SASS Wire Forum

Pretty Boy Floyd

Okiepan

1934 was a bad year for lots of them outlawish miscreants. :o

I remember hearing an interview with his sister or his aunt - some female relation anyway. She said that people claim his name was Charles Arthur Floyd. That's even what they put on his tombstone. But his name was not Charles. His name was Charlie Arthur Floyd.

When they were in school, my brother's best friend was named Ronnie. Not Ronald - Ronnie. His mother told me that she did not like nicknames, and she knew that if she named him Ronald people would call him Ronnie, so she named him Ronnie. That was a great plan until he graduated high school and started going by Ron. :rolleyes:

But I figure if she could name him Ronnie, instead of Ronald, then Mr Floyd's mother could name him Charlie instead of Charles.

But people don't seem to want to let parents name their kids what they want to. If you meet someone named Billy, you just know that his name is William.

Strange.

13 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I remember hearing an interview with his sister or his aunt - some female relation anyway. She said that people claim his name was Charles Arthur Floyd. That's even what they put on his tombstone. But his name was not Charles. His name was Charlie Arthur Floyd.

When they were in school, my brother's best friend was named Ronnie. Not Ronald - Ronnie. His mother told me that she did not like nicknames, and she knew that if she named him Ronald people would call him Ronnie, so she named him Ronnie. That was a great plan until he graduated high school and started going by Ron. :rolleyes:

But I figure if she could name him Ronnie, instead of Ronald, then Mr Floyd's mother could name him Charlie instead of Charles.

But people don't seem to want to let parents name their kids what they want to. If you meet someone named Billy, you just know that his name is William.

Strange.

That's because they are know it alls that know more about your name than you do.

My name is JOHNNIE- just like my Dad.  It's not John.  It's certainly not Jonathon. 

It's JOHNNIE- AND THAT'S SPELLED WITH AN 'H' AND AN 'IE'- NOT A 'Y'.

I had a boss that, after repeatedly telling him that my name isn't Jonathon, I just had to ignore until he called me by my actual name.  The arrogant SOB tried to write me up for insubordination for ignoring him- until it was pointed out that it was all his fault.

My brother goes the other way. His name is Robert. It is not Rob, it is not Bob, and it damn sure is not Bobby. And he will not respond if you call him any of those diminutives.

He told me one time about being on a conference call with his boss, and the boss told the other guy that he was going to send Bob out to take care of it, and my brother says, "Robert". Then the boss says that when Bob gets out there he'll show you what you're doing wrong, and my brother says, "Robert".

And three or four times during the phone conversation the boss refers to him as Bob, and every single time my brother says, "Robert". Then finally the boss says, "Bob, how long do you think it will take you to get there?" and my brother makes no response. And the boss two or three times repeats his question, to Bob. Finally my brother says, "I don't know who this Bob guy is you keep talking to, but apparently he's not in this conversation. My name is Robert".

56 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Strange.

You mean, like, William the Kid?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Strange.

I have a cousin who's given name is "Junior".  

I hear tell there was man named Marion by his mother, but went by the name John. Almost everyone who knew him though called him by his nickname "The Duke". :P

Snip-it_1654354671255.jpg.0ae9109e97b394366e50751472d53507.jpg

8 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

1934 was a bad year for lots of them outlawish miscreants. :o

It was also the year the 1934 Gun Control Act was instated. Restrictions on fully auto rifles. $200 tax stamp and a background check! I think you have to get fingerprinted as well and also it must be signed by a mayor, sheriff, prosecutor etc. It stands to this day!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It was also the year the 1934 Gun Control Act was instated. Restrictions on fully auto rifles. $200 tax stamp and a background check! I think you have to get fingerprinted as well and also it must be signed by a mayor, sheriff, prosecutor etc. It stands to this day!

Correct, but no CLEO sign-off needed if "owning" in a Trust. 

Those guys could buy a Thompson or BAR at a hardware store.

Not no more.

9 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I have a cousin who's given name is "Junior".  

We had a neighbor when I was a kid whose given name was Junior William, and my best friend in high school whose father's given name was Junior LeRoy.  My friend's name was Jae LeRoy.  I know a man here whose name is Junior Ronald.  His dad is Ronald so son goes by J. R.

Archived