SASS Wire Forum

Scammers

Has anyone traded with Kibe,  Troy Selph from Hilham TN?

He contacted me by WirePM about a rifle I am looking for too.   We have exchanged texts and his number is a google number.  He did send a copy of a driver's license and a Class 01 FFL, but if he is a scammer that means nothing.   His SASS number doesn't match up.  I hope someone knows him and he checks out because I want the rife.   In my profession, I have to deal with scammers daily.  Hope that he is not one.

Edited by Hopalong Mac McLin

Standing Stone Arms might be real  but there's nothing to say that Kibe is them.

There's been a couple of scammers on here before using a gun store's name and FFL number, but money sent to the name and address the "person" provided went somewhere else, and the buyer was stuck.

• Like 1

He just contacted me that he has a Vaquero I am trying to find for sell.  He is asking a reasonable price, but he wants payment in the form of Zelle?

Personally, credit card (most banks have a clawback in case of fraud to protect you).  Or physical check and I want pictures of the item, along with today's newpaper to validate that it's a real item that the person has in hand.  I also want mailing address up front (in case of check) so that I can validate the address is valid.

I won't pay for anything any other way.  Credit card or check or cash in person, with the photo proviso above if all by mail.

Scammers are everywhere, and there are more and more of them every week.  Be very cautious.

• Like 4

Yep... he said that he would deliver it to me, but I had to electronically send 1/2 of the money to hold it.  Too many red flags.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Way too sketchy. You have no recourse if he is a scammer if you use Zelle. It is a violation of the user agreement to use it for a firearm so it could go bad in many ways. 

He is hitting up way to many members to be believable.

Scammers have been hitting the muzzloading forum as well.

• Like 1

Similar experience, he contacted me Saturday night. Business exists and does list an FFL number and is active.

STANDING STONE ARMS INC

STANDING STONE ARMS INC

260 TWO HAWKS LN, HILHAM, TN 38568

(931) 268-1946

Cell number he contacted me with shows San Antonio area code but also returned hits in Greece. Google phone, maybe?

His pm to me has been deleted, no SASS number or posts on his account here.

LQ

Edited by LQ Jones

I received another text this morning wanting to known "what's up?"    My response was "No more scamming on the Wire."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I just got off the phone with the REAL Troy Selph; he does not post here nor is he a member. The scammer is using his FFL information on a number of different forums.

If there is any doubt, Mr. Selph may be contacted at his business or cell.

STANDING STONE ARMS INC

260 TWO HAWKS LN, HILHAM, TN 38568

(931) 268-1946

(931) 704-3814 cell

Be safe out there - trust not, but verify.

LQ

• Thanks 2

He sent me pictures of the firearm for sell, but I said I do not do Zelle.  I only pay with a US Postal Service Money Order.  So, I would need his complete address and the address of the shipping FFL.

He has not responded.

So, did anyone actually complete a transaction for a firearm from this guy?

No......Kibe is a scammer.....probably from Nigeria.   He has been locked out.   If he figures a way in do not give his guy any money.  He has used the real Troy's FFL and license, but Kibe is a scammer.

• We are not immune from scammers simply because the seller has a SASS number.
  • A person can become a SASS member if they using  a fraudulent credit card.
  • Check references.  Ask about sales to other members.  Ask for photos of ID that match the address where you are sending funds...  photos of the guns with current newspapers.  Nothing is "bulletproof".   But, protect yourself as much as possible.
  • Dealing with a SASS member does not mean every transaction will be flowers and rainbows.  We expect more of SASS members,  they may not live up to that expectation.  SASS has no power to hold either parties' "feet to the fire". 
  • SASS accounts have been hijacked by "hackers" taking advantage of lax passwords. 
  • Sometimes, as with the case of "Kibe", they simply copied someone's identity.
  • Stay on your toes.  Criminals are trying their best to victimize you.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

If you receive an unsolicited PM offer to sell.  Anything that strikes you as suspicious, just report it.  That raises a "red flag" and it only takes a moment to check if the activity is coming from a user's normal location, or if suddenly the SASS- member is sending messages from Lagos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We just had someone with what appeared to be a legit SASS number and history with a year of posts, try to sell a SAA and a Python twice to 4 different people who all sent checks. Luckily all the checks were able to be cancelled when the whole thing just didnt smell right. Perhaps when an add is posted would it be possible that the persons SASS number and all relevant information be confirmed. I am not sure whose job that may fall on. Be wary folks

Edited by Reverend Leadslinga
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Reverend Leadslinga said:

We just had someone with what appeared to be a legit SASS number and history with a year of posts, try to sell a SAA and a Python twice to 4 different people who all sent checks. Luckily all the checks were able to be cancelled when the whole thing just didnt smell right. Perhaps when an add is posted would it be possible that the persons SASS number and all relevant information be confirmed. I am not sure whose job that may fall on. Be wary folks

Unfortunately, with the amount of traffic the Classified Wire generates, checking and rechecking every buyer and seller would quickly overwhelm the small group of volunteer we have.  (Has this seller been "hacked" since last week?  Is that buyer who they say they are?).  But, we will gladly do what we can to follow up every request or report.  Please consider the Classifieds as no more than a newspaper.  Unless you know the other person, buyer (and seller), beware.  If you have questions about a seller the SASS Office may be able to help you.

• Thanks 1

BBWARE of messages from “Frankie the Fink” and “Audiophyte”. Looks like a PM notice from SASS Wire in your inbox. But it is not. SASS Alias look-up shows no such members. — Far country Traveler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

The bulk, (but certainly not all), of the scammers are new Wire members who are not SASS Members and answer most of the higher dollar WTB ads.   Often, if you look at the sender's profile, under location, it will say "Proxy/VPN, No Confirmed Location".

tbt250602 contacted me today regarding my want ad for a Shiloh 1863 Carbine. The photos he eventually sent me were from an old Guns International listing by Bill Goodman whom I know. He told me his Guns International account had been hacked and photos of his guns used by others. The seller did provide an FFL number that comes back to a business in Colorado but the phone number doesn't work. He also has no history here on SASS. The business name is DER SCHARFSCHUTZE under N8 Enterprises, LLC.

Anyone know him? He joined 2 hours ago.

Edited by Dutch Anderson SASS # 12812

@LQ Joneshas a post about this same guy offering a condor ASM revolver for sale too.  He said beware.   
his SASS # doesn’t check out he noted too.