SASS Wire Forum

Would you buy a board game at a yard sale

Alpo

Walking the dog last week and I passed this garbage can. So full to overflowing that the lid would not go down on it. And I glanced in as I go by. There is a Scrabble game. And as I'm walking down the street I idly wondered if all the tiles were there.

That got me thinking about used board games. All the letters in the Scrabble game? All the money in the Monopoly game? All the little balls in the Chinese checker game?

And if you bought a used game at the yard sale and took it home and found out it wasn't all there, whacha gonna do? :(

I had never considered this before, and while I had bought children's books at yard sales I had never bought games or toys. Seems like it would be a bad plan.

How much? 50¢? A buck? Why not?

a23-1516539088-5668.thumb.jpg.e7583ff4c34d4c4f0704d1c90b139379.jpgThink about it when we are in Goodwill and 500 and 1,000 piece puzzles are on sale. :blink:

When we were kids, we used to buy all the puzzles and games and comic books we could find at yard sales.  a dime for an old puzzle or a quarter for a game.  Sometimes the puzzles were missing one or two pieces, but they were still fun to put the other 998 pieces together.  If the games were missing "money",  dice or other pieces, we would borrow them from other games.

My first thought when seeing a board game is how old is it and can I flip it on eBay during the Christmas madness. In fact, that is usually on my mind no matter what I see.

Scrabble tiles, Monopoly money/tokens/Chance & CC cards, Chinese marbles and most other game pieces are readily available on eBay and other sites. My gal has made some extra bucks buying different games in the thrift stores and reselling the "parts" on eBay. She bought a special edition Monopoly game that was still plastic wrapped for a dollar one time. Sold it on eBay for $75.

To answer the question, yes I would and have bought board games  at yard sales, thrift stores and dug them out of the garbage.

They have a community yard sale here once a year. Wife asked me to come along this past last year. At one place an older couple was selling a huge amount of old stuff, books, comics, etc. Under a pile of old comics, some dated from the 40s and 50s, I saw a blue outline of a game or puzzle box. Turned out it was a almost Mint Captain Video Game, all the pieces there and not a scuff mark or tear in the box. There was no sticker on it so asked what he was asking for it. Said a couple bucks, so I bought it.

This past April I decided I don't collect these, and never play with them. I just vaguely remember the show and reason I bought it. Put it on E Bay with a 2.00 opening bid. Well when it finally sold, got 173.77 for it.

We used to buy stuff like that at rummage sales.  Scrabble missing a tile or two?  Why worry?  A little Monopoly money missing?  Don't worry about it.  A checkers set missing a few checkers?  Paint a couple of washers.  Kids are going to lose the pieces anyway.

Archived