SASS Wire Forum

Scammers

Wahoo!!!  Fred in TX has the pistol I've been looking for!!!  Scott98 has kindly let me know!  I'm sure if I send Fred $$ he will get shipped to me ASAP.  His email is frehdgabriel@gmail.com just in case anyone else wants to take advantage of his generosity.

Edited by smokedawg SASS#60968
  • Thanks 1

Another person has PM'd me that he has "Winchester Model 57 magazines for sale". I replied and asked him to post pictures/prices on my post here in the Classifieds. I doubt that will happen.

Name is Couture, joined mid 2022 and has four posts on various threads. They look like "feeler" posts. He may be real but I doubt it.

Getting to where you can't even post a WTB or ISO anymore without some scammer trying to rip you off.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Another person has PM'd me that he has "Winchester Model 57 magazines for sale". I replied and asked him to post pictures/prices on my post here in the Classifieds. I doubt that will happen.

Name is Couture, joined mid 2022 and has four posts on various threads. They look like "feeler" posts. He may be real but I doubt it.

Getting to where you can't even post a WTB or ISO anymore without some scammer trying to rip you off.

A quick look shows Couture is a guest.  If we member, guests can’t sell, they can buy, but not sell on the wires.  
and yes, it looks he's a lurker…. Report his name to ERM.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Not Dead Ed said:

A quick look shows Couture is a guest.  If we member, guests can’t sell, they can buy, but not sell on the wires.  
and yes, it looks he's a lurker…. Report his name to ERM.  

Guest's cannot post a For Sale on the Classifieds. They can sell to you on "the side" however.

I going to hold off on reporting him, just to see if he actually posts pictures. If he does post pics, what do you you want to bet that they are either stock pics or pics from another website somewhere.;)

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Guest's cannot post a For Sale on the Classifieds. They can sell to you on "the side" however.

I going to hold off on reporting him, just to see if he actually posts pictures. If he does post pics, what do you you want to bet that they are either stock pics or pics from another website somewhere.;)

Then ask him for a pic laying on today's news paper or different angles.

• Thanks 1

When I joined and sold some holsters for a retired Pard, scammers weren't an issue. I shipped them immediately. One sold to a Pard that was overseas at the time. It was at his house before he got home to send me a check! Things are so different now, although names that I see regularly here, I would still treat like the old days as they have with me. Shockingly, I recently had an LGS trust me to send a check for a pistol with a phone call. He had to drop the gun off at an FFL here in Vermont as the shop is in New Hampshire. The shop was closed for a week, so I had possession of the gun for a week before they got my check! Nice to know there is still some trust around. I hate having to be suspicious all the time.:(

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

When I joined and sold some holsters for a retired Pard, scammers weren't an issue. I shipped them immediately. One sold to a Pard that was overseas at the time. It was at his house before he got home to send me a check! Things are so different now, although names that I see regularly here, I would still treat like the old days as they have with me. Shockingly, I recently had an LGS trust me to send a check for a pistol with a phone call. He had to drop the gun off at an FFL here in Vermont as the shop is in New Hampshire. The shop was closed for a week, so I had possession of the gun for a week before they got my check! Nice to know there is still some trust around. I hate having to be suspicious all the time.:(

It'd be nice if the honor system still worked, it can't with the internet. I've had good luck with the Classifieds, but I'm always vigilant. Money is too hard to come by, or to retain, to get ripped off by some scammer. I don't like being suspicious all the time either...but it's become a necessity in the real world.:angry:

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

When I got my FFL last year, “my” wonderful ATF agent (yes, he’s mine) told me NOT to post my FFL in a place where it could be photographed …Even though regulations state it has to be posted. He said the ATF has told FFL holders to NOT display at gun shows because crooks are photographing them and then photoshopping. Mine is in my shop but not easily viewed.

hugs!

Scarlett

PS there’s a “company” called SensiFlex that apparently, has more Shooters World powders than ShootersWorld LLC! Look out! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 5/22/2022 at 4:26 PM, Frontier Lone Rider said:

He just contacted me that he has a Vaquero I am trying to find for sell.  He is asking a reasonable price, but he wants payment in the form of Zelle?

Here is a quote from the Zelle website:  Zelle® does not offer a protection program for any authorized payments made with Zelle® - for example, if you make a purchase using Zelle®, but you do not receive the item or the item is not as described or as you expected.  THIS is a giant red flag.

• Like 2

Copy and paste from Zelle web site:

Zelle® is a great way to send money to friends, family or others you trust such as your personal trainer, babysitter, or a neighbor. If you don’t know the person or aren’t sure you will get what you paid for (for example, items bought from an on-line bidding or sales site), we recommend you do not use Zelle® for these types of transactions, which are potentially high risk.

Zelle® does not offer a protection program for any authorized payments made with Zelle® - for example, if you make a purchase using Zelle®, but you do not receive the item or the item is not as described or as you expected.

I would suggest to all Wire members again:

• Do not pay for firearms via apps or platforms that do not allow firearms sales. 
  • Do not buy from non-SASS member third parties that just happen to have what you're looking for, suggested by random non-sass member's private messages. 
  • If you have questions about a seller, ask.  We'll be glad to check it out for you.  I am looking in to another post at the moment.  The sales post will not become visible until it checks out.    
  • Do not buy from posts on the Classified Wire that do not come from SASS members.   (We delete them from the Wire as soon as we see them or when reported).
  • Do not use simple passwords.  Change them as part of regular maintenance.   We've had a few legit SASS members have their accounts hijacked as a result of keylogger viruses that have stolen all their computer information.   
  • Use a good antivirus and security suite software with your online devices.
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Add another scammer to the list. Tommy76. Says he joined two hours ago and he contacted me with a personal message with my post classified post copy and pasted. He also attached an email. When I emailed the email it was again my post copy pasted and he wouldn’t even tell me how many pieces of 50-70 brass he had he just kept asking where I was located and that the price was $200. It seemed fishy from the start so I took screenshots and now I see the message is gone so he deleted it and probably blocked me. Whoever is in charge of the forum please ban that guy I’m sure he has 50 other accounts but at least he’ll have one less…..

FE8681FD-ADE7-47FB-88A3-B620FAABB08C.png

On 1/30/2023 at 8:02 PM, Yeti Longbarrel said:

Copy and paste from Zelle web site:

Zelle® is a great way to send money to friends, family or others you trust such as your personal trainer, babysitter, or a neighbor. If you don’t know the person or aren’t sure you will get what you paid for (for example, items bought from an on-line bidding or sales site), we recommend you do not use Zelle® for these types of transactions, which are potentially high risk.

Zelle® does not offer a protection program for any authorized payments made with Zelle® - for example, if you make a purchase using Zelle®, but you do not receive the item or the item is not as described or as you expected.

And buying firearms or many firearms related items is prohibited. Which means if you use their app to do so, you are in violation and could have your account locked.

Major payment platforms that prohibit firearms.

Adyen firearms policy:
Click the following link to read the Adyen Restricted & Prohibited List as of 2018-12-05.

Amazon Payments firearms policy:
Click the following link to read the Amazon Acceptable Use Policy as of 2019-03-11.

Apple Pay firearms policy:

Click the following link to read the Acceptable Use Guidelines for Apple Pay on the Web as of 2019-06-13.

Braintree firearms policy:

Click the following link to read the Braintree Acceptable Use Policy as of 2019-03-11.

Coinbase firearms policy:

Click the following link to read the Coinbase User Agreement as of 2019-06-18.

Escrow.com firearms policy:

Click the following link to read the Escrow.com Terms of Use as of 2019-04-10.
Note: Not technically a payment platform.

Facebook firearms policy:
Click the following link to read the Facebook Commerce Policies as of 2021-01-20.

Click the following link to read the Facebook Community Payments Terms as of 2019-01-28.

Freshbooks firearms policy:

"FreshBooks Payments is powered by WePay" and subject to the same Terms of Service Click the following link to read the WePay Terms of Service as of 2019-03-11.

Google Pay firearms policy:

Click the following link to read the Google Payments center content policies as of 2019-03-11.

Helcim firearms policy:

Click the following link to read the Helcim Acceptable Use Policy as of 2019-06-13.

Intuit Payments firearms policy:

Click the following link to read the Intuit Payments Acceptable Use Policy as of 2019-03-11.

PayPal firearms policy:

Click the following link to read the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy as of 2019-03-11.

PayStand firearms policy:

Click the following link to read the PayStand Acceptable Use Policy as of 2019-06-13.

Skrill firearms policy:
Click the following link to read the Skrill Terms of Use as of 2019-03-11.

Square and Square Cash firearms policy:

Click the following link to read the Square General Terms of Service as of 2019-03-11.

Stripe firearms policy:
Click the following link to read the Stripe Prohibited Businesses list as of 2019-03-11.

Venmo firearms policy:
Click the following link to read the Venmo Helpful Information as of 2019-03-11.

WePay firearms policy:
Click the following link to read the WePay Terms of Service as of 2019-03-11.

Zelle firearms policy:

Click the following link to read the Zelle Network User Service Agreement as of 2019-06-09.

• Thanks 1

• Do not pay for firearms via apps or platforms that do not allow firearms sales. 
  • Do not buy from non-SASS member third parties that just happen to have what you're looking for, suggested by random non-sass member's private messages. 
  • If you have questions about a seller, ask.

Like this one:

Screen Shot 03-11-23 at 07.37 AM.PNG

• Thanks 2

Gabriel420 - banned

daddy89 - banned

sloppyj - banned

Tommy76 - banned

nolay92851 - banned

lonif87326 - banned

zizahalu - banned

tenewi - banned

It's like playing Whack-a-Mole!  

Be careful, and if you have questions about a seller, just go to the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the message or post, and hit report.   We'll be glad to verify or use the ban hammer, whichever is warranted.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Moderators.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

He is a regular on the Coltforum. He seems legit there.

• 3 weeks later...

This guy: Donkj90 joined the site today and already scamming.

Hello, contact Jason In Michigan he has a pair of 4.62” or 5.5” Ruger 357’s his willing to sell and he his trustworthy with his business he can also show his DL. reesedjason23@gmail.com

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Little George said:

This guy: Donkj90 joined the site today and already scamming.

Donkj90 0

• Hello, contact Jason In Michigan he has a pair of 4.62” or 5.5” Ruger 357’s his willing to sell and he his trustworthy with his business he can also show his DL. reesedjason23@gmail.com

Yep, the Third Party Scam.   Donkj90, (IP address resolves to Lagos).  Good catch folks.  They scan the classified listings in forums for WTB posts and answer them all, hoping somebody, anybody, will fall for it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Longhorn Nick said:

Got burned by a sass member Daniel56.  Told me of a guy who had a particular gun I wanted. Paid for it a week ago and no replies any of my questions. 

Dang.  I'm sure sorry you got caught up in one of those 3rd party scams.  Daniel56 was not a SASS member.  He was very briefly a Wire member.  He registered at 2:18 am and was banned that same morning.   His email name was supposedly "Daniel Dominguez" out of Florida.  But, his location was hidden behind a VPN.   But, he slipped up once and we can trace his IP address back to Nigeria.

Everybody please, this is why we restrict Classified sales to SASS Members only.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

JohnP same guy same scam signed up 45 minutes ago

• Thanks 1

New Scammer alert - Watch out!

Milli Mil

Hi bud, I got someone who want to let sell at cheaper rate, you can reach him chesterfieldway5@gmail.com . Have a good day.

Stay safe.

Gotta ask. How hard would it be to set it up to where new users/posters can’t post or send PM’s for 24 hours to allow time for verification? Not allowing access to joiners from certain countries might help also if you can tell where they originate from.

On 2/2/2023 at 5:29 PM, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

• If you have questions about a seller, ask.  We'll be glad to check it out for you.  I am looking in to another post at the moment.  The sales post will not become visible until it checks out.    
  • Do not buy from posts on the Classified Wire that do not come from SASS members.   (We delete them from the Wire as soon as we see them or when reported).
  • Do not use simple passwords.  Change them as part of regular maintenance.   We've had a few legit SASS members have their accounts hijacked as a result of keylogger viruses that have stolen all their computer information.   
  • Use a good antivirus and security suite software with your online devices.