SASS Wire Forum

Concealed carry question

I prefer a steel gun in a small carry piece. I have a Sig p938. 
But the recoil in a small 9mm gun will always be substantial.

I have an LCP for CCW. When I first took it to the range, I made it about 2 1/2 magazines before I had to stop. But I don't really think that I will get into that much of an extended gunfight. If I do, I've already done something REALLY wrong. But if I have to use it, I will. Don't worry about it too much. It's meant to be carried a lot and shot a little. 

I have carried a Kimber Tactical II .45 Commander daily for decades. excellent in every way, I actually bought a second.  I carry with a clipdraw, secure and very low signature.  They don't make that exact model anymore, but produce similar.  The perceived recoil is considerably less than some of friends tiny nines I've shot while using a cartridge "that begins with a 4." A spare 8 round magazine doesn't add much to the load - 17 rounds total.

19 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

But I don't really think that I will get into that much of an extended gunfight. If I do, I've already done something REALLY wrong.

BINGO!   The most likely scenario in which that would happen is a home invasion, in which case it buys you time to get to something better.

26 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

BINGO!   The most likely scenario in which that would happen is a home invasion, in which case it buys you time to get to something better.

If a home invasion is occuring and we get scared we can just go out on the back porch and fire off a couple rounds from a double barrel shotgun into the air. Or so we're told. :blink:

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I prefer a steel gun in a small carry piece. I have a Sig p938. 
But the recoil in a small 9mm gun will always be substantial.

I have the same gun - great for concealment; especially in a belly band.  Muzzle flip is substantial, but you can train yourself to deal with it. 

I had to modify my trigger.  The sharp serrated tip of it pinched and cut my index finger if I fired more than a few rds.  I got tired of cleaning blood out of the serrations.  A bit of silicone solved it. 

35 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

If a home invasion is occuring and we get scared we can just go out on the back porch and fire off a couple rounds from a double barrel shotgun into the air. Or so we're told. :blink:

Personally, I'd rather keep things on the level.

1 hour ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

I purchased a Ruger LCR 380 for concealed carry..

It kicks (recoils) real hard...

Considering the new  Ruger 9mm .. the real small one..

Less kick/recoil?

Suggestions?

Thanks..

Just tell the bad guys your the world famous Cowboy Rance, all you will need is a pen to sign autographs. 
S&W pro series mod 60 makes a nice carry. All steel, 3” 38-357. Replaced grip with Hogue, +p 38 is very manageable, 357 not so much. 64B91828-B931-466E-9927-1483C36C86F8.jpeg.34af065e6f2d5dd75ee68b008f3b0614.jpeg

My LCP 380 Max is a handful, but it fits in my hip pocket easily.  I'll trade that for some stiff recoil any day.  

There is no free lunch.  You don't get lesser weight, or more power, without more recoil.  

I ditched my small guns and went to a Glock 19. Carries and conceals quite well. Easy to shoot well and on board capacity is reassuring.

@Rance - SASS # 54090 look into extended magazines or magazine extensions. I had a Kel-Tek P3AT and it was a painful gun to fire. I got mag extensions for it and that helped, but I still ended up selling it because the thing just kept pinching my trigger finger.

You do realize that according to Biden if you use a “high caliber 9mm” then you are “trying to rip somebody’s lung out”.

I use to carry a 380 and it was easy to conceal but when I took it to the range for practice it would beat me up.  I now carry a Ruger EC9s 9mm.  I shoot the same reduced charge target loads I shoot for bull’s-eye and when I practice with it, it does not beat me up like the 380 did. It is also easy to conceal in a pocket holster.  I rarely go anywhere with out it and feel like I forgot something when I have go to places like the VA or a city building but at least there, there are armed police to protect me

My primary carry gun is a Taurus PT738 that required some smithing to be reliable.  I added a laser to improve sighting.  It weights 13.0 OZ loaded with 7 380ACP hollow points.  It has a stiff recoil that I have to manage with 1 1/2 fingers around the grip.  If you wrap your weak hand around your strong hand the slide will slice a chunk of meat out of your hand.  Been There Done That!  I shoot it either one handed or wrap my weak hand around the bottom of my strong hand.  I shoot 4-5 magazines to practice before my strong hand palm has had enough.

5 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I don’t carry concealed very often, but when I do it’s my S&W Shield in “lung blowing” 9mm.  Seems for me a good compromise between weight, size, and control ability.  

;)

I had the Kel-Tec P32. bought it for those extremely rare occasions where I needed something very small.   Had it for years until I tried a friend's polymer framed Kahr P380, which had less recoil than the Kel-Tec (which the Ruger is based on).  Traded the Kel-tec and some other guns for the Kahr P380 within a week.

I currently own the Kahr P380, PM9 & P45.   I don't find the felt recoil in the hand to be an issue with the Kahr P380 or PM9.  Both have the muzzle flip you would expect out of such a small and light gun, but firing 50 -100 rounds at time (falling plate matches with "back up" guns) with either gun isn't painful.   The P45 does have felt recoil in the hand and some muzzle flip, a friend who owns a Officer's Model 1911 .45 said the recoil of the two guns felt about the same, although the Kahr is lighter.  I wouldn't call it painful, but the P45 is not a gun that I would want to put 100 rounds through at once.

I don't think I have had a jam with any of my Kahr's that wasn't due to out of spec ammo.  The DAO trigger is smooth and about 7 1/2 pounds.

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I don’t carry concealed very often, but when I do it’s my S&W Shield in “lung blowing” 9mm.  Seems for me a good compromise between weight, size, and control ability.  

Very tempted to start asking for “LB9mm ammo” when I am buying ammo. :lol:

Rance, 

Do you mean the LCP .380 (not a LCR - I have one of those too)?  My wife wanted a LCP for her carry gun.  After firing one round, she decided it was not for her.  She finally chose a Ruger SP 101 .357 revolver. She shoots it well and carries it in her gun purse,  I kept the LCP.  I will drop it in my sweatpants pocket when I go to the gym, but my everyday carry gun is a Glock 26 with a Glock 19 mag in it.

The Glock will drop into my front pocket (I do use a pocket holster) in my shorts or jeans. It's very comfortable to carry and shoots like a dream.  I also have a Glock 43X which is a little flatter in my pocket, but has a little more felt recoil.  I use a Saf-T-Blok trigger block on both Glocks.  Saf-T-Blok | Glock Trigger Safety (ccwbreakaways.com)

I also have the Ruger EC9s, to me, it does have less felt recoil than the Ruger LCP .380, but I like my Glocks so much better that I never carry the Ruger 9mm.  I do like the size of the Ruger EC9s and it does have a safety, which I like for pocket carry.

4 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I have an LCP for CCW. When I first took it to the range, I made it about 2 1/2 magazines before I had to stop. But I don't really think that I will get into that much of an extended gunfight. If I do, I've already done something REALLY wrong. But if I have to use it, I will. Don't worry about it too much. It's meant to be carried a lot and shot a little. 

I put a Hogue grip sleeve on my LCP and the difference was night and day. Often the issue isn't necessarily the size and lightness of the firearm, but the shape of the grip digging into your hand. I still wouldn't want to run a case of ammo through it, but with the sleeve I can actually shoot 100 rounds through it without issue.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I put a Hogue grip sleeve on my LCP and the difference was night and day. Often the issue isn't necessarily the size and lightness of the firearm, but the shape of the grip digging into your hand. I still wouldn't want to run a case of ammo through it, but with the sleeve I can actually shoot 100 rounds through it without issue.

Got that grip on mine, makes a big difference. Still bites a tad though. Probably wouldn't notice in an encounter that I hope I never have.

I carry mine in a sticky holster in my pocket. Not quick to present, but again hope not to need it quick.

For a comfortable shooter in 9 mm, the Ruger Max 9 and Shield Plus or  original Shield single stacks fill the bill. The Hellcat is a bit further behind those in terms of comfort. With a mag through those and the S&W CSX, the Max 9 and Shield Plus had the best accuracy, then the Hellcat and the CSX was abysmal. I'm going to put more ammo down range to see how the accuracy improves. 

For a comfortable .380, try an LCP II or a Springfield 911.

For a .380. I much prefer the Sig P238.

But only carry that when I am going to have to pocket carry.

Have one called the Copperhead. Wife has one in purple. That is her main carry gun.

She also has a Glock 42. But much prefers that P238. 

About as small a 9mm I like is the Sig P938. Probably carry it the most in the summer.

In the winter I carry a Sig P365XL or my Glock 43X.   

But have gotten to like the 365XL over the 43X.  

10 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I’ve actually done that before with a pump. It worked for me. After emptying a model 29 on a couple of would be burglars, my dad decided he would scrap the idea of using a handgun and grab a shotgun given the choice. Of course, he chased them out if his shop and about a half mile through the woods. Neither of which guns would have been worth a flip. They opened fire on him first, which angered him a slight bit. The sheriff was sympathetic to the circumstance, but heck that was 30-35 year’s ago 

5 hours ago, JD Lud said:

Answer is easy…Glock 43 or 43x

Or 48. Pleased with mine.

On 6/2/2022 at 6:32 AM, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

I purchased a Ruger LCR 380 for concealed carry..

It kicks (recoils) real hard...

Considering the new  Ruger 9mm .. the real small one..

Less kick/recoil?

Suggestions?

Thanks..

For reduced recoil take a look at the CZ75 series.  The all- steel models are a couple oz more to pack around, but recoil is well stabilized by the added weight distribution.  I also have the newer aluminum frame model.  It has substantially more flip and recoil, as expected.

All of the CZs are absolute tack- drivers. 

For the same size as the LCP or real close you can get a sig p365....game changer. Ultra concealable, 10+ rds of 9mm and I believe less snappy than 380 lcp. Your life is worth more than a garbage gun....easy concealment and comfort are not worth sidelining a better gun, especially, God forbid, the day you need it. You can conceal this 9mm in your pocket, why in God's name would you carry a 380.

18 hours ago, watab kid said:

not saying anything negative of rugers - i have a lot of them , but my carry is a SIG 938 , it shoots comfortably and accurately - JMHO

Ditto. I tried a Kimber micro nine but the SIG is much better.

13 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Ditto. I tried a Kimber micro nine but the SIG is much better.

My little Sig Sauer P238 in 380 Auto is popular with my wife for the lightness when racking the slide.  I've heard that women love them.

mJH4lP.jpg

N2XGvh.jpg

Archived