SASS Wire Forum

Scammers

What about this Ronnie Miller guy on the wire now. Lots of nice guns at reasonable prices and he just “joined” SASS a couple days ago ?

All seems way to fishy to me, and lots of wrong info given on multiple guns.

I backed out of my deal after checking around.

Please be cautious!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Slick McClade said:

What about this Ronnie Miller guy on the wire now. Lots of nice guns at reasonable prices and he just “joined” SASS a couple days ago ?

Please be cautious!!

I was wondering the same thing.

Guy named MattL just popped up in the classifieds with a new sass account one minute after someone was looking to buy brass. Looks pretty suspicious to me.  

On 6/21/2022 at 2:20 PM, Slick McClade said:

Please be cautious!!

Ronnie Miller is the seller's real name.  Alias 1SG, is a SASS member from FL

• Like 1

One thing to help protect yourself is never do Venmo, PayPal, or Zelle because they don’t allow gun purchases. They’ll ask you to say you’re family and friends. That’s a lie and I don’t deal with anyone who asks me to lie or break rules. You won’t have a recourse. 

I like USPS money orders because if you send them, they cash them and don’t send your gun, it’s federal. Plus the PO has their own investigators. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dont rely on the Police or USPS to do anything about a scam using Postal Money orders. I was scammed on here and tried every recourse to no avail. Basically told me there was nothing they could do about it. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

There's a new one among us. "Koeman" is answering WTB ads privately, then referring to a David Carey in Georgia - davidcarey470@gmail.com - who miraculously has exactly what you're looking for. FYI

Edited by LQ Jones

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

NJames has been answering WTB ads, referring people to a third person.  He/She/They is shielded behind a blacklisted VPN out of Boston, via way of Nigeria.

Banned (of course).

Nigeria? Maybe they've got some money to send me

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

NJames has been answering WTB ads, referring people to a third person.  He/She/They is shielded behind a blacklisted VPN out of Boston, via way of Nigeria.

Banned (of course).

Ok did get PM from him, but I saw it as a scam, but before I could report you already had it removed 

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

"Muggle" has been banned.   It appears that all entries in his profile, including Location and SASS # were removed.  His e-mail address was changed to a new one. 

IP address has changed to a blacklisted VPN out of D.C.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

"Muggle" has been banned.   It appears that all entries in his profile, including Location and SASS # were removed.  His e-mail address was changed to a new one. 

IP address has changed:

Screen Shot 09-06-22 at 04.46 PM.PNG

Oh no!

• Haha 2

I feel like I may have helped the scammer. He was actively PMing me asking my advice. I let my guard down for one minute and this is what happens!

The guys name and criminal record is posted on the Coltforum.

Edited by Cholla
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Cholla said:

I feel like I may have helped the scammer. He was actively PMing me asking my advice. I let my guard down for one minute and this is what happens!

The guys name and criminal record is posted on the Coltforum.

I wouldn't feel bad, you are always on here quick to spot a scammer. It happens. I actually posted something on that ad calling BS and changed it because I couldn't prove it. I don't think he got anyone for their money. They are everywhere it seems we all try to give the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 3

Just got an email 9/7/22 from Powder Valley.  I am not pushing them, but I thought their info was relevant to this topic: 

5 WAYS TO SPOT A FRAUDULENT WEBSITE:

There are several fraudulent websites popping up trying to entice you to place an order for something they don't have in stock.  They are copying information from major retailers, and showing items in stock that aren't.  These sites are coming up on major search engines when searching for hard to get items.

Here are 5 things to look for before placing an order:

If they show every in-demand product in stock and prices are too good to be true.

Demand continues to outpace supply, and we have seen a significant number of price increases. If their prices are lower than the industry market price, please be mindful.

Powder Valley is the nationwide leader for sales of Primers, Powder, Brass, Bullets and Ammunition for reloading components. We are doing everything we can to keep our prices down and continue on focusing on Shooters supporting Shooters. Our quantities received from the manufacturers have decreased even more and the outlook on the horizon doesn’t look any better.

If a website only accepts peer-to-peer payments like: Venmo, PayPal, or Zelle.

Most fraudulent websites do not accept major credit cards. Some may claim they except Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express, but when you get to the checkout screen those options are not available. They do this because peer-to-peer payment platforms do not allow customers to dispute the fraudulent charges.

PayPal does not support the 2nd Amendment. They do not offer their services for any transactions related to firearms, magazines, parts, ammunition, or components.

If it is a newly purchased domain, or a new company you’ve never heard of.

We encourage consumers to always ensure they are dealing with a legitimate company online. Never type your information into a website for which you're not 100% certain of the authenticity.  Illegitimate websites may share or sell your data to unscrupulous third parties.

If there is no contact information or address on the website, or the phone number/address is not legitimate.

Every company should have a phone number, email address, and physical address. If they do not list these 3 things, that should be a big red flag. If they do have contact information, it is very important that you do your own investigation by calling the number and speaking to a real person. You may even do a Google search on the address to see photos, reviews, and hours.

If the website is not powdervalleyinc.com

We only have one website: https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
You can call us at 800-227-4299 or email us at reload@powdervalleyinc.com to confirm it is us before placing an order.

If you have any questions or complaints about a website defrauding consumers attempting to order reloading components and ammunition, please contact the FBI or the FTC.

Edited by Shepherd Book
misspelling
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A tactic some scammers are using is to build up a post count by replying to threads with innocuous comments, or adding cartoons in the Saloon.  They hang back awhile and then hijack an old SASS #, and then post in the Classifieds.   Yesterday we stopped another.   While many are suspicious of those sellers who only have a very limited number of posts, or are new Wire members, the ones that we've been asked about lately have all been legit...  Be aware that the "sleeper" tactic has been used successfully.   If you have a question about any seller, ask.  We'll be glad to follow up.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

BEWARE of anyone wanting to be paid by Zelle or wire transfer, they are 99.99% of the time scammers. There is no way to get your money back using these payment methods. Only use these payment methods to send money to your Mom, and only then if you trust her!!!

Edited by Cedar County Sheriff, SASS#4578Life
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is now a new tactic. 

Scams are showing up at the top of online searches

Add one more to the list of online places bad guys are hiding: the very top of search results.

Nasty scams and malware are preying on your trust by hiding behind the ads that sit on top of search pages. Google, DuckDuckGo and Bing are being paid to put them in front of us, and they haven’t figured out how to stop it.

It’s called “malvertising,” and if you’re not vigilant at spotting it, you could get burned.

Washington Post reader Jack Wells wrote to me recently after a fright. “I am afraid I may have been hacked this morning, and I wonder if you could offer any advice on how to deal with it,” he wrote.

Here’s what happened: Wells had gone to DuckDuckGo, the privacy-focused search engine I also use, and typed “Citibank login” in the hopes of visiting the banking portal. The first item appeared to be an ad for the Citibank log-in page, so he clicked on it.

Best advice it not to click on search results that are flagged as ads.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

So I guess Dumpre was a scammer as well.  He joined in June of '21 and had a couple hundred posts, many in the Saloon.  Moderators have removed his two for sale items.  Thanks to Bad Company for the first alert.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Bad Company, SASS #20195 said:

They are out there. This was my 3rd scammer encounter.  Be careful. If something seems odd, question it. It's a shame we have to be suspicious, but it's a sign of the times.  BC

Ever vigilant, BC, great job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 6:31 PM, LQ Jones said:

There's a new one among us. "Koeman" is answering WTB ads privately, then referring to a David Carey in Georgia - davidcarey470@gmail.com - who miraculously has exactly what you're looking for. FYI

Yeah, my cousin David, from here in Texas, moved to Georgia.  :rolleyes:

He still has everything you need, including caps and powder for old-time prices.

What could go wrong?  :blink:

Please note: This reply is intended to be humorous.

My other cousin in Texas still has everything you need.

Send me the money, and I'll forward it to him.  :ph34r:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brazos John said:

Yeah, my cousin David, from here in Texas, moved to Georgia.  :rolleyes:

He still has everything you need, including caps and powder for old-time prices.

What could go wrong?  :blink:

Please note: This reply is intended to be humorous.

My other cousin in Texas still has everything you need.

Send me the money, and I'll forward it to him.  :ph34r:

Do you take cash?:ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Do you take cash?:ph34r:

Absolutely!

Can you zelle it to me at BR-549?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Happy Appy said:

Does anyone know if Corey Thompson is real or a scam?  He wanted to buy a rifle but have heard nothing since

He was here 7 hours ago. Maybe he isn't wise to using the forum. You may want to tag him in the rifle ad to see if he responds.

image.png.6ada32d22a7651a8c1a3451ac94889a4.png

• 1 month later...

Here's another scammer. Just joined today, PM'd me about my ISO Win model 52 mags. These people must really think we are stupid. He wants me to "PM" some guy named Frank who has just what I am looking for. Boy, these cockroaches really come out of the woodwork.:angry:

Scammer info;

Name - chetany (joined today 30 minutes ago, never made a post...just a PM to me)

Name/E-mail of person who "has what I need" - Frank/frankraymond0283@gmail.com

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Here's another scammer. Just joined today, PM'd me about my ISO Win model 52 mags. These people must really think we are stupid. He wants me to "PM" some guy named Frank who has just what I am looking for. Boy, these cockroaches really come out of the woodwork.:angry:

Scammer info;

Name - chetany (joined today 30 minutes ago, never made a post...just a PM to me)

Name/E-mail of person who "has what I need" - Frank/frankraymond0283@gmail.com

Thanks, I just got one too

• Thanks 1

There's another scammer on GunBroker offering vintage Colt SAAs. Selling guns using old photos off other boards. He claims to accept money orders but once the auction is over he demands Zelle or PayPal. Total scammer.

Username: dinoden

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Yellowstone Curtis 112957 said:

Thanks, I just got one too

Me too! His buddy Frank must have one hell of an inventory. Reported him to ERM.

The only way to be certain is to nuke them from orbit!

La Sombra

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2