SASS Wire Forum

Red Dot sight on Browning Buckmark 22 pistol

Snakebite

I'm considering the purchase of Two Browning Buckmark 22 pistols for my wife and I to enjoy. If I do, I am considering installing Red Dot sights on them. I've never used any of the modern Red Dot sights. First, is there a Red Dot sight that would work on this pistol? Next, is it a good or bad idea to install one on the Buckmark? How effective are they? Also... I would like some input on which of the various Buckmark pistols to get.

tnx, Snakebite

Back when I shot Bullseye, folks pretty much all had red dots on many different pistols. They work well.

Can't help on which Buckmark, never shot one.

I have used red dots on on a S & W SW22 Victory for several years, and before that, a Ruger Mark III.

I have red dots on all my handguns. Have had great results with Burris Fast Fire 3 on my .22rf. Also have Trijicon RMR & Shield (both expensive) on others. Also have a couple of ones from SIG.

Holosun has a great reputation also.

Suggest you decide on a budget and compare costs to find one you like. I don't think you will go wrong with a Burris Fast Fire 3. $167 street price.

To mount it, the best option is to plan to get one of these:

https://outerimpact.com/shop/browning-buck-mark-m-r-a-red-dot-mount-adapter/

This will allow you to mount almost any brand of red dot, and it mounts them lower to the bore compared to using a picatinny rail mount, which is a good thing.

Should work with most Buckmark models, read the info on the website.

So with that, you can use the following red dots (and other, newer brands / models, if they have a pattern matching one that is listed, e.g. Swampfox):

Trijicon RMR/SRO
Doctor
Insight MRDS
Eotech MRDS
Leupold Delta Point
Leupold Delta Point Pro
Vortex Razor
Vortex Viper
Vortex Venom
Burris Fast Fire 2 & 3
CMORE RTS & STS
Sig ROMEO 3
Shield RMS (requires a purchase of these screws)
Holosun 507c/407c V1 versions (requires a purchase of 6-40 Screws For Holosun V1 Red Dot)
Holosun 507c/407c V2 and X2 versions
UTG Reflex Micro Dot
TruGlo Tru-Tec
Sig Romeo 3
Sig Romeo 3 Max
Sig Romeo 3 XL
Crimson Trace CTS-1250
Springfield Hex Dragonfly (must also use OEM provided spacer plate)
Bushnell RXS-100 and 250

TNX Hedley. Right now I have a nice 1941 Colt Woodsman that I traded a bicycle for a little over 50 yrs ago.  It's a great shooting gun, but I'm wanting a new one....... just because!

I popped in to say that if you have astigmatism you may find the red dot blobs out on you when you turn up the intensity.

I learned this after installing red dot sights on a couple of my long guns. If I turn the dot to it's lower settings at an indoor range it isn't so bad but outdoors when I  turn the intensity up the dot blobs out. One day I will have to invest in green dot sights. They apparently do not have this issue.

Red dots and corrective lenses don't usually work well together. If I wear my glasses the cause the dot to look more like a twinkling star. If I wear my shooting glasses which do not have corrective lenses the dots stay sharp.

I like Vortex red dots as they will last hundreds of hours on one battery and they have an auto on/off feature.  Some brands of red dot sights burn through a battery in only a few hours of continious use.

Geeze! You would think that I was purchasing a House, or even a new Truck. I just can't make up my mind to to Jump on a Browning Buck Mark pistol. I just can't believe the number of variations that they have for this gun, and I'm unable to see much difference in many of them. Grips differ, some barrels are round and some are flat on the sides. Some have straight sights and some fiber optics. Some Black, some SS. yata, yata.......... The price swing from low end to top is $400 for what seems to be virtually the same guns, just different garnish. Then, I angonize over which sight to get... Red, Green, Reflex, Tube, Open, MOA, Holistic, and type of mount.... this is just all too much. I was going to head over to the Sportsman's Outhouse after Church and jump on one, but now I'm getting cold feet. DANG! :blink:

I use a red dot on my High Standard .22 and it works well. First you will have to mount it base on the barrel because it is fixed and doesn't move. You can sight it in just like a regular scope. I used to wear contacts (before it got my eye corrected with cataract surgery) and had no problems with the red dot. It also takes away the issue of focusing on the objects at once.....rear sight, front sight and target. Makes it a lot easier on "old eyes".

Go for it!!!

On 6/3/2022 at 3:44 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I popped in to say that if you have astigmatism you may find the red dot blobs out on you when you turn up the intensity.

I learned this after installing red dot sights on a couple of my long guns. If I turn the dot to it's lower settings at an indoor range it isn't so bad but outdoors when I  turn the intensity up the dot blobs out. One day I will have to invest in green dot sights. They apparently do not have this issue.

I also have astigmatism. I have several aimpoints and agree that if I turn them up and look at the dot it is starry/blurry. So don't look at the dot, focus both eyes on the target and you will see the dot clearly, at least I do.

Buck Mark 5.5 Field

Buddy has this Buck Mark Field 5.5.  The rail runs the entire length of the barrel. Nice gun. For Sh@ts and Giggles, we took an old Bushnell TRS-25 and slapped it on top. Looked stupid, but worked amazingly well. So much so that I got a steak dinner for that ol' sight.

I've wanted a Buck Mark for a long time - just never got a Round Tuit.  I'd appreciate a range report! 

+1 for the Holsun products.  I have Holosun enclosed reflex & enclosed red dot sights.  Both are on AR-15 uppers.  I have a SeaAll* on a Glock 19 & AR-15 upper.  I have a Trijicon MRO on a Glock 20.  The 1st red dot I got was a Tosco in 1988 that I installed on a S&W model 66.  I also have a Bushnell hologrphic sight I installed on a Remington 1100 in 1995.  I bought it because I could barely make out the beads on the barrel a sunup.  I like the circle with center dot for wing shooting.

*A SeaAll sight is non-electronic.  It is powered by tritium and ambient light like Trijicon ACOG's.  Because the G19 has a grip angle that isn't natural pointing for me it isn't any faster than iron sights.  Mounted near the muzzle end of an AR-15 upper with pic rail hand guard it is very fast.  The closer to the muzzle the better it works for me.

I bought this TX22 Taurus a few days ago. It came with a Grace green dot. I have optics on an AR and a Mini 14 but never had any on a pistol.
Much to my surprise I was dinging 3” swingers at 25 yards. I’m a fan.

371C18C3-AD4E-49D4-9BE8-8D4CA5F084CE.jpeg

87B73944-90E2-4ADB-A8F4-C38BFD49A279.jpeg

17 hours ago, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

I'd appreciate a range report! 

Have 10 day waiting period here in Ca. I did order a mount and a cheap Bushnel Red Dot to see if I like it. If so, then I'll see if spending the money for a so-called quality Red Dot will be worth the expense to me.

Biggest differences that I have observed between cheap red dots and better ones is:

Cheap ones can't turn up the dot bright enough to see it in full sunlight.

Cheap ones have a much shorter battery life and the interior electronics lifespan is questionable.

Cheap ones don't have reliable windage / elevation adjustments - not repeatable and don't stay where adjusted.

When you shoot monthly steel matches that use 150-200 rounds an event, you start to notice what brands stay working month after month... 

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr, SASS #14478 Life said:

Biggest differences that I have observed between cheap red dots and better ones is:

Cheap ones can't turn up the dot bright enough to see it in full sunlight.

Cheap ones have a much shorter battery life and the interior electronics lifespan is questionable.

Cheap ones don't have reliable windage / elevation adjustments - not repeatable and don't stay where adjusted.

When you shoot monthly steel matches that use 150-200 rounds an event, you start to notice what brands stay working month after month... 

I decided to give it a try after watching this video. A Review of the Cheapest Pistol Red Dot: Bushnell RXS-100 -The Firearm Blog

I shoot red dots on my .22 and a S & W K38. I bought cheap Bushnells and the one on the .38 lasted about a year. The one on the .22 still works and I put it on another gun, a .22 also. The cheap ones, recoil eventually gets to the. 

After reading and watching a video about the Outer Impact replacement back strap made for the Buck Mark, I decided to go with it. It is drilled and tapped to supply a direct mount for most any Red Dot on the market. Using it removes the need to have a Picatinny Rail or even a mount on the sight. By directly mounting the sight to the backstrap, it cuts the hight of the sight above the barrel in half, which IMO is a good thing.  

15 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr, SASS #14478 Life said:

Well damn, I hadn't heard about that one. Nice price.

I'll be really curious to hear about your experience with 

I will be able to pick up my Buckmark next Tuesday. The Red Dot and Back Strap are out for delivery today. Maybe I can get some feed back posted by the end of next week. Kinda crazy, with a safe full of fine guns that I very rarely shoot any more, I'm happy to be a little excited to go out and just do some shooting other than playing the game.

By the way... Nobody at the store told me when I purchased my new Browning, but I was looking at the Browning web site and they have a rebate program going on right now on the purchase of any new Browning gun. Amounts vary, and the time is limited. I signed up on line, and got confirmation and expect to receive a check within the next 3 weeks. What the heck.... I'll take it. 

Snakebite

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Red Dot mounted. With the listed mount it was very quick and easy. I decided to remove the front sight too. Sight in was the easiest I've ever experienced. Two shots from a rest at 7 yds. Both were very high windage was a little to the left. Made a two turn adjustment down, a tad to the right and both shots were in the center. Moved out to 25 yds. Again it was high. After 5 shots I had it down to the center and a couple more the windage was good. In to 15 yds. Again did some minor adjustment until 5 shot groups were a ragged hole. Now I started off hand and was constantly low, so did some more adjusting. Again to the rest from 7 to 25 yrds. Things were pretty much all in the Black. Did some off hand plinking and was pleased. HOWEVER, I am not as steady as I use to be. A 4 moa dot is too small for the pistol, especially if shooting offhand. I'll get a much larger moa dot and replace this one. I've never used a Red Dot before so can't compare, but it was very easy to use inthe bright sun, dot was just too small to suit me.

So tell me the truth, what size five shot group is considered acceptable shooting a 22 LR pistol, standing, two hand hold, no rest, at 15 yds? (Of course I'm using the Buckmark and the Red Dot.)   

Here are 3 targets shot with my High Standard with a Red Dot. Shot at 50', offhand and 2 handed. I used Aguila Match Pistol ammo. I use standard velocity ammo and match grade when I can find it. 

IMG_1297.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

Archived