SASS Wire Forum

Anyone following Women's College World Series Softball.

Those girls are good.  Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are both in the semi-finals now.  Four unrated teams made it to the tournament, which I think is great.  Texas was unrated coming in, but I think they have peaked at exactly the right time.  They sure could win it all.  By the numbers, ( combined pitching ERA is somewhere around 0.8, combined batting average is a bit over .3 if I remember right, they've scored more homeruns than their opponents total runs scored through the season.)  Oklahoma has one of the greatest teams ever assembled, but numbers don't mean much if you're having an off day.  Anything is possible.  Personally, I'm rooting for Oklahoma State.

5 hours ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

Those girls are good.  Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are both in the semi-finals now.  Four unrated teams made it to the tournament, which I think is great.  Texas was unrated coming in, but I think they have peaked at exactly the right time.  They sure could win it all.  By the numbers, ( combined pitching ERA is somewhere around 0.8, combined batting average is a bit over .3 if I remember right, they've scored more homeruns than their opponents total runs scored through the season.)  Oklahoma has one of the greatest teams ever assembled, but numbers don't mean much if you're having an off day.  Anything is possible.  Personally, I'm rooting for Oklahoma State.

At that level, Pulp, you can't have an off day. 

Heck, you can't have a bad inning. 

The difference between you playing next week and you watching it on TV might just come down to one swing of a bat or an outfielder taking a step in the wrong direction on their break.

And, if you haven't been following softball for a while, don't just discount a team because you've never heard of them.  Softball is like basketball, there's the usual suspects like UCLA, USC, Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida, LSU, etc... that you expect to see and then there's little schools that folks can't find on the map that have top flight programs.  They aren't giant killers- they stand toe to to and look them in the eye as equals. 

Louisiana (LaFayette), for example, is the biggest bunch of trained killers- year in, year out- to come out of the state since Jean Lafitte's crew.  They haven't won it all because they have had some bad timing.  They end up facing folks like a Jackie Trainor or Keilani Ricketts in their top form leading teams that are peaking at the right time.  They have ran into teams with multiple Team USA members,  Olympians and, later, professional stars on them.  Folks that follow the game don't wanna see them or teams like Hofstra or LA Tech on the schedule or on the roster at a tournament.  That would be like finding out your middle of the pack school lined up Gonzaga for their Men's Basketball opener.

I’m more of a wimmens college beach volley ball fan myself.:D

Archived