SASS Wire Forum

Do we LARP, or do we not LARP, that is the question

Ethan Cord

I was explaining Cowboy Action Shooting to one of my relatives today. I told her we wear 1880’s style clothes, shoot old west cowboy guns at various targets, etc. She said, “oh, you’re a Larper!” 

In more than 30 years of playing this game, I have never considered this as a Live Action Role Play (LARP) game.

What say ye? Do we LARP? :o

There are Too Many Categories now!

But If SASS ever creates a Category for Plastic Swords and Air Soft..........   I'm Outta Here  :wacko:

I can see the 'LARP' connection for someone watching a match:

If there's a back story read before a stage, it's almost always from a western (duh).

I've heard of stages drawn up to (vaguely) replicate a shootout from a movie or from the history books.

Some clubs use targets cut in western shapes. Props are western-themed. Guidelines for attire and equipment all give a nod to a western influence.

Lots of starting lines are associated with movie shootouts. Some people even replace scripted starting lines with a gunfight initiating line from a movie, like, 'Fill your hand, you summabich!'

But as far as actually being LARP -- what you have going on in your mind while you're shooting a stage is your own business.

21 minutes ago, Lunger Dan said:

More like AARP with the average age these days

That’s some funny Sh$t right there!

There is a peripheral resemblance to LARP, but strictly speaking, I'd say no.  On the other hand, something we are often compared to, Civil War Reenacting, I would say IS a LARP.  So I can see how people would make a connection.

It might be a good way to describe us to the uninitiated, "Sorta LARP-like with an Old West theme."

Shooting competition with some people in costume. ;)

No, definitely not LARP.

LARPing would typically be defined as everyone having to actually try to act out an alternate persona during the whole event.

What we are is a cosplay shooting event.

The rules require a certain minimal amount of cosplay to participate.  Some go minimal and some go all in on costumes.  Any acting is purely optional.

No LARP here... I've not found the reset or replay button.  

I have a relative who has also referred to what we do as LARPing, but CAS isn't LARP in my eyes. Our guns aren't foam, and while I may be wearing a "costume" and have an alias, I'm not role-playing. I'm participating in a wild west-themed shooting competition.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:10 PM, Fast Enuff said:

No, definitely not LARP.

LARPing would typically be defined as everyone having to actually try to act out an alternate persona during the whole event.

What we are is a cosplay shooting event.

The rules require a certain minimal amount of cosplay to participate.  Some go minimal and some go all in on costumes.  Any acting is purely optional.

Yep that's pretty much my thought on it also. But I can also see how someone that's never seen or done it could draw a line to larping. 

I've used the term to explain the game to some of my friends, especially (video) gamers, that it's like Red Dead Redemption LARPing, but caveat that it's not actually larping but closer to a 3 gun competition, but with 4 guns and none of them are semi-autos. 

For those of you who don't know, Red Dead Redemption is a western video game that takes place late 1800's, early 1900's. Very popular game. 

thats a great way to look at it - ive not found the need to add a label beyond cowboy action shooting or old mans three gun competition , im not pretending to be anyone else but me , dressed in a hat/boots/clothes from the 1800s to shoot targets and enjoy a bit of camping with friends , 

On 5/30/2022 at 6:59 AM, Ethan Cord said:

That’s some funny Sh$t right there!

I too got a good chuckle over that one!  As I see it, LARP-ing is generally not a competition, where CAS is indeed competitive.  I do think the costuming catagories lean a bit further that way, but I still think that the competition is the key difference.  Good luck and good shooting to all.

14 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

CAS becomes LARP the first match after you join AARP! ^_^ 

AARP'ers don't know what LARP is!

now there is something else ive not thought much of since i started this adventure - the costuming , i do realize thats a big part of some folks attraction here and they take it very seriously - its a competition as well at major shoots [not so much local ones but even those have their moments] we have multiple competitions in this venue , not all compete in all but we all participate to a degree , i doubt anyone joins here thinking they will ignore any aspect of our events , 

but LARP ? im not sure that really fits our thing 

LARP? I dunno...I play a 7' tall Vesk in Starfinder...

Let's see, shooting real guns with real bullets in a dynamic environment, sounds like Live Action.

Dressing like a cowboy, lawman, soldier, outlaw, etc., sounds like Role Playing to me.

Ergo, LARPing.

Quite a few folks in the 2-gun competition world do it as well and embrace the term.

IMG_4703.thumb.jpg.237087b854594a8c8c675ce900eafa73.jpg

well PK then , if we are LARPing then i guess we are , i still dont think of it that way tho , i never thought of three gun as playing army or swat either , i wonder if paintball falls in that realm ? now that i look back on the couple banquets ive attended at a state shoot event - maybe , i think we like the nostalgia of the past in its glory , id hot choose nor anyone i know of , the hardships , i guess if you gotta label me its as good a one as any , 

ive come to know a lot of CAS/SASS shooters over the years , most would not embrace a label other than exactly that CAS /SASS shooter , camper , friends , 

Call it what it is.  LARPing.  That doesn't seem so bad.  

Archived