SASS Wire Forum

Directions

Alpo

I'm on another board reading one of those threads about "how stupid the people in the gun shop are". I know you all have all seen those threads. Sometimes they are about stupid customers, and sometimes they are about stupid store employees, but they show up all the time.

So this guy is an employee talking about a stupid customer. He is giving the guy directions to get to the store, over the phone. "Go to X intersection, and turn South".

Turn South. You ever do that? Give a compass direction is part of your directions on how to get somewhere? I don't know about the rest of the world, but I don't generally carry a compass with me.

A woman was coming to my house one day, and she called me on the phone looking for directions. We have a Chevrolet dealer that flies a giant flag 24/7/365. So I asked her where she is. To give directions you must know the starting point. She said she's at Walmart on 23rd Street. So I tell her to head toward the beach. Not to go west - to head toward the beach. Everybody knows where the beaches are here. And when she gets to the Chevy dealer with the big flag turn left. Not turn south - turn left.

In general, unless it’s for a highway that has signage with a compass direction, I rarely use compass directions. 
I get that a lot here on the west coast.  People saying “turn South” or whatever instead of saying make a right or a left. 
Also, I noticed that when I stop people going me directions and ask “Is South a left or a right” I get some pretty stupid looks as it appears to confuse them. I always follow up with “How do you determine compass directions on a cloudy day or at night?”

"Make a left and go south until you reach ...."
Sometimes I'll give directions just using compass directions.  In my opinion your bulb has to be pretty dim to not have some general idea of the major compass points.

Now, our place is oriented roughly N46E, but we will talk about the north side or south side because in general that is the direction that wall faces.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I'm on another board reading one of those threads about "how stupid the people in the gun shop are". I know you all have all seen those threads. Sometimes they are about stupid customers, and sometimes they are about stupid store employees, but they show up all the time.

So this guy is an employee talking about a stupid customer. He is giving the guy directions to get to the store, over the phone. "Go to X intersection, and turn South".

Turn South. You ever do that? Give a compass direction is part of your directions on how to get somewhere? I don't know about the rest of the world, but I don't generally carry a compass with me.

A woman was coming to my house one day, and she called me on the phone looking for directions. We have a Chevrolet dealer that flies a giant flag 24/7/365. So I asked her where she is. To give directions you must know the starting point. She said she's at Walmart on 23rd Street. So I tell her to head toward the beach. Not to go west - to head toward the beach. Everybody knows where the beaches are here. And when she gets to the Chevy dealer with the big flag turn left. Not turn south - turn left.

Out here we use the mountains as a compass. On the Western slope (Grand Junction side) the mountains are east. On the Front Range (Denver side) the mountains are west. Seems to me if everyone knows where the beach is in your state (assuming ocean) then they should know that would normally be mostly west or east (depending on part of the country) and the other compass points would follow. Remember the Boy Scout trick of “face the morning sun” that is east, arms out RH is south, LH is north, behind is west. “Face the evening sun” that is west RH is north, LH is south, behind is east. Always works and no compass necessary. 
Beside on all of my cars in the dash there is a notification which way you are traveling. :)
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I use both compass and left/right directions. It all depends on if I know the direction that they are coming from. Do not know the direction, "At the 3rd traffic signal turn North...". If I know the direction that they are coming from, "At the 3rd traffic signal turn North, which will be a left...".

Left/right directions are subjective. Compass directions are not.

I made a lot of money with directions when I lived in southern California.  Even people who had lived there for their entire lives insisted that the ocean was west of there.  Depends on just where you are because the coast makes a turn to the east and a lot of the time the ocean is due south of where you're standing.

It was especially fun to bet the Navy pogues and take their money.  You'd think a sailor would know where the shore was.

I still use maps that works about as it always has.  Most folks are generally oriented to the area they live in and it is easy from there. As to compasses, cars, GPS, actual waterproof small match case / compass in my field bag  work just fine.  Don't use one, but I'd bet the ever present cell phones have a compass app.

Most cars these days tell you what direction you are heading.   Most smartphones have a app for directions and most GPS that we use for directions tells you what direction you are going.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I made a lot of money with directions when I lived in southern California.  Even people who had lived there for their entire lives insisted that the ocean was west of there.  Depends on just where you are because the coast makes a rune and a lor of the time the ocean is due south of where you're standing.

It was especially fun to bet the Navy pogues and take their money.  You'd thing a sailor would know where the shore was.

I had difficulty with that for a few months when I moved to ca in 1974. Being from the Midwest, the Pacific Ocean was WEST! So, living a block off of Beach Blvd (a N-S street) which went south to the ocean, I was always 90 degrees off when trying to drive somewhere. I "knew" the map direction I wanted to go and that the ocean was to the "west". I often went the wrong way until I hit a major road that I knew went the direction I wanted to go.

On another note, I visited NYC once (never again) and used the subways often. Upon exiting the subway station, I had no idea which direction was which and wound up walking a block before I knew which direction I was going. Often, it was the wrong direction. So, I went to a sporting goods store and bought a compass!:P

My car has a built in compass right below the speedometer. I always know which direction I’m heading. Great feature!

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

In general, unless it’s for a highway that has signage with a compass direction, I rarely use compass directions. 
I get that a lot here on the west coast.  People saying “turn South” or whatever instead of saying make a right or a left. 
Also, I noticed that when I stop people going me directions and ask “Is South a left or a right” I get some pretty stupid looks as it appears to confuse them. I always follow up with “How do you determine compass directions on a cloudy day or at night?”

image.png.3ed59d7e8282e573b2a4f688baf2bcdc.png1057651832_Snickeringemoji.png.2ff5f732be0abfe4d4e3f53c081ebf47.png

Around here the locals use 70 year old landmarks! 

Take a left at Malquist's and then turn right and go over and thru to Godfrey's. It's just over the hill from there. ( another 5 miles):lol:.

31 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

image.png.3ed59d7e8282e573b2a4f688baf2bcdc.png1057651832_Snickeringemoji.png.2ff5f732be0abfe4d4e3f53c081ebf47.png

Depends on which way you're facing. :D

2 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Take a left at Malquist's and then turn right and go over and thru to Godfrey's. It's just over the hill from there. ( another 5 miles):lol:.

Of course, those places haven't existed for 20 years.

7 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Depends on which way you're facing. :D

Of course, those places haven't existed for 20 years.

Exactly. Got asked by a friend that got hospitalized to go pick up his truck at "Barker's". He gave me basic directions. Drove around and back and forth looking for the place. Came home and called another local for help. Oh, that's "Cadwell's" logging. Thank God the old Cadwell sign was still there! Cadwell went out about 15 years ago and Barker's about 60. Sheesh!!

16 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Ya can't thar from here Sonny.

Always loved that one.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I use both compass and left/right directions. It all depends on if I know the direction that they are coming from. Do not know the direction, "At the 3rd traffic signal turn North...". If I know the direction that they are coming from, "At the 3rd traffic signal turn North, which will be a left...".

Left/right directions are subjective. Compass directions are not.

When I give directions I do the same thing. As for myself, if I don't know where I'm going, I look it up on Google Maps BEFORE I leave to go there. If needed, I will write directions down. I'm still using a flip phone, and I don't trust GPS anyway, (yes, I'm a borderline luddite). Several years ago I was planning a roadtrip to Ohio from here in Tucson, so I bought an Atlas at a local truckstop. The guys at work were just flabbergasted at that! There's only maybe ONE of them who would even know how to READ a map.

As for getting directions, my favorites were when I was stationed in Atlanta. The locals would almost always start, "Well, ya go down the road here 'till ya come to the red light, then ya turn left...".

I'd always stop them there and ask them which direction I turn if the light's green. That usually made them stop and think a second. And no, I wasn't being mean to someone who was trying to help me, we almost always laughed about it.

3 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

As for getting directions, my favorites were when I was stationed in Atlanta. The locals would almost always start, "Well, ya go down the road here 'till ya come to the red light, then ya turn left.

I thought Atlanta directions always started, "Turn left and go down until you get to Peachtree..."

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I thought Atlanta directions always started, "Turn left and go down until you get to Peachtree..."

That was the street you got to AFTER you turn at the red light. For those who haven't had the pleasure of visiting Atlanta, about every third street is named Peachtree.

Abbreviated version of a New England Joke 

A traveler on a country road comes to a creek where the bridge has been swept away by a recent flood. The traveler sees an old farmer standing next to where the bridge used to be and asks, "Is there a way to back track and find some where else to get across the creek?"

The farmer responds, "Yep. Just, go back two miles turn right and... No, go back one mile and turn left..." The farmer stops for a minute, shrugs his shoulders, scratches his head, and then says to the traveler, "Come to think of it, you can't get there from here."

Does this road go to Bradford.

Nope.... lived here near 60 years and that road has always just stayed right where it is!:D

I used to do that until I realized how ignorant people have become.

My wife NEEDS compass directions.  Tell her "North" "South", "West" and she's fine.  Tell her "Right" or "Left" and she has to stop and look at her hands.

The trick:  Hold both your hands in front of you with the back of your hands towards you with your thumbs extended.   The forefinger and thumb on your left hand makes an "L".  I have to laugh every time someone tells her "Right" or "Left" and I catch her looking at her hands.  She tries to hide it, but she's not very good at it.  :lol:

Angus

I mentioned this thread to my wife and she asked me “When was the last time  you had someone ask you for directions?”. I had to think but it’s been a while. I did tell her I like to keep in practice to help out all the old guys that can’t figure out how to use a smart phone…

Yeah, I’m going to hell…:P

See you there…and we won’t need directions. :lol:

1 hour ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

My wife NEEDS compass directions.  Tell her "North" "South", "West" and she's fine.  Tell her "Right" or "Left" and she has to stop and look at her hands.

The trick:  Hold both your hands in front of you with the back of your hands towards you with your thumbs extended.   The forefinger and thumb on your left hand makes an "L".  I have to laugh every time someone tells her "Right" or "Left" and I catch her looking at her hands.  She tries to hide it, but she's not very good at it.  :lol:

Angus

My gal is exactly the opposite. If you use N,S,E,W., she'll never get there. Draw her a map, she'll never get there. Give her a printed out map with arrows, she'll never get there. Write down instructions with left/right designations, she'll get there.

If she gives me directions, I'll listen patiently, nod my head, say Thanks Babe, wait until she's not looking and look it up on a map/computer. She also doesn't understand that the terms "go up to the ______" means to travel north and "go down to the ______" means to travel south.

All of that but ask her what your work cell phone number (that you only had for a week) was from 15 years ago, she'll tell you without hesitation.

And she calls ME picky.:rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I mentioned this thread to my wife and she asked me “When was the last time  you had someone ask you for directions?”. I had to think but it’s been a while. I did tell her I like to keep in practice to help out all the old guys that can’t figure out how to use a smart phone…

Yeah, I’m going to hell…:P

See you there…and we won’t need directions. :lol:

If you carry a cell phone, you're more than halfway there - just heat and pitchforks missing.  They can find a phone easy.  Prefer to make  'em work for a living.

33 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

If you carry a cell phone, you're more than halfway there - just heat and pitchforks missing.  They can find a phone easy.  Prefer to make  'em work for a living.

I am not important enough for “they to worry about. 

45 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am not important enough for “they to worry about. 

Nor am I, it costs nothing to be a little more...cautious than might be necessary!  Besides, I detest the dam' things! B)

Used to buy new Thomas Brothers map books for the counties we served.  After maybe six years we're going to visit a family some miles away.  I was driving and my partner was navigating.

We were on a good paved two lane road and came up over a hill and I  pulled over and stopped.  Hanna didn't look up, but asked what I was doing.  I took the map book out her hands and she asked again what I was doing.  I told her I was checking but she was right, the map was wrong.  The look onher face was an sight.

Right across our road was a mile wide rock quarry about a quarter mile across.

When we got back to the office I called Thomas Brothers maps and told them I had an issue with the LA County map.  The guy didn't hesitate a second.  "You're in Irwindale, right?"  He offered to replace the book and I told him we had 41 people in our office.  "I'll have them delivered day after tomorrow." The following August when the new maps came out I found 41 copies in the office lobby within a day or two.  No charge.

I wonder if they are still in business.

6 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I wonder if they are still in business.

My wife bought me a brand new Thomas Bros. LA and Orange Counties map book 2 years ago. I do use it on occasion.  It is the 2020 edition. 

Yes, they are still around. They have a 2022 edition now so I guess they update every 2 years. 
https://thomasmaps.com/

Archived