SASS Wire Forum

Well....drawings over & I got my Elk Tag of a lifetime!

We have lots of great big game hunting here in Colorado (that's one of the reasons I retired here). The best unit take years to draw. I just received notification that I drew one of them. It took 12 years and this year I should get a nice bull and some great eating. I generally get a deer every year, but it's been a few since I got a tag for elk here. I have taken quite a few in Wyoming, but Colorado is calling! Probably the last one I'll draw in a trophy area as I am now 80. 

Here are a couple of mule deer from here. The big one is a 4x6 that is 30" wide., one of my biggest. 

4 x 6 30.JPG

Roger and buck at camp.jpg

What area did you draw?

17 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

What area did you draw?

Unit 61. It is about 100 miles north of me. I'll be going next week to start my summer scouting.

15 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Unit 61. It is about 100 miles north of me. I'll be going next week to start my summer scouting.

Is that over by Creede?

8 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Is that over by Creede?

It is just north of Nucla, west of Montrose and south of Grand Junction.

26 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

It is just north of Nucla, west of Montrose and south of Grand Junction.

Congrats!

I love Colorado, well, except for the Denver/Boulder area. ;) Two years ago November I was out in the area exactly where you're describing. I found it gorgeous.  Cannot wait to return. Best of luck with your hunt and have a great adventure scouting.

Fantastic. I’ll keep building points. Work is so screwed up, my jobs that I had planned wrapping up in August/early September are running into hunting season since even the most basic of electrical panels are 90-120 days out. By August I will have a good idea if I can get a week off and will see if any leftovers in decent areas are available; even cow tags for archery and ML seasons. My wife is anxious to get back out to Colorado and hunt archery season. 

1 hour ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

What rifle and caliber are you planning on using?

I shoot a Ruger #1 in .300 Weatherby. I reload and shoot my own stuff. It is topped with a Leupold VXlll 4 x 14. 

Archived