SASS Wire Forum

Smokin’ Guns at Rabbit Ridge, MS State Championship

Tequila Shooter

This past Memorial Day weekend was the MS State Championship in Byhalia, MS.  This was my second year to attend, and like last year I was not disappointed.  Deuce McCall and @Jackalope Jeb did an outstanding job.  The stages were honest with a good mixture of target placement and size, no “P” traps, and just enough movement so you didn’t feel like you were in a marathon.  The Friday night black powder shoot was a hoot with Big Ole Brad getting top honors for biggest boom and @Justified - 108968 gave every shooter a little prize.  If you never been to this state match and the timing works for you put it on next year’s calendar, you won’t be disappointed.

I'll second that.

My first time there and wow what a great match. The club put a lot of hard work into all aspects of the match and it definately showed. Everything from the side matches, to the shooting, to the after match social activities were first rate.

Thank you Mississippi River Rangers for putting on an excellent match. See you next year.

Looking at the score sheets, it appears there were a substantial number of misses on the Feed & Grain stage and the Gunsite Depot stage compared to the rest of the stages.  I didn't see many procedurals so I'm trying to figure out how there could be so many misses.

I've not seen a match book or any stage descriptions/scenarios.  Why so many misses on these two stages?

I can't speak to the Feed & Grain - had one miss...the "last pistol, last round" thing! - but the Depot stage was tough for several reasons.  For one, the nature of the stage - a quite narrow bay with natural side berms covered in trees.  There were just two black targets, not outlined.  Left one in deep shade, right one in bright sunlight, rifle was first, engaged from the right side of the stage. For BP shooters at least, the first rifle round filled the bay with smoke that had no way to dissipate, and the bright overhead sun only added to the effect.  There was both lateral and large downrange movement, and the pistol targets presented the same visibility problems, with the added factor that they were further downrange than any of the pistol targets on the other 9 stages.  I was just guessing on the right-hand pistol target...I guessed poorly!

The rest of the match was as expected from the Mississippi River Rangers - beautiful range, good stages, great people!

CS

Stages were well written with no P-traps. The Depot was toughest stage because of the design and lighting. Required both lateral and down range movement. Can't find my booklet but I'll do my best to describe the Depot stage from memory. I'll have to find my book for the Feed and Grain stage..

10-10-4+

Rifle shot from the right side of the stage, Shotgun staged on the left, pistols holstered. A common pair of targets served as both the rifle and pistol targets.

Starting with rifle at Port arms alternate 10 shots at the two Rifle/pistol targets. Ground rifle between guide rails on prop. Move to the left side, retrieve shotgun, and knock down the two closest SG targets. Both must go down before advancing down range. Move down range to the next prop and knock down the next two SG targets. Make SG safe and with pistols engage the Pistol/Rifle targets alternating for 10 shots.

As Count Sandor stated the stage was long and narrow. With high berms and trees on both sides. Even with a breeze, BP smoke lingered. With one target in sun and the other in shade the stage making out the targets through the smoke was challenging.

Target placement was such that when shooting the rifle, the right target was in front of the shooter while the left target was about 2 yards to the shooters left. With pistols the target offsets were reversed. The left target was in front of the shooter while the other was about 2 yards to the shooters right. This did make the stage more challenging than the others.

Personally I had no issues with any of the stages. Yes a couple were challenging but if you used your front sights a clean match could be accomplished. IIRC about 10% of the shooters were clean.

What I loved most about the design of the stages was there were no pistol targets so close I could have leaned out and touched one with a buntline pistol. There were no stand and deliver stages. Every stage had some movement even if it was only 1 or 2 steps.

Here's a video showing the 10 stages at Smokin' Guns at Rabbit Ridge 2022.

Big Ole Brad's Daughter took a bunch of pictures at the match. They have gracisouly posted them online for anyone to view and download.

Definately check out the action shots of the night shoot.

Big shout to Big Ole Brad and Tanya for all the hard work that went into this.

Link to the pictures from SGaRR

Big Ole Brad's website with more Cowboy Action pictures and much much more.

A few from the night shoot.

Fire and Fall Back Shooting C&B pistol

DSC_2123.JPG

Your's truly shooting my Vaquero with 357 cases full of powder.

DSC_2393.JPG

Tequila Shooter's 45 Colt

DSC_1990.JPG

A 73 Spewing fire

DSC_2236.JPG

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Really enjoyed shooting with you.

I plan on returning next year.

As did I! I’ll be back next year.

You might want to consider the TSRA Cowboy Shooting Championship at the Texican Rangers end of July.

https://texicanrangers.org/events/tsra-cas-state-championship

God willing and the creek don’t rise, I’ll be there.

La Sombra

Archived