SASS Wire Forum

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I'll just pass on what my mechanic told me last time I was looking some 17 years ago. Ford engines are terrible. Dodge electronics are terrible. GM is the best bet. Followed his advice, my '05 Silverado has over 230K miles and going strong.

JHC

Chevy’s have been good for us too. 
My wife’s 2007 Suburban has over 180,000 on it. My 2002 ZR2 is now my Grandson’s. I did have to swap engines at 150,000 but I blame that on me listening to a dumbass Service Manager and running 5w20 all the time. 

I own a '19 Tacoma with 32K on the odometer. In Aug of '19, paid right at $38K for it. On Tues, I had it at the dealer for the free annual state inspection. 

Trade/Resale Mgr looked it over. He offered $35K for it. So if it lost 10% of the value the day I drove it off the lot; then I've driven 32K miles for free. 

That was the good news. The bad news is that it's a 10 - 11 month wait for the same truck model from this year........

Being a former Toyota factory mechanic in my life last century, I have a strong affinity for Toyotas.

For many years now, I maintain all the computer systems for a Toyota repair shop.
The owner and I have been close friends for a very long time.

One of the perks is chatting 1:1 with the mechanics.

I favor manual transmissions, but found out the new Tacomas have "issues".
The modern incarnation has the transmission case and bell housing cast as a single unit.

When these modern clutches grenade, they destroy the bell housing.
This adds another $1,000 to the repair of a blown clutch because the trans has to be be reassembled in a new case.

Back in the day, the automatic transmissions I was trained on, are simple child-play compared to the autos of today.
They are highly complex, shift constantly and wear on a zillion intricate parts.

The latest Toyota V-6 have an air pump under the intake manifold valley.
When this service part fails, the entire top of the engine must be removed for service.
Tundras have the starter motor located behind the exhaust system, so the entire right side must be removed to replace the starter.

In a word... "no thanks".

I had a 2007 Dodge 2500 Heavy duty with a 5.7 crew cab 4x4 , the factory rebuilt the whole front end under a Recall except the shocks in 2016 at 

No cost to me.  I weighed my truck right before taking it in for repairs, with the new heavier duty parts installed the truck weighed 170 pounds more when it was done.  This work was done just before my trip to WR in 2016 so it tight and right for this trip.  The down side with this truck was that it couldn't get better than 10 miles per gallon... Sold it and the truck camper on it, when I bought my Class "C" motorhome on a Chevy chassis with a 6 liter Commercial engine (gas) that get 5-7 miles per gallon more than the Dodge did .... 

With no need for a 3/4 ton to haul a camper I bought a 2005 1500 Chevy 4x4 crew cab in 2018 for 4,000 Canadian dollars and have spent 2,000 more getting it sorted 

so for under 5,000 USA dollars I have now been driving this truck that rides So much smoother and gets 16 miles per gallon. 

Other than the initial repairs to get it set right, I have just spent money on gas , tires and oil changes ... 

So if I was to need a 3/4 ton I would Buy a Diesel Crew cab 2500 Chevy 2015-2019, or a Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 Cummings Diesel 4x4 crew cab.

In a 1/2 ton I would buy a 1500 Chevy 4x4 crew cab with a 5.3,,, 2005 - 2011 or 2014 - 2019...

Jabez Cowboy 

I have 3 p/us... a 2003 ½T Silverado, 65K on it... Worth every penny I paid for it...  #2 a 2005 K3500 Silverado 4 dr dually.  92K, and still singing along... I am on my 3rd set of tires...  An oil change once a year for both of these and I feel like they've been well maintained.  Both have 4 wheel disc brakes and are on their second set of pads.  

#3 is arguably the best of the 3, but it hasn't been registered in over 22 years... It's been in the "I'll-get-round-to-it" category for that long.  A 55-½ SW (small window) 3100, with a 427 & 4 spd... disc brakes up front, drum rear... some assembly still required...  but patience is required, as cops near and far are forever stopping you... just to see/hear what's under the hood.   "Warning tickets of all types, a mile deep... from unregistered, excessive noise, exhibition of ??? and no ins/safety inspection... "where're your bumpers man?" and all such nit-pickin' details..."  Still looking for a set of '55 farm truck plates...  hint, hint!

I was all set to buy a new truck last year and then saw the astronomical prices. It's crazy out there. Instead I put all that down payment into turning my 71 F100 into a modern muscle pro touring truck. Full frame off, new coil over suspension no more I beam. Power disk brakes all around and a new T5 5 speed transmission. Sticking with the 302 sb for now but have a coyote conversion in the works down the road. Going to have it back soon just waiting on the wheels and tires.  

20140410_154311.jpg

20220415_161504.jpg

My thoughts exactly.  Here in CA, forever exempt from smog restrictions.  Build a strong and simple engine, best paint, etc and no computer BS in the dash or under the hood.  Project is beyond most guys who just want a truck, but ideal for the hot toddler guy.

i finally trashed my 07 jeep grand cherokee this year , still driving my 05 youkon , not sure where id go if that craps out , i like it ........its paid for ........it runs well .........i got no interest in car payments ...i have no good idea of where you should turn , 

Archived