SASS Wire Forum

Top Gun - Maverick

So Helen Brimstone and I caught a matinee yesterday.  Lots o' popcorn and soda pop.

Okay, for the review:

It was loud.

It was corny.

It was somewhat technically flawed.

It required significant suspension of disbelief.

It was FUN~!!  :lol:

Recommend not trying to tear it apart for technical issues... just sit back and enjoy it.  ^_^

Oh - and Tom's personal P-51 gets some screen time.  :)

Does Tom Cruise own a p51?      Movie Star Aircraft: The P-51 Mustang in Top Gun: Maverick

I agree with your sentiments.  Don't expect too much, just sit back and enjoy it. Uno and I saw it at an IMAX theater.  That's the way to go, IMHO. 

I may be the only one who never saw Top Gun. I don’t really care for Tom Cruise that’s probably why.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I may be the only one who never saw Top Gun. I don’t really care for Tom Cruise that’s probably why.

Even if you don't decide to see the movie, playing the theme song the next time you're in your car, will make you hit the gas pedal and "buzz" the nearest police station! :o:P

41 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Even if you don't decide to see the movie, playing the theme song the next time you're in your car, will make you hit the gas pedal and "buzz" the nearest police station! :o:P

Sorry don't care for that song either. I turn that off in two seconds! 

Just now, Rye Miles #13621 said:

image.jpeg.837b5d21f82492bc3ce14c79b1e43e8e.jpeg

Not a Tom fan, but the wife wanted to see it. It was entertainment, you just need to view it without a critical eye. For me, there were too many bits with Tom looking into the camera with that big grin of his. Can you imagine Clint doing the same with his spaghetti films? I digress. It was mostly fun and the popcorn was good.

Yeah, there were some corny moments! But, overall it was a great movie. Great flying scenes, with the actors actually undergoing the g-forces in flight. Without spoiling anything, the Dark Star aircraft is verrry interesting! Lockheed-Martin's Skunk Works apparently created the mockup for the movie! The thing was so interesting that the PRC's spy satellites saw it and the Chinese freaked out!  The only question I have, is how were they able to get the mockup to taxi out under its own power, at least turning onto a taxiway?  Sometime back, there was a report of a "something" delta-shaped parked outside of a facility (can't recall whether at Edwards, Area-51 or somewhere), under a translucent cover, that got a lot of people wondering about it. Wonder if it was the Dark Star or something else!

Val Kilmer should get some kind of award for his performance...maybe an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, although his role was brief.  Brought tears to my eyes.

I will say that a major part of the plot reminded me of another movie plot. Also not hard to figure out the unnamed adversary government, although it is NOT mentioned.  Go see it, and see what you think! :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Without spoiling anything, the Dark Star aircraft is verrry interesting! Lockheed-Martin's Skunk Works apparently created the mockup for the movie! The thing was so interesting that the PRC's spy satellites saw it and the Chinese freaked out! 

Sure but come on, can we agree that most likely would have been an Air Force project and not a Navy project? At least at that point of development. 
However, I may be a bit biased that way.  :-) 

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Cmon Rye, I liked that song the first 20 times I heard it. Somewhere between the 21st and 350,0841th time...I started hating it.

I'll wait 'til it comes out on non paying, non commercial venue. Don't like supporting Tom Cruze or Scientology.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Cmon Rye, I liked that song the first 20 times I heard it. Somewhere between the 21st and 350,0841th time...I started hating it.

I'll wait 'til it comes out on non paying, non commercial venue. Don't like supporting Tom Cruze or Scientology.

if it comes on the radio I can’t change it fast enough!

I liked it very much.

Yes, a few corny spots. But thought it was really good.

And the big screen is that only way to see it.

Can't stand Cruz as a person. But the boy makes good movies. 

I go to the movies to be entertained. That's it. 

And I was. Would not mind going to see it again. 

Saw it twice already, original movie had the greatest flight scenes ever filmed.

The new movie scenes are even better, real people in real aircraft doing real things.

It's entertainment, way better than another comic book hero movie.

so tonight i watched butch and sundance - yoiu gotta suspend belief to see those revolver shots sundance makes right through to the end , but its a movie and suposed to entertain right ? so just go with it , 

on the other hand i also watched two parts of donny walbergs show on charlie manson l, no need to suspend reality here , i remember all of it quite well , i actually met one of the girls a number of years prior to the events and thought at the time she was just another 10 year old , i didnt think much of it at the time , later it led me to follow the case even more seriously , 

i had read helter skelter shortly after it was released and have watched the efforts they all made to get out , i was pleased most never have , it was a foregone that charlie would not get out and i was satisfied when he died , the girls not so much , but it seems most are ending as they should , as well as the ones that didnt get tried , 

8 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

I liked it very much.

Yes, a few corny spots. But thought it was really good.

And the big screen is that only way to see it.

Can't stand Cruz as a person. But the boy makes good movies. 

I go to the movies to be entertained. That's it. 

And I was. Would not mind going to see it again. 

Cruz or Cruise? ;’

23 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So Helen Brimstone and I caught a matinee yesterday.  Lots o' popcorn and soda pop.

Okay, for the review:

It was loud.

It was corny.

Recommend not trying to tear it apart for technical issues... just sit back and enjoy it.  ^_^

Oh - and Tom's personal P-51 gets some screen time.  :)

Does Tom Cruise own a p51?      Movie Star Aircraft: The P-51 Mustang in Top Gun: Maverick

Yup

I saw it this week and liked it a lot. I have additional reasons why I liked it....I worked on the F-18 program from the first airplane produced in 1978. I also spent several years setting up for the conversion to the Super Hornet, which is actually a lot different from the first 4 models. It is bigger, faster and has more payload. I loved to see the flying parts, even tho a lot of them were computer generated. There was a good 2 hour special on cable called The Making of Top Gun Maverick that was really good. 

On 6/2/2022 at 1:16 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Okay, for the review:

It was loud.

It was corny.

That description fits those Crash Corrigan/Commando Cody/Flash Gordon serials.

I better check this one out.

:P

We took the kids to see it memorial day.   I RARELY spend the money for a theater but thought I'd treat them to the movie and popcorn.  

As for the song, Danger Zone, it was popular on the radio back when I was actively jumping from planes as a paratrooper.  Imagine that song in your head as you shuffle to the door to jump into the dark night.  Loved it. 

We went to see it. Both the wife and I liked it. But, how is it the the bad guys had more advanced jets? I thought our top fighter was head and shoulders above anything out there?

55 minutes ago, Cholla said:

We went to see it. Both the wife and I liked it. But, how is it the the bad guys had more advanced jets? I thought our top fighter was head and shoulders above anything out there?

When they were telling Maverick about the mission, he said that since the enemy had GPS jammers we couldn't use the F-35. I don't know why F-35s couldn't do the job the way it was done, or why the F-22 couldn't do the job.

Probably because the Navy wouldn't fly actors around in F-35s or F-22s.

The scene with Val Kilmer brought a little bit of a tear to my eye.  He has throat cancer and cannot talk so the part where he is typing his dialog is true to life.  One bit of movie magic - since he cannot talk the one line he speaks was generated by an AI program.

Hmm, the basic plot seems like something familiar.  Luke attacking the Death Star.  Same plot, steering down narrow canyons/walls and then dumping a bomb down a trashcan sized vent.

Sort of like going to see The Expendables.  I knew what I was going to see and it was fun seeing some old farts in action.

P.S. Jennifer Connelly still looks pretty darn bodacious.

A video on youtube claims Val Kilmer's son did the voice overs. They also claim Val will be reprising his old role in a sequel to the movie Willow. That should be interesting as well.

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Now I have to question if he is really going to be in a new Willow.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:50 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

P.S. Jennifer Connelly still looks pretty darn bodacious.

Absolutely!  And did you catch where here character appeared in the original Top Gun?  My son had to point it out to me.

Great movie!  Grab your popcorn or Raisinettes and go enjoy for two hours. 

I loved it!! But I have a reason. When the first movie came out I was in the Navy and I looked a lot like Goose. We were in-port at the Naval base in Rota, Spain and we took a bus tour to Sevilla, Spain. Our guides were a couple young ladies that were daughters of Naval personal on the base. They kept looking at me. Finally I asked if there was anything wrong. They asked "Are you Goose"? My shipmates all joined in and made up a story about how I was an advisor to the movie and ended  up with the part of Goose. They keep asking me about Tom Cruise and I'd make up silly stuff. They bought it for a bit until we couldn't keep from laughing. 

On 6/2/2022 at 10:42 AM, Trailrider #896 said:

Yeah, there were some corny moments! But, overall it was a great movie. Great flying scenes, with the actors actually undergoing the g-forces in flight. Without spoiling anything, the Dark Star aircraft is verrry interesting! Lockheed-Martin's Skunk Works apparently created the mockup for the movie! The thing was so interesting that the PRC's spy satellites saw it and the Chinese freaked out!  The only question I have, is how were they able to get the mockup to taxi out under its own power, at least turning onto a taxiway?  Sometime back, there was a report of a "something" delta-shaped parked outside of a facility (can't recall whether at Edwards, Area-51 or somewhere), under a translucent cover, that got a lot of people wondering about it. Wonder if it was the Dark Star or something else!

Val Kilmer should get some kind of award for his performance...maybe an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, although his role was brief.  Brought tears to my eyes.

I will say that a major part of the plot reminded me of another movie plot. Also not hard to figure out the unnamed adversary government, although it is NOT mentioned.  Go see it, and see what you think! :ph34r:

Having Pulled Security at Miramar and El Centro for first on , havent seen it yet . Val Has Throat Cancer probably why short they recreated his voice for the scene

Archived