SASS Wire Forum

Site Font Change

bgavin

This entire site has a font change this morning, and for the worse.

It is unreadable in Firefox, and slightly better in Chrome.
No other sites are showing this symptom.
No browser or system changes or updates have been done.

I use Firefox & Edge.  I am using Firefox to access SASSNET right now.  No issues viewing with Firefox or Edge.  I will not use Chrome since it is evil.  Quit using it when I noticed I lost a 3rd of my monitor's real estate to directed adds.

My Android phone uses Chrome and I see no difference.

Indeed.
Having spent my entire career in the computer business, I readily agree.

However, if it is "the computer" the problem would be pervasive across multiple web sites.
It is not.

If it was browser specific, a different browser would show a difference.
There is none.

If it was computer specific, a brand new Win10 pro computer would show the difference.
It does not.
I have a brand new one on the bench right now, it Win10 + Edge is just as hard to read on a new machine and new monitor.

This leads me to believe the SASS site has changed a font.
For some reason, so many authors choose to use light gray on white, which has generated complaints across the board for a decade or more.

The screen shot below is from the same browser and same monitor.
Only the web site is different (SASS vs Ruger)

light.font.jpb.jpg

4 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Clear your cache and hard reload. Sounds like the cached css file may have an issue. 

Sorry, I will say again:  it is not confined to a specific computer.
Brand new Win10 Pro, new monitor, fresh build from Dell.
Identical problem with fonts.

Did you see the screen shot?

[ edit ]
Hard reset, full cache clear, same problem.

It appears to be a font change peculiar to browsers on Windows desktop computers with specific web sites (like this one).
My iphone displays this page correctly.

I've tried three browsers, three monitors and two different computers, one as Win7 the other as brand new machine with Win10.
The common denominator is all being windows desktop computers.

The fix:  Firefox allows the browser to disallow the individual web site to choose the fonts.
About Firefox | General Tab | Language and Appearance | Advanced
"Uncheck" the box for "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of your selections above"

This confirms my suspicion the font is website specific, and not a computer, css or other issue.

No problem here, I use Safari for my I phone and Google Chrome on my desk top I Mac.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

It appears to be a font change peculiar to browsers on Windows desktop computers with specific web sites (like this one).
My iphone displays this page correctly.

I've tried three browsers, three monitors and two different computers, one as Win7 the other as brand new machine with Win10.
The common denominator is all being windows desktop computers.

The fix:  Firefox allows the browser to disallow the individual web site to choose the fonts.
About Firefox | General Tab | Language and Appearance | Advanced
"Uncheck" the box for "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of your selections above"

This confirms my suspicion the font is website specific, and not a computer, css or other issue.

This ^^^^^ worked, thanks bgavin.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

I would use caution unchecking that setting.  It could impact your experience on other sites as some icons are custom fonts.

Totes

I have a choice:  uncheck and use SASS, or leave checked and abandon SASS.

This is a typical developer problem, and this particular problem has been around a very long time.
Like many of the developer problems I've seen over my long career, it is a result of poor testing.

I would not be surprised if this SASS site is developed on a Mac, and not getting much testing on Windows platforms.
In the commercial world, I've seen this Mac bias among the fan boys who turn a blind eye to cross-platform development if it includes Windows.

The root cause of the problem on this site appears to be the Montserrat font (Google) in use here.
It is known to cause the exact symptom of light print in Firefox and Windows.
https://github.com/vercel/next.js/issues/36986

All of the above is just tourist information, as the resolution for this web site rests with the developer of this web site.
All we can do on the user end is the above work-around.

There are IT issues at SASS, the fact that they know that this website does not work correctly (when changing passwords, etc.) with GMail is a major issue since a large percentage of the user base uses GMail.

Just FYI, my PC with Win.10 and Firefox looks normal, as does my phone with Chrome.

ACTUALLY, sounds like the problem is a "Windows OS" problem.  Sounds like the "Windows" platform is missing some of it's "plat." Can't see blaming the web site because Windows just might be facakada?? 

The Montserrat (google) font is used on this web site.
This font is optional and not universally applied.
A very few sites have the problem, most other sites do not.

Those not having this font can download it, if their default font handler (mine) is causing a problem.
Unzip to a folder, then right-click on each of the two .TTF files, one at a time.
This will install each file into your system fonts.

Those Windows users who are not experiencing the problem can check their installed font list to see if these are already installed.

Montserrat font download

Archived