaned.

I got it in the late '90's for $200 out the door and I think the guy behind the counter thought he'd found a pilgrim.  He even threw in a aerosol can of Gun Scrubber for free.:lol:

Went home and ordered a new o-ring kit and springs from Remington along with the barrel- I wanted a shorter barrel with rifle sights and they make a 2 3/4", 21" one that will work on the 3" action fine fit the bill nicely. 

In the mean time, I used 2 cans of aerosol cleaner and about 3 days of scrubbing with Hoppe's and a tooth brush to get the burnt powder build up out of the action (ya'll did catch that I said it looked like it had never been cleaned, right?).

In the end, I had $600 wrapped up in the equivalent of a Scattergun Technologies K-9 model.  The only major differences is mine's an 1100 instead of an 11-87, it's not all parkerized and I have an open rear sight instead of a ghost ring- and that it didn't cost $12-1500 bucks.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

If it isn't in the chamber its not loaded. So if its hammerless its cocked.

7 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Obviously I have my SASS Stoeger double barrel, the rabbit-ear I inherited from Ann's Dad when he passed, and an older Browning single barrel that she got from her older brother after he passed.
I'd like to get a shotgun specifically for home defense.
Initially I thought of a pump action; however, not sure if they make them where a woman can easily handle the pump mechanism.
Unless there is a particular model designed for easier use, I'm leaning towards a semi auto shotgun.
Barrel length should be considered as the longer the barrel the weight increases and maneuverability becomes an issue.
Your thoughts if you own one or have researched same.
Thanks.

The only semi I used for HD was a 100 with 2 shot extension and 18" barrel. Should have kept it. As far as pumps go I have 2 Mossy 500's with 18-19" barrels that I like. I think as easy as they are to operate, that a woman could use them.

4 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I've seen these before and as I mentioned earlier, considering a pistol grip would need to be approved by Ann.

Snip-it_1654361037871.jpg.c089b713728753805cf92c41ade1417e.jpg

The reason I like the Shockwave is the length. Trying to maneuver a longer gun in low light with furniture, doorways, etc in the equation can be a problem. You can load it with short Aquila shells that much reduce thee recoil. I got mine for under $500. Then I added a Crimson Trace saddle laser.

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

That's why I like my Rossi. You can leave the gun loaded and cock the hammer if necessary. 

19 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The reason I like the Shockwave is the length. Trying to maneuver a longer gun in low light with furniture, doorways, etc in the equation can be a problem. You can load it with short Aquila shells that much reduce thee recoil. I got mine for under $500. Then I added a Crimson Trace saddle laser.

Bob, did you have to install an adapter to feed the shorter shells?

24 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Bob, did you have to install an adapter to feed the shorter shells?

Yes. About $10.

Well, I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian... anyone surprised?

Pistol Caliber Compatibility: Ruger PC Carbine Review | RECOIL OFFGRID

That's a Ruger Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC). It was our choice for the Battle of the Bedroom/ Home Defense firearm.

A tactical shotgun is a fine weapon in certain situations; but its weight, length, recoil, relatively complex manual of arms, and most telling, limited ammo capacity, are significant handicaps. The Ruger, and other similar PCCs, is lighter, more compact, and nimble. It can easily hold 33 rounds, is very quick to reload and has only negligible recoil. Because just about all the pistol round's powder is burned in the 16" barrel, it's somewhat hearing safe (sorta) inside the home. The RPCC can also be easily equipped with the necessary weapon light, as well as a modern red dot sight. IMNSHO, the RPCC is the best solution to the many inside/ near the house scenarios.  Outside of those broad parameters, there are better choices, such as an AR-15. 

Our Ruger PCC is in "Lung Blower" (whata maroon) 9mm, takes all Glock 9mm double stack mags, including the cheap 33 round Happy Sticks, with a linear compensator (soon to be a suppressor), a red dot sight and a weapons light/ laser. A single point sling, extended mag release, cheek pad, and a second charging handle for ambidextrous operations round out the ensemble.  The Ruger is soft shooting, reliable, accurate, with a great trigger; all in a basic, affordable carbine.  Ruger did their homework well.

Versatility is its key feature; as the PPC can go from point-blank to 100+ yards easily, it shares magazines with Glock CCWs, its ammo capacity helps offset the growing trend of three or more home invaders, and it's easy to move, aim and hit with. Best of all -- it really is just a jumped-up 10/22, 'Murica's beloved rimfire rifle. Most people have shot one, and if your home doesn't have a 10/22, you best correct that lack ASAP, you're missing out on a whole lotta fun. I did bring the RPPC to a new shooter event. Men and women alike all loved the lil' carbine. I'm told I sold two of them that day. 

Don't believe me? (I know Calamity doesn't  ;) ), how 'bout Tiger McKee, a damn fine RealKinetik instructor and writer.   https://americanhandgunner.com/discover/training-tips/the-pistol-caliber-carbine-for-defense/

Ruger's website: https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

Take good care, 

UM

you wrote that you had an old single barrel Browning shotgun. if it is a Browning auto 12 gauge you can’t do any better the gangsters and law men loved them in the past. you can get five shells n and don’t have to be worried auto pumping it. Irish ☘️ PatC8893BE9-B50F-48F8-8418-822669D3BE8C.thumb.jpeg.9233aa0eae29dc22cf832387e7655cd5.jpeg

Either a pump or semi-auto will work fine for home defense.   Be sure to round the ammo off as if you were cowboy shooting to avoid jambs.  

Breach loading shotguns, like DBs  are a bad choice for home defense because the gun is disabled during reloading (But you knew that already). 

LIke Uncle Bob... I like short shotguns you can shoot inside a phone booth with the door closed.

Remington V3 Tac-13... a Non-NFA semi-auto, similar to the shockwave.  Two articles with accompanying pictures:

2020 Tactical Gun of the Year: Remington Tac-13 | An Official Journal Of The NRA (americanrifleman.org)

Tested: Remington V3 Tac-13 | An Official Journal Of The NRA (americanrifleman.org)

Archived