SASS Wire Forum

Time for a Home Defense Shotgun

Obviously I have my SASS Stoeger double barrel, the rabbit-ear I inherited from Ann's Dad when he passed, and an older Browning single barrel that she got from her older brother after he passed.
I'd like to get a shotgun specifically for home defense.
Initially I thought of a pump action; however, not sure if they make them where a woman can easily handle the pump mechanism.
Unless there is a particular model designed for easier use, I'm leaning towards a semi auto shotgun.
Barrel length should be considered as the longer the barrel the weight increases and maneuverability becomes an issue.
Your thoughts if you own one or have researched same.
Thanks.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Maverick 88. Light weight pump.  The light weight does make for some kick.

Can be fitted with a shorter Mossberg barrel, no gunsmith required.

The Mossberg 500 is heavier and a bit more expensive.

The Mossberg also has a tang rather than cross bolt safety, a great visual cue it is ready to go.

For a semi, I would look for at the Mossberg 930 (or maybe 940). The Miculek versions for 3-gun would also serve well for home defense.

YES.  And YES.

A pump gun makes perfect sense.  Pump Action guns cycle quite easily when running factory ammunition.  Most manufacturers offer a "Riot" length barrel.  Model '97 and/or Model 12 riot guns make excellent "Home Defense" guns with the magazine block removed.

I transitioned a whole bunch of ladies to '97 through the years and ALL the gals loved pump guns.

Pretty much what I did to retrofit a Mossy 88.  18.5" barrel with an extended magazine tube. Also fit it with a Limbsaver buttpad.

image.thumb.jpeg.165ab1dd9a61ba60de785756586e7723.jpeg

A Mossberg 930SPX or the Benelli M2 are great choices for semi-auto shotguns but there ain't no reason why the Rem 870 cannot be made to work quite well.

All-in-all, if a SxS is what you have, it'll get the job done. 

I’ve got a Beretta 1301 , it’s a great gun but it’s expensive. But none of the reliable autos are cheap.

Think about a shorter lop especially for your wife . Magpul makes a nice shotgun buttstock where you can use spacers to adjust the lop 

This is what I have , personally I think it’s the best thing going in a semi auto , and I’ve owned benelli’s 

https://langdontactical.com/ltt-1301-shotgun/

I don't like pumps.  Never have. 

I went with a Remington 1100 for a dedicated house gun. The barrel is a factory 21" rifle sighted one with choke tubes.  The butt is a SpeedFeed III and the forearm is an old SureFire Responder.

DSC00004.jpg

26 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I’ve got a Beretta 1301...

My lady has one, it does fit her and she is of smaller stature.

She also likes her Mossberg 505 Youth 20GA, but advises using light loads in it (Estate Super Sport Target Load 7-1/2 works). The stock was just a wee bit short for her so she added a butt pad. The trigger reach is easier for smaller hands.

She also just informed me new Mossberg 500s can now take shorty shells.

5 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

My lady has one, it does fit her and she is of smaller stature.

She also likes her Mossberg 505 Youth 20GA, but advises using light loads in it (Estate Super Sport Target Load 7-1/2 works). The stock was just a wee bit short for her so she added a butt pad. The trigger reach is easier for smaller hands.

She also just informed me new Mossberg 500s can now take shorty shells.

Allot of the time the 20ga with heavy loads will kick more than the 12 just because the gun is lighter . My wife doesn’t mind the light federal flight control buckshot out of the 1301. She doesn’t find it fun like a 223 , but she understands it’s purpose 

Mossberg Shockwave

402F362E-B8DB-4538-AC12-195246E8C23A.jpeg

The beretta has 7 in the tube one in the chamber and you can load one on the carrier. I figure if I use 9 rounds of 2 3/4 buck I’m probably going to make the national news . But if that’s not enough I’ve got 6 in the side saddle and a match saver , so 15 on the gun 

Nothing quite beats the sound of a slide racking in the dark in the middle of the night as a deterrent!:lol::FlagAm:

I'm not brand specific.  There are four shotguns strategically placed around my house.  A Montgomery Ward Western Field Model 30 (Stevens Model 520), a Benelli Nova, a Remington 870 and a Coast to Coast Master-Mag 20 gauge. The first three are 12 gauge.  All are pump guns.  All have full magazines, and empty chambers.  

I'm not a believer in the "rack the shotgun" idea, and most certainly not the "fire in the air" school of thought.  All things being equal, by racking you have informed the perp that you are armed, possibly given away your location, and worse with adrenalin flowing, possibly short stroked or activated the safety and forgot to switch it off.  All this pretty much irrelevant in my situation since there are three large dogs in the house.  IMO. in a life threatening situation I believe in surprise, speed and application of extreme force.  An additional downside to use of a shotgun indoors is cleanup.  A couple of years ago I shot a porcupine with a 12 gauge in the front yard. The cleanup to keep the dogs out of the mess was a considerable task.  Transfer that indoors using something between #4 and 00 Buck.  Out here, after the Sheriff leaves, clean up will be strictly DIY.

Might consider putting a good light on the shotgun. Shooting anything in the dark gets tricky. Not being able to ID what you're pointing the gun at is dangerous.

Just now, Dantankerous said:

Might consider putting a good light on the shotgun. Shooting anything in the dark gets tricky. Not being able to ID what you're pointing the gun at is dangerous.

The AR in the corner by the bed has a light on it.  

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

I have a Maverick 88. Light weight pump.  The light weight does make for some kick.

Can be fitted with a shorter Mossberg barrel, no gunsmith required.

The Mossberg 500 is heavier and a bit more expensive.

The Mossberg also has a tang rather than cross bolt safety, a great visual cue it is ready to go.

For a semi, I would look for at the Mossberg 930 (or maybe 940). The Miculek versions for 3-gun would also serve well for home defense.

Starting with @John Kloehr:
The Maverick 88 looks like a viable option.  I will put it on my further research list.

The price is certainly great.

Snip-it_1654355759655.jpg.555ce341e145cc2dc4e06a7eb7dc34db.jpg

Snip-it_1654355716254.jpg.d862edaf091afbff74c56be55b35caa6.jpg

Snip-it_1654355779876.jpg.ef188748f82060984121d2db49bb7ba0.jpg

I also like the Mossberg 500 and it's price.

Snip-it_1654356510446.jpg.5d87d8b33b8f25217563ea9adb602cf7.jpg

Snip-it_1654356535221.jpg.7b4d2cccd39e31ecbf253511f583ec3e.jpg

However, the Mossberg 930 and 940 are out of my price range for now.

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

YES.  And YES.

A pump gun makes perfect sense.  Pump Action guns cycle quite easily when running factory ammunition.  Most manufacturers offer a "Riot" length barrel.  Model '97 and/or Model 12 riot guns make excellent "Home Defense" guns with the magazine block removed.

I transitioned a whole bunch of ladies to '97 through the years and ALL the gals loved pump guns.

Next up @Colorado Coffinmaker:
I'm assuming the acquisition of a Model 97 or Model 12 Riot shotguns would only be available through an online auction such as Gun Broker?

Here’s my Mossberg 500 with the 7 round mag. I installed and Adaptive Tactical stock with a light and side saddle. The collapsible stock gives you 9.5” - 14” trigger pull. I keep it short due to the damage to my left arm and shoulder. Easier to rack that way. 13 rounds of 12 gauge handy. 

C427AD93-F418-4CA8-996C-A2E8404F77E9.thumb.jpeg.1bb44c1422f878387263c434542979a5.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I'm not a believer in the "rack the shotgun" idea, and most certainly not the "fire in the air" school of thought.  All things being equal, by racking you have informed the perp that you are armed, possibly given away your location, and worse with adrenalin flowing, possibly short stroked or activated the safety and forgot to switch it off.  All this pretty much irrelevant in my situation since there are three large dogs in the house.  IMO. in a life threatening situation I believe in surprise, speed and application of extreme force.  An additional downside to use of a shotgun indoors is cleanup.  A couple of years ago I shot a porcupine with a 12 gauge in the front yard. The cleanup to keep the dogs out of the mess was a considerable task.  Transfer that indoors using something between #4 and 00 Buck.  Out here, after the Sheriff leaves, clean up will be strictly DIY.

I agree with the aftermath scenario.  That is why we have rifles strategically staged.  Also, if you have a PITA DA wanting to take you up on charges for harming the poor victim of society, it's likely easier to defend why you had a rifle in the house for defense than a shotgun.  "Shotguns are for hunting......."

YMMV

2 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

@Patagonia Pete:

Had not considered the "pistol grip" shorty shotguns.

Snip-it_1654357967342.jpg.c70f4ab5bf2878451185927c36ca043b.jpg

Most appear to be in lever action which may be an issue for the wife.
Will keep them in mind though for their shortness of overall length.
If considered,  Ann will have to make that decision.

15 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

On the racking of the shotgun, I beg to differ!

Schoolmarm and I were practicing for an upcoming match.  We were in the back bedroom of the house. She was working on single reloading her ‘97 against the clock and had just hit the random start on the timer when my son, (married and living elsewhere) opened the back door and stepped into the kitchen at the other end of the house.

She slammed the bolt closed just as his foot hit the floor. He started shouting, “it’s me! It’s me! DON’T SHOOT! It’s ME!”

On a separate occasion, I was working very late at the shop where we kept and maintained our race cars.  I decided to take a quick nap while some gasket sealer, (RTV) cured on an intake manifold installation I was doing.  My intention was to start and run the engine before going home. 

The shop was in the roughest neighborhood in a bad part of town.  I kicked back in the back office with my feet up on the desk and stood one of the shop shotguns up beside me. I don’t know how long I dozed, but I heard someone break the glass on the front door. 

I stood up, grabbed the shotgun, and racked a round into the chamber. You could hear two voices shout, “OH! S#!T!!” and the culprits scramble back out the door!

I never saw them, but I can say with complete certainty that the sound of that shotgun being activated sent them quickly on their way!

4 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

On the racking of the shotgun, I beg to differ!

Schoolmarm and I were practicing for an upcoming match.  We were in the back bedroom of the house. She was working on single reloading her ‘97 against the clock and had just hit the random start on the timer when my son, (married and living elsewhere) opened the back door and stepped into the kitchen at the other end of the house.

She slammed the bolt closed just as his foot hit the floor. He started shouting, “it’s me! It’s me! DON’T SHOOT! It’s ME!”

On a separate occasion, I was working very late at the shop where we kept and maintained our race cars.  I decided to take a quick nap while some gasket sealer, (RTV) cured on an intake manifold installation I was doing.  My intention was to start and run the engine before going home. 

The shop was in the roughest neighborhood in a bad part of town.  I kicked back in the back office with my feet up on the desk and stood one of the shop shotguns up beside me. I don’t know how long I dozed, but I heard someone break the glass on the front door. 

I stood up, grabbed the shotgun, and racked a round into the chamber. You could hear two voices shout, “OH! S#!T!!” and the culprits scramble back out the door!

I never saw them, but I can say with complete certainty that the sound of that shotgun being activated sent them quickly on their way!

We all have a fund of life experiences that built our beliefs and practices and they are subjectively valid.  I would not have casually walked into my parents house unless already visiting, my adult children are the same.

15 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I'm assuming the acquisition of a Model 97 or Model 12 Riot shotguns would only be available through an online auction such as Gun Broker?

Model 97s and Model 12s show up quite frequently in the classifieds. I've got a 97 with a 30-inch barrel. If I absolutely felt I needed to have a 97 Riot gun, I've got a hacksaw.

People talk about pump guns, and I will admit that the one leaning against my bedroom wall is an Ithaca 37.

But the desired outcome of this is not to have a dead body in the hallway. Makes a hell of a mess, and I'm sure it would be quite loud. If I found someone coming down my hallway at night, I will be quite happy for him to look at my gun and decide he wants to be somewhere else, and turned around and hauled ass.

While someone suddenly discovering a 3/4 inch pipe pointed in their face would probably discourage them from continuing, a SxS 12 gauge is about the scariest thing I can think of encountering in someone else's house in the middle of the night.

And if I had the need to shoot someone with my twice-barreled 12 gauge, if I ain't hit him after two there's a problem. And that 5-to-20-round pump gun probably won't help.

If the Dalton gang, or the wild bunch, or the James Younger gang broke into my house, I can see needing many shells in my defense gun. But I expect that a burglar is going to be one person. And if it is more than one person, I expected blowing a large hole through the first one would make the second or third one leave quickly.

The point of that long winded explanation, is it I would stay with the double barrel that you've already got.

Can't imagine how loud an AR would be in the house! They are pretty loud outside. 

Doesn't matter if they know I'm in a dark bedroom, I will see their silhouette in the doorway if they are stupid enough to keep coming. Yes, the mess would suck, but that's what Service Master is for!

I don't know about the racking of a pump gun. I have never had that happen to me. But...

My wife had this bad habit of constantly rearranging the furniture. I was working 3:00 to 11:00, and they decided we needed some overtime that day. I get home about 3:00 in the morning and open the front door and the first thing I see is the back of a couch. That tells me that she has rearranged the living room, yet again. Not wanting to wake everyone up by turning on the overhead, or by tripping over the furniture, I am standing there in the doorway. I have taken my mini mag out of its sheath and am just moving it around the living room, trying to figure the best way to get through the living room to the bedroom.

And then I hear CLICK, as the hammer went back on that 357.

"Uh, Baby, it's me. Put the hammer down."

Didn't need no RACK-RACK to get my attention. That click worked real good.

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

A Mossberg 930SPX or the Benelli M2 are great choices for semi-auto shotguns but there ain't no reason why the Rem 870 cannot be made to work quite well.

All-in-all, if a SxS is what you have, it'll get the job done. 

The Remington 870 is another viable option to consider as it's priced in the $399 range.

Snip-it_1654358548341.thumb.jpg.1259cd73d97dfc2437fef10a6fba9a7a.jpg
The Mossberg 930SPX and Benelli M2 are too pricey right now if I'm to be able to afford getting additional guns in the near future.

Archived