SASS Wire Forum

Question: Looking To Visit Maine This Fall

Calamity Kris

Considering the prices of everything right now, especially in Cali, we have decided not to go back home this fall.  Instead, we are talking about taking a trip to Maine.  {I have a couple of first class passes I need to use before the end of October.)  

We are thinking about flying in to Bangor then renting a small motor home (class C or van conversion) and driving from place to place.  Another thought was renting an RV parked at a campsite somewhere like Bar Harbor and driving around from there.  I'm looking at a number of Maine tourist sites as well as travel sites.  Lots of info to sift through.

What will the weather be like in mid-October?  Will it be too cold to be on the beach?  Uno wants to see the Maritime Museum.  Is there any place else we should go?

Thank you very much.

New England is full of great historic sites nearly every coastal town has a maritime museum and there are numerous Rev War sites. 

The states are so tiny you can visit several in a day.

And yes, it’s too dang cold to go to the beach in October. Unless you have a wetsuit and are diving for Lobsta. ;)

Yeah, too chill for the beach, often rainy.  The states are small but Maine always seems to be huge, mostly because of the non interstates.  You will be too late for leaf peeping but it is the Pine Tree State.

Bahh Hahbah is nice.

The ocean never gets warm anyway.

A tourist said to a shopkeeper, “people sure do talk funny around here.” Shopkeeper replied, “Ayup, but most of them go home ‘bout Labah Day.”

22 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

Considering the prices of everything right now, especially in Cali, we have decided not to go back home this fall.  Instead, we are talking about taking a trip to Maine.  {I have a couple of first class passes I need to use before the end of October.)  

We are thinking about flying in to Bangor then renting a small motor home (class C or van conversion) and driving from place to place.  Another thought was renting an RV parked at a campsite somewhere like Bar Harbor and driving around from there.  I'm looking at a number of Maine tourist sites as well as travel sites.  Lots of info to sift through.

What will the weather be like in mid-October?  Will it be too cold to be on the beach?  Uno wants to see the Maritime Museum.  Is there any place else we should go?

Thank you very much.

You may want to visit the Kittery Trading Post - great selection of guns, and all things outdoors.  

https://www.kitterytradingpost.com

LL

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The changing of the leaves is why we're planning on going in October.  According to the Maine tourism bureau, peak season is somewhere between October 1 and 17, depending on which zone we're in, coastal, mountain, inland etc.

35 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

And LLBean.

Yes we want to visit LL Bean as well.  

51 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

The changing of the leaves is why we're planning on going in October.  According to the Maine tourism bureau, peak season is somewhere between October 1 and 17, depending on which zone we're in, coastal, mountain, inland etc.

Yes we want to visit LL Bean as well.  

I hate to say it, but Bean has become 'gentrified"; nothing gun related; lots of high dollar non-hunting clothing; fancy dog    beds and lots of candles and potpourri.  Not the Bean of old.

LL

as much as that can be a chilly time there i cant think you would have a bad time - fresh lobster , turning leaves , good people - dont get any better than that , the museum will be comfortable 

portlandheadlight.com.   One of the nicest lighthouse's in Maine. This is what most visitors want to see when are in the area. Bus tour companies always stop there during leaf peeper season in the fall.

B.P.

Check out "Owls Head" museum as well. It may be chilly, but fall in New England is beautiful.

Kittery Trading Post is a great place.  Many many outdoorsy things and a huge gun inventory. You can drool over it at ktp.com.  They take many things in trade. Last time I visited, no ugly guns, no 40s&w, no air guns, too many already in stock.

and for us in NH, they drive a gun over the border so we can buy tax free, or just a handgun.

Thanks for all the great info.  I'm checking into a couple of Inns or B & Bs that have some great rates during that season.  

If you're going to come that far, come up a little farther to Canada.

(Bring your parka or buy one. My Florida partners find it a wee bit chilly, even before it get cold here and we have Snow Flies.

Stuff to do in southern Maine

Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad - 49 Thames Street, Portland, Maine

The Eastern Trail - A walking trail on old railroad right of way about 6 miles long

Seashore Trolley Museum - 195 Log cabin road, Kennebunkport, Maine

List of cowboy clubs in New England (with shoot dates) Northeastcas.com 

Archived