SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Outlaws

ORNERY OAF

Parts and pardettes,

I recently got a couple of the 1875 outlaws in 45 colt. Besides the cylinders being a tad short for round nose bullets, I have a question for anyone who shoots these. I shoot Pale Rider Gunfighter class. Incase ya don't know, 250g bullets smashed in darn near a full case of the holy black. Big boom, fire and smoke...will a steady of diet beat these up? My rugers eat them like candy and ask for more. Even my 44-40 open tops do ok...but the 45 colts have bigger bullets and more powder..what sayeth the rogues gallery???

13 hours ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Parts and pardettes,

I recently got a couple of the 1875 outlaws in 45 colt. Besides the cylinders being a tad short for round nose bullets, I have a question for anyone who shoots these. I shoot Pale Rider Gunfighter class. Incase ya don't know, 250g bullets smashed in darn near a full case of the holy black. Big boom, fire and smoke...will a steady of diet beat these up? My rugers eat them like candy and ask for more. Even my 44-40 open tops do ok...but the 45 colts have bigger bullets and more powder..what sayeth the rogues gallery???

Order extra hand springs

3 hours ago, WOODFOX , sass#34179 said:

Order extra hand springs

Sounds like a good idea, well I'm gonna try them. Just wish they had a tad longer cylinders...makes me sink the 250rns just a tad deeper

1 hour ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Sounds like a good idea, well I'm gonna try them. Just wish they had a tad longer cylinders...makes me sink the 250rns just a tad deeper

The hand springs only break  when your at a match , that's why i have 3  75's

IMG_0837.jpeg

1 hour ago, ORNERY OAF said:

What is the OAL of your ammo?

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

What is the OAL of your ammo?

I was wondering that myself.  The '75 cylinder is the same length as Colts, or close to it.  Ammo that is too long won't feed in a toggle link rifle either. 

PLUS ONE for Pettifogger

PLUS ONE for Abilene

Sounds suspiciously like an over-loaded, over-compressed case with the bullet loaded "long."  I also suspect a "round nose" results in an "over-length bullet as opposed to a RNFP.

I have a pair that I got in 2004. I’ve shot nearly everything in the way of ammunition through them that you can imagine.  One of my favorite loads is 41gr of FFFg and a 250gr RNFP.  Ya’ hafta tamp the powder and then dump in a little more before seating a bullet.  I’ve had PRGFs fire one round out of my pistols and immediately ground them.

No problems with the guns.  In all that time, I have broken one hand spring.  I disassembled the gun between rounds, removed the broken piece of spring from the pawl, put the remaining portion of the spring back in the pawl and bent it to take up the slack and reinstalled it all in the gun.  It’s sill working fine six years later.

Those revolvers are ready for a re-blue and a good tuneup, but they still work just fine.  Maybe I will put new hand springs in ‘em when I freshen ‘em up this time.

They’re really great for those who have big hands!!  Lots of room between the front of the grip and the back of the trigger guard.  The grips are longer than Colts and Rugers too.

On 6/3/2022 at 4:32 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE for Pettifogger

PLUS ONE for Abilene

Sounds suspiciously like an over-loaded, over-compressed case with the bullet loaded "long."  I also suspect a "round nose" results in an "over-length bullet as opposed to a RNFP.

Measured ammo and cylinders, results surprised me.........................

Cylinder length

ruger omv(what i'm used to) 1.7in

58 new army conversion 1.61

1871 open top 1.61

i don't have an original colt so i don't know, but i imagine 1.6ish

and.

outlaw 1.56

so yes the outlaw is shorter. 

Lyman stated OAL 1.6 on 45 colt

my RNFP 255s are 1.55 so they can fit in the shorter guns, my round nose bullets are 1.63, they fit in the rugers.

so no, they are not over compressed(over compressed wastes powder with no additional benefits) 

To add to your numbers a New Model Vaquero is 1.585.  A Pietta GWII is 1.610.  Colt looks to be 1.608.  1.600 is listed as Max OAL but I have never seen a factory loaded round that length.  Your RNFP loads are 1.55 and that is about what factory loaded ammo seems to be loaded to +/- a few thousands but not 1.600 and certainly not 1.63.  1.63 is way to long for Uberti and Miroku .45 Winchester 66s and 73s.

i only use 45 colt in revolvers, my rifles are all 44-40........thanks for the info on the new vaqueros, i had heard they went closer to the colt spec

Archived