SASS Wire Forum

Cleaning up after shooting with Black Powder and the subs.

Texas Jack Black

On 5/29/2022 at 9:16 PM, T-Square said:

I've tried a variety of methods, and I have decided to use a Gun Valet. 

Like a caddie in Golf, I'm going to get a Gun Valet, so I don't have to spend all that time in the garage cleaning.

Now I can spend more time taking my wife to run errands and spend money.

You are a GENIUS!! I was cleaning my guns after the BP mini match today and someone thought I “also cleaned guns”! :D:lol::wub:  I told him that I cleaned my OWN guns… and that there wasn’t a person on the range that had enough money for me to clean their guns! Lol

There is definitely a niche market for a Gun Valet service! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

I haven't done much black powder cowboy, but as a teen I shot in muzzleloader competition. The cleanup was always hot soapy water, followed by hot not soapy water, dry thoroughly and lube with a non-petrochemical lubricant. I assume this will work just as well with cartridge guns -- but I don't speak from a lot of experience and I bow to the advice you receive elsewhere in the thread.

I just use plain hot water, as hot as i can get it. After any match, C&B revolvers, get the barrels and cylinders taken off, Cylinders soak in a jar under hot water (no air gits to 'em so they don't rust) while I pour hot water thru the barrels and brush out the foulng, then dry 'em with a slug of paper towel shoved thru , wipe every surface dry while metal is still warm and you get no rust at all..  The water dissolves all the corrosive fouling (with either BP or Pyrodex), and washes it away.  l Lghtly oil the bores with an oily patch.  Clean and shiny. Set aside. 

Cylinders soaking under water, gets all the fouling dissolved, and when fished out still warm, the chambers are wiped dry with a short chunk of 3/8" cotton rope twisted down in there to clean the chamber bottoms,.  Blow the water out of the nipple flash holes and nipple recesses (leave the nipples in the cylinders) and brush the cone areas with a stiff brush to  remove loose fouling and dry them.  Leave chambers dry if going to use them soon, otherwise LIGHTLY  wipe the chambers with an oily mop. If gotten completely clean and properly dry while still warm, there is no rust. 

Revolver frames, hammer slots and hammers  are wiped free of all visible fouling,  lightly oil the lockworks ( I use olive oil) it soaks any fouling remaining in the lockwork and no rust will develop.   Reassemble revolvers, good to go.  About once a season, I do complete teardowns and inspect for wear, clean the oily goo off the removed interior parts and the frame interior, wipe with oily cloth and reassemble.   No excessive wear has been found anywhere. Once a season, I remove all the stainless steel aftermarket nipples from the cylinders, clean them ,check the cones undamaged, reapply anti-seize to the nipple threads, and reinstall the nipples. 

I have been using this same pair of Uberti 1851 Navy .36 revolvers in cowboy shooting each season since 2004,( 18 years) .  The blue and casehardened finishes on both pistols is still fine, showing only normal holster wear after the many years of this treatment.   These revolvers have been used hard and are as reliable as any cartridge revolver. Misfires/cap-jams are practically nonexistent (I use only Remington or Winchester caps). The revolvers have not been modified in any way to avoid

cap problems...With good aftermarket nipples and caps that fit them properly, I have found such modifications to be not necessary.  The only springs changed have been to install piano-wire bolt-trigger springs, and new handmade hand springs.  The mainsprings are stock. 

Bp

dish washing gloves let ya take the hot water to brush and dry with a towel. Then WD and a compressor. Patch barrel with wipeout/patchout and your thru. At the range windex and patches are your friend. 

Remove grips. 1/2 Ballistol & 1/2 water, brush-swab bore & chambers.  Rinse with HOT water. Blow out with compressed air or put in the oven on an old cookie sheet at 225 for an hour. Then wipe down with Ballistol & put away. 

When I was shooting, if I was going to use them again the next day, I just squirted 1/2 Ballistol mix in barrel & chambers, swabbed them out & used the again the next day. Did the whole regimen after everything was done at the match and they were put back in the safe. 

Archived