SASS Wire Forum

As luck would have it, my trusty 94 F-150 may be going to truck heaven this year. Gonna miss her.

Not looking for a new truck. I just can't wrap my head around the mortgage-like truck loan.

Looking for used and mildly abused.

Gasoline engine.

Tow no more that 4K trailer.

4 doors.

So pards what are some make/model years to avoid, and what make/models to check out?

Thanking in advance for your input.

LDD

I have been getting my 1979 three quarter ton fixed on and off for 16 years.  Except for a recent tranny rebuild, a whole lot cheaper than payments  on a new truck.  You know your truck, and even an engine replacement would be reasonable in comparison to a new used you know nothing about.

4 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

image.png.2d9d3fa33ddfe5dcfb053e2a13bd6fce.png

Seriously? Only two on that list make trucks. 

I am also looking at buying a new truck in the coming months. Sticker shock is more than shock in this regard. 
My needs are a bit different as I don’t plan to use it for towing but, Dayaamm, as they say, are prices high. 
My dream of a brand new full sized 3/4 ton 4x4 has changed to 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive and a lack of bells and whistles. 
I am considering the Ford Maverick but it just isn’t really what I want. Even the Dodge base model trucks are high priced. 

15 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Seriously? Only two on that list make trucks.

image.thumb.png.4b45d6d6b195b21d58c287f13f2cae9e.png1142339691_SeeBelow.thumb.jpg.dada6a567b101a66bbf71f9b25ca2a2c.jpg

1172506633_Screenshot2022-05-31122800.jpg.b6596c7a2c69a481d4b9675432925011.jpg

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

60251105_Screenshot2022-05-31122905.jpg.c51c8ee7613d8252fd41457576cec929.jpg

1451185455_Screenshot2022-05-31123029.jpg.db5fdb93030f178dcc2f0116a5ee9d14.jpg

1442062177_Screenshot2022-05-31123229.jpg.cfa37999aea1a2cb35f697d00d3b29a6.jpg

726730471_Screenshot2022-05-31123402.jpg.6b0d0e6cf9929453bf13cd8cca3ebed0.jpg

1126581869_Screenshot2022-05-31123507.jpg.7c0440d97d214cdf9a14e891cf11de57.jpg

1371387688_Screenshot2022-05-31123640.jpg.cc39ee82af6996daceaf5d74b7bd692e.jpg

1995473471_Screenshot2022-05-31124009.jpg.5327a1351c7421a4b08aa6c2653a84d9.jpg

45 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

One thing about pickups, very few fit in the garage anymore.

Or the checkbook.

I’ve got a 17 Dodge Ram I’ve been very happy with so far , 66,000 so far , just got the rear brakes done , normal maintenance. So far so good 

Financially I know the smart move is to purchase a couple year old truck to let somebody else take the big hit on deprecation . But typically I buy new and then drive the wheels off of it , I guess it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling knowing the trucks first few years of life weren’t abusive ones . Unfortunately it seems there are no deals on vehicles right now 

I have a 2018 Ford F150 and am very pleased with it, 46,000 miles and no problems except the 10 speed transmission makes really hard shifts.

I have 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 standard cab 2 wheel drive with a short bed Ram box. I bought it used for $17,000 with 55,000 miles and the smal v8 engine. 6 years ago and paid it off last month. So far, just tires, oil changes and a water pump. It now has 215,000 miles and doing ok at 18-20 mpg.It came with the tow package including a factory brake controller and not so many bells and whistle. I tow with it all the time and it runns good. I am not sure if I will rebiuld it when the time comes  as prices are thru the roof

Howdy,

A friend bought that toyota with stick shift and four doors.

He loves it.

Right now he is out Arizona way and headed for Colorado.

The dealer ordered it to his spec and he got a military green.

He drives a car forever.

His miata has about 300,000 on it.

Take a look at those car and truck magazines before shelling out bucks.....

Best

CR

Toyota for me. Someday.

Well, I'll be the oddball here.  I've got a 2019 Ridgeline and wouldn't trade it.  Needed a truck but didn't want the truck ride.  The Ridgeline answers the mail.

The new Ford trucks all have real (not so)  nice, very loud, very long, very annoying chimes every time you:

>Open or touch a door handle, 

>Touch the trailer brake, >apply the e-brake, 

> Let your windshield washer reservoir get low, 

> Undo your seat belt to get out and open a gate,

> hook up a trailer,

> detach a trailer,

> inhale

>exhale

or just about anything else.   

The annoyance is so bad that I keep swearing never to buy another Ford product.  

Oh, and did I mention that none of the chimes can be turned off, muted or disconnected.  The dealer said they are all required for safety and if disconnected, the truck won't start.  

The tranny and 6.2L gas engine  seem OK, but for a short guy (5'9") the top of the bed and tailgate on the 4wd are ridiculously high.  I paid extra for a 4.5:1 rear end ratio, but the 20" wheels pretty much negate that advantage. 

The 4wd itself is useless, even with all terrain tires.   It just spins out on 1" of snow on my 10% grade driveway, even w/ 4 wheel chains installed.  

So would I buy it again for $55,000?

Clearly NO.

My 2000 2wd F150 with 263,000 miles drives better, gets into more rough places, and doesn't do anything annoying.   For every mile I put on the new F250 Super Duty, I'm still putting 10 on the older truck.  

I wish I could say it's a great truck, and for urban driving maybe so.  But for a rancher with lots of gates and rough dirt roads, not the case.  

Buy a 2009 f250 with the 2nd Gen triton v8. 

My 08 f150 will do what you need but nobody wishes they had a smaller truck

My old farrier truck was a 97 Ford F-250. Put over 350,000 miles on it shoeing horses. 

Sold to another farrier and went a lot further after that.  7.3L diesel. 

Still have my 2003 Dodge 3500 5.9L diesel. Got 270,000 or so on it. Still runs like new.

Got a 2019 Ford F-250 6.7L diesel and love it. 

But still drive the Dodge the most to keep miles off of the ford.

I save it for pulling the camper and long trips.     

My 2 cents.  Used prices are silly right now….people with 5 year old trucks can sell them for what they paid….if you buy used you are paying for that.

If you have a few months to wait and can order new at MSRP or under that is what I would do, Ram has some specials out now.

I know I know…you don’t want payments.  How much do tires, brakes, repairs, unreliability, or no warranty cost in the long run?  Unless you can buy from someone you know or trust at a fair rate, the “deals” you will find will most likely cost you significantly more than expected.

Homda Ridgeline mentioned is a great option and maybe could even lease to keep lower payments and do what is needed, with full warranty and minimal reliability concern.  

if used avoid the 5.7 fords where the spark plugs break off in the heads…early to mid 2000s I believe.  

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Serious question.....will electric cars kill off petrol cars within 15-20 years?

In the US if we started today it would take us that long to update the electrical grid to handle the demand . Right now many places in the country can barely handle the demand to keep the AC on during hot weather. Just imagine the number of charging stations that would be needed, let alone the plants and infrastructure 

I wish you luck in your search.
Mine is a 1991 Toyota truck that is sooo well worn.

However, it doesn't have any of the problems that plague the new trucks.
Nor does it cost north of $70k to buy a new one.

www.motorreviewer.com

This site is an interesting read on engines of all makes.
It seems the vast majority of them are fraught with all sorts of reliability issues.

If one is going to spend $70k on a truck... why not find a 1976 or older pickup and refurb it?
That kind of money would get you a top quality truck, with a powerful and simple (read: reliable) engine that is exempt from CA smog laws.
One could do disk brakes up front, etc etc.

I ordered a new Subaru Forester back in January, put $500.00 down to guarantee I's get what I wanted.  It came in two weeks ago: lowest cost model that listed for $21,000. when I ordered it, jumped to $34,000.00.

I turned it down.

I have a 2018 Impala thatI bought new just after the 2910 came out, some nicely repaired hail damage, and 3,600 mile on it because they used it ferry crews back and forth to Scotsdale to get the damage repair done. Sold my little 2009 Toyota Tacoma (they ain't little any more) and made up the difference out my pocket and brought it home for $18,200.00 fully paid for

The Impala has 23,600 miles on it because I don't go anywhere much any more.  It had about $1600.00 front end bodywork damage courtesy of some anonymous idiot in the Ace Hardware parking lot  a year and a hold ago.  This morning I replaced the driver's side front door gasket for $291.00 and fifteen minutes time.)  I can't get my right foot in without dragging it since my accident.)  At the same time I ordered two new front tires ( between braking and front wheel drive the front tires take a beating...the rears look almost new.) for a hair under $600.00 and a new rubber air dam in front for less ha $300.00 installed....because I get too close to downtown Prescott curbs every now and then.

That beats hell out of cashing in some investments and losing 9 1/2% to 13% return on my money.

I don't like the Impala for a number of reasons, but at 80 years old it will likely out last me.....and it isn't all that bad.

5 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I ordered a new Subaru Forester back in January, put $500.00 down to guarantee I's get what I wanted.  It came in two weeks ago: lowest cost model that listed for $21,000. when I ordered it, jumped to $34,000.00.

I turned it down.

I have a 2018 Impala thatI bought new just after the 2910 came out, some nicely repaired hail damage, and 3,600 mile on it because they used it ferry crews back and forth to Scotsdale to get the damage repair done. Sold my little 2009 Toyota Tacoma (they ain't little any more) and made up the difference out my pocket and brought it home for $18,200.00 fully paid for

The Impala has 23,600 miles on it because I don't go anywhere much any more.  It had about $1600.00 front end bodywork damage courtesy of some anonymous idiot in the Ace Hardware parking lot  a year and a hold ago.  This morning I replaced the driver's side front door gasket for $291.00 and fifteen minutes time.)  I can't get my right foot in without dragging it since my accident.)  At the same time I ordered two new front tires ( between braking and front wheel drive the front tires take a beating...the rears look almost new.) for a hair under $600.00 and a new rubber air dam in front for less ha $300.00 installed....because I get too close to downtown Prescott curbs every now and then.

That beats hell out of cashing in some investments and losing 9 1/2% to 13% return on my money.

I don't like the Impala for a number of reasons, but at 80 years old it will likely out last me.....and it isn't all that bad.

What great returns you are getting!......I'll be virtually paying the bank soon to 'store' my money with them :( 

I was in the trade for eleven years and made a number of millionaires, and a ton of other wealthy folks.  I quit when the market dumped a bit in 2002 and some of my people panicked and sold out...and lost a bunch of money.

All of a sudden it wasn't fun anymore.  A lot of them blamed me even though I had told them to wait it out.

I took my own advice and came out way ahead.  Still looking at good returns on some, others not so much, and a couple I waited to long to bail out of.

Your mistake is putting anything more than some checking account money in ANY bank. Find a good counsellor and have them help you find appropriate mutual funds and a couple of good long term annuities.  Put something away every month and let it ride.  Turn the gains back into the fund and add a bit extra every now and again.

I'm not licensed anywhere anymore and can't give you any specific advice, but get a GOOD counsellor and do what your told....and remember NO INSURANCE POLICY IS GOOD INVESTMENT!  NOT ONE!

13 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I have a 2018 Ford F150 and am very pleased with it, 46,000 miles and no problems except the 10 speed transmission makes really hard shifts.

2018 with 36k miles made me chuckle. Thanks to covid lock downs and the wife working from home, we have a 2019 F-150 with 45 HUNDRED miles!!

I got an 2007 Silverado HD 3/4 ton 4WD with a Duramax diesel that is my favorite.  It has  about 130K on it and it was $$$ well spent once upon a time.  The thought and cost of replacing it scares me.   

If truck prices keep climbing so fast, we'll see a whole new "truck flipping" investment  market develop

(probably  should name it something else though)

When my '03 diesel F350 4wd transmission failed (~300,000 miles), I found an '05 Chevy 2wd 2500 truck with the 6.0 engine, auto trans, and 3:73 limited slip rear.

Just a basic work truck, I really like how it performs. Would rather have leather, power seats and windows, and a few other items, but it does have AC. After sorting out a bunch of really minor items, it is now too solid to trade for something with the other items and 4wd.

So instead of taking a chance on another truck, I just bought an ex police car with awd. I'll hopefully have it sorted out by winter. The entire car cost less than the price uplift on used 4wd trucks.

got a few pick ups , thinking of pulling the 1954 Chevy out and going through it ,  

don't think it will be near the cost of getting something new , I can NOT do anything on 

a rebuilt 283 4 bbl smblock ,aturbo 400 trans , after market air , there ya go 

would probley need to box the frame rails , to handle the sbc 

CB 

I'll just pass on what my mechanic told me last time I was looking some 17 years ago. Ford engines are terrible. Dodge electronics are terrible. GM is the best bet. Followed his advice, my '05 Silverado has over 230K miles and going strong.

JHC

Archived