SASS Wire Forum

Plainsman Match Info for 2022 Land Run / Come on out and join the fun

2022 LAND RUN

SASS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

PLAINSMAN MINI-MATCH

For all of those who are attending 2022 LAND RUN SASS National Championship and are interested in shooting or watching the Plainsman mini-match here is an update on how to sign up, when it’s going to happen and what to expect.      

If you have not already signed up to shoot Plainsman but would like to,  

Please contact Missouri Mae at LandRun@OKCgunclub.org  and let her know what category you would like to shoot. 

We currently have 25 people signed up and well,  that is just not enough!

We would hate for you to miss out on all the fun we are going to have so here’s your chance and it’s only $10.00!

As of right now we will be awarding 1st thru 3rd for the following categories.  Traditional, Modern and Ladies Modern.  We are open to adding additional categories if we get more people signed up. Please contact me or consult the SASS Rule Book if you have any questions regarding what category your rifle will qualify you for.

The plainsman match will be four stages on Tuesday Oct. 11 at 12:00 noon. The Round Count will be approximately 40 Pistol / 35 Rifle / 20+ Shotgun.  Rifle targets will be set at 40 yards or less.

If you have never seen or participated in Plainsman, this is your chance to check it out firsthand. If you like Black Powder, I guarantee that you’ll love it.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me via FB Messenger or  chili_pepper917@hotmail.com

Best regards,

Chili Pepper Pete / L11917

Plainsman Match Director

• 2 weeks later...

I’m in! Decisions decisions….do I bring trapdoor & shoot traditional or Handi-rifle with ejector & shoot Modern?????

(leaning towards the Trapdoor, it’s just more fun to shoot!) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to sound like the fool but....

What is a "Plainsman" match?

Trapdoors and such make it sound interesting...

Asa

Yes, inquiring minds want to know. More details please.

It needs to be pointed out that full house BP 45-70 loads are not needed and can damage the targets. 40 grains of BP is plenty of powder. I know several shooters that use a .457 round ball in their 45-70 rounds. Seating the ball just past center and lightly crimping the case mouth to keep it from coming out. More than accurate enough for Plainsman distances.

I'll be there watching but won't be participating.  I plan to arrive at the range that day right around noon.

I use a Miroku 1885 in 45 Colt... more than adequate for Plainsmen distances.

I’ll be using a H&R trapdoor officers model. I tried a 105 grain “button Bullet”. Couldn’t  hit a Buffalo if one swallowed me whole ! I use a 305 grn bear creek Bullet & APP. 

Plainsman is fun. And a couple of matches a year cure me if the capgun fever!  I do enjoy shooting the Trapdoor. 

A Plainsman match is not so much a match as a social event where we all get to see Sharps, Trapdoors, Rolling Blocks, 1885 Low Walls and yes, Handi-Rifles shoot along with every cap gun imaginable.  I will probably shoot my baby rolling block at this event.  I've been shooting a 45-70 with reduced loads all year.  It's time to pull the baby rolling block out of the safe for one match.

4 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

A Plainsman match is not so much a match as a social event where we all get to see Sharps, Trapdoors, Rolling Blocks, 1885 Low Walls and yes, Handi-Rifles shoot along with every cap gun imaginable.  I will probably shoot my baby rolling block at this event.  I've been shooting a 45-70 with reduced loads all year.  It's time to pull the baby rolling block out of the safe for one match.

@Clueless Bob shoots an original Burnside carbine.

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

@Clueless Bob shoots an original Burnside carbine.

Unless he is shooting his Maynard. And what’s even better, he will let you shoot them after the match. Really neat old rifles. 
the Burnside has a really unusual cartridge. Looks like an ice cream cone!

98968E84-CD57-470C-9D50-90B63B7E8F28.jpeg

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Will Kane said:

I"ve been wondering if any more folks signed up.

Some of us would but there's that 4 letter word...

Work.

:angry:

• 2 weeks later...

I think their should be a new category. Plainsman without pistols!!!  I love shooting the trapdoor, but those cap guns…ugh!

But, thanks Chili Pepper Pete, it was a lot of fun. I appreciate your running the posse. And I’ll double my previous offer for that hat!

Lots of fun!

it took a while with one large posse, but it made it even more enjoyable. I wasn’t in a hurry, I came here to be with friends, make some new ones, and have fun shooting.

Thanks all. (Especially Chilli Pepper Pete and Edward RS Canby)

On 6/3/2022 at 10:38 PM, Chili Pepper Pete 11917 said:

2022 LAND RUN

SASS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

PLAINSMAN MINI-MATCH

For all of those who are attending 2022 LAND RUN SASS National Championship and are interested in shooting or watching the Plainsman mini-match here is an update on how to sign up, when it’s going to happen and what to expect.      

If you have not already signed up to shoot Plainsman but would like to,  

Please contact Missouri Mae at LandRun@OKCgunclub.org  and let her know what category you would like to shoot. 

We currently have 25 people signed up and well,  that is just not enough!

We would hate for you to miss out on all the fun we are going to have so here’s your chance and it’s only $10.00!

As of right now we will be awarding 1st thru 3rd for the following categories.  Traditional, Modern and Ladies Modern.  We are open to adding additional categories if we get more people signed up. Please contact me or consult the SASS Rule Book if you have any questions regarding what category your rifle will qualify you for.

The plainsman match will be four stages on Tuesday Oct. 11 at 12:00 noon. The Round Count will be approximately 40 Pistol / 35 Rifle / 20+ Shotgun.  Rifle targets will be set at 40 yards or less.

If you have never seen or participated in Plainsman, this is your chance to check it out firsthand. If you like Black Powder, I guarantee that you’ll love it.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me via FB Messenger or  chili_pepper917@hotmail.com

Best regards,

Chili Pepper Pete / L11917

Plainsman Match Director

Hi Chili Pepper, what categories did you run and how did you you distinquish between them.

Thank you to all the shooters that came out Tuesday,  I hope you all had a good time,   I sure did !!!    I also really appreciate all the help running the Plainsman posse,  I thought things ran smooth and efficient with such a big group and you guys made it easy for me.   

If any of you have any thoughts or suggestions for next time I’d love to hear them,  drop me a PM or share them on here.

Thank you all again,

Chili

Thank YOU, for being a great PM, Chili.    It was great to meet you and shoot with you and our fellow Plainsman shooters. I’m already looking forward to next year’s side match.

Thanks again for putting this together for us.  Can you get them to post all the scores from the Plainsman so we can all see how we compaired to all the others having fun with us?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived