SASS Wire Forum

Tinnitus

Buckshot Bear

I have it, for at least 30 years. Don't know of any real cures but I get a LOT of emails saying they can cure it. UI just grin and bear it

Hearing aids can be of some help, per my audiologist and vets I know who have them. The science, as I understand it, is that the tinnitus in many instances is caused by the brain "creating" sound to replace a lack of input in the frequencies where there is damage. The hearing aids can provide enough sensory input so that the brain mutes the ringing. Or something like that. I'll be giving hearing aids a try soon. I've got it very bad, along with hearing loss. I'm just trying to get everything else on an even keel in order of priorities. 

Yep have it and hearing loss. The voices never stop, humming ringing. Only time it seems to subside is when I put on some kind of sleep noise, white, crickets thunder, rain. That lets my mind focus on those sounds and not the tinnitus.

I have had tinnitus since I was in the Navy. It has gotten worse every decade. The tones have changed over time. It has no beat so you can’t dance to it. 

The last 20 years it has been a high pitched noise. Sometimes to the right, sometimes left, but always towards the back of my head. 
I do know that reducing caffeine, nicotine and alcohol helps reduce the noise. Sugar causes the noise to increase as well. 
Actually the noise ain’t so bad when there are other noises around. Silence is deafening. Being in a loud room full of talking people drives me nuts. 

You just have to figure out what works for you. Sure, it’s annoying, but after a few years you’ll figure it out. ;)

Yeah, I have it and it's getting worse.  Sometimes I can't hear normal conversations anfdother times the tinnitus is almost silent.  It's starting to interfere with my sleep, though.

I'm have to make an appointment with the VA ear doctor.

BTW, have some amazing hearing aids: almost invisible, very comfortable, and rechargeable.  Vastly superior to my old ones, but they don't seen to do anything about tinnitus.

I’ve got it in spades, 35 years as a touring musician working from Bluegrass to Metal. 

I worked for one C&W icon for a few years who was 120 A-weighted db at the mic stand. I stood between him and his side-fill monitors, getting my scalp peeled every night. By comparison, the metal band Megadeth performs at 115 db stage volume. Add decades of crash cymbals bashing my brains in from behind, and my hearing is largely toast except for the ringing. I tried the drops and supplements years ago and never noticed any change.

I mainly deal with my tinnitus by drowning it out. I always have some kind of buffer noise going on. A fan, earbuds playing music, a thunderstorm on YouTube.

I forgot to mention that I had a doctor tell me that blood pressure can affect tinnitus as well. It doesn’t seem to make a difference with me, but apparently it does for some people. 

When we go north to the big woods you would think it would be quiet. My guests comment on the lack of noise. For me, I either hear a generator running in the distance or just EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. 

Ah yes, the monotony and endless drone of locusts in my head. I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore when at home or sleeping. However, when in noisy public place or a place where many people are talking around me (like a restaurant), I can't understand what anyone is saying...even a person sitting 2' away from me. My gal tells me that I don't listen to her when we go out, it's not that I don't listen (okay, sometimes it is), it's that the words are all garbled with all the other people talking.

My hearing loss and tinnitus is mostly from working in the construction trade for 40 years. I used to try to tell the new guys to use plugs...they don't listen, neither did I...now I can't listen.

Yes.  A constant high tone that never goes away.  That I know of, there are no known "cures."  No matter what the shills claim.  You're just stuck with it.  I haven't known "silence" in over 50 years.

Hearing aids with “therapy” signal which is basically white noise. I switch on and off as needed and it goes away for short intervals.

There are white noise boxes for bedside to help with sleep

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I forgot to mention that I had a doctor tell me that blood pressure can affect tinnitus as well. It doesn’t seem to make a difference with me, but apparently it does for some people. 

This and what Pat said earlier about caffeine. I asked my GP and he said try cutting down on Sodium. It seems to help some. I avoid salty foods and never add salt to my food after it is cooked.  Mine is a hiss right in the center of my head. 

The pros say my left ear is “profoundly deaf” (can’t hear sh@#&t). The VA Doc said he will give me new aides for both sides to try. If that doesn’t work on the left the next iteration would be a radio pickup/transmitter to the right ear piece. You loose the sense of audio direction that way. Had a friend with that setup. If you said ‘Hi’ from his back or left side he would spin around looking for the source. I guess that is better than not hearing half the world.

CJ

11 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

This and what Pat said earlier about caffeine. I asked my GP and he said try cutting down on Sodium.

I forgot about sodium too. 

So, let’s see, cut down on;

Caffeine

Nicotine

Alcohol

Sodium

Sugar

Brother, tinnitus sure takes the fun out of lots of things. :lol:

You know what else would be fun? Finding Otto Communista and doing mean things to him…;)

You beat me to it. I was going to post the same question. I had tinnitus for 25 years now. I had to give up cowboy shooting for a few years because of it. I'm retired now and got back into cowboy shooting. I just live my life now and try not to worry about it. Worrying about it only makes it worse. I use double ear protection when I shoot wild bunch. 

I don't do that when I shoot cowboy. I do wear hearing aids and that calms it down a little. 

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Caffeine

Nicotine

Alcohol

Sodium

Sugar

Brother, tinnitus sure takes the gun out of lots of things. :lol:

EH’YUP! I couldn’t  drink coffee without a little sugar.  Now I just skip it altogether. :angry:

CJ

I have that too, esp. in my left ear. "Injured" it a few years ago shooting a short barrel auto shotgun with buckshot w/o hearing protection. The only thing I know to try is lipo-flavanoids (a vitamin sorta thing). Didn't seem to help mine but a lot of people seem to think it helps. Worth a try, not real expensive and won't hurt ya.

JHC RPh Lipo-Flavonoid Plus Ear Health Supplement for Tinnitus, 100 caplets ...

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Caffeine

Nicotine

Alcohol

Sodium

Sugar

Brother, tinnitus sure takes the fun out of lots of things. :lol:

You know what else would be fun? Finding Otto Communista and doing mean things to him…;)

Add Alieve and aspirin to that list. 

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I have that too, esp. in my left ear. "Injured" it a few years ago shooting a short barrel auto shotgun with buckshot w/o hearing protection. The only thing I know to try is lipo-flavanoids (a vitamin sorta thing). Didn't seem to help mine but a lot of people seem to think it helps. Worth a try, not real expensive and won't hurt ya.

JHC RPh Lipo-Flavonoid Plus Ear Health Supplement for Tinnitus, 100 caplets ...

I had not heard about this - a lot of conflicting info if you search Lipoflavonoids for tinnitus.

18 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I've had military grade tinnitus since 2003 when a mortar round almost killed me.  The ringing in the ears is a good trade for my life :)  But no, I haven't found any way to reduce it.

.....you orta give up on them mortars .......... they seem to be bad for your health ..........   :mellow:

Archived