SASS Wire Forum

Dillon Shipping?

Have others experienced exorbitant seeming shipping rates from Dillon?

Seven months ago I ordered 10 primer pick up tubes.  They came in a padded  envelope weighing < 4 oz.  Shipping was $19.80.

Today I ordered two powder check dies @ $95 each.  They can't weigh more than a half pound each.  Shipping is $23.  

That seems waaaay high for shipping small items from Scottsdale AZ to central CA.

They don't specify who their standard shipper is.   

Just askin.

Some sellers have gone to adding a handling charge to cover the cost of the box, packing, label, and wages of the person boxing it up.

57 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Some sellers have gone to adding a handling charge to cover the cost of the box, packing, label, and wages of the person boxing it up.

One padded envelope $19.80?

I ordered a new tumbler from Midway and the shipping was 13.85. I didn’t think that was bad for the size of the package. 

Dillon has never been considered inexpensive.  You pay a premium for everything Dillon sells.  The value is in the quality of the product and customer service/warranty you get after the sale.  Somebody's gotta pay the postage for all those little plastic parts they ship me for free.

I agree with Badlands Bob.  I have had several items shipped under warranty for "free" (no charge to me so it is off their profit) and they even shipped a couple parts that I just plain lost someplace on the floor or bench or... aliens took them, no charge for part or shipping.

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Dillon has never been considered inexpensive.  You pay a premium for everything Dillon sells.  The value is in the quality of the product and customer service/warranty you get after the sale.  Somebody's gotta pay the postage for all those little plastic parts they ship me for free.

They've sent me a number of replacement parts for free too, ---but how "free" is it, really, if the next customer is subsidizing the cost with fake added shipping charges?  Shipping charges ought to be for shipping -- not just a hidden add-on to offset other business costs. 

Would the warranty look so great if the added  charges were honestly labeled as:  "Extra charge to subsidize our warranty costs"?

$ 19.80 for stuffing 10 thin aluminum tubes into a brown padded envelope that actually ships for $2.12 (based on postal stamp on envelope) was pretty over-the-top. Next time they send me a "free" warranty part (like a 35 cent 3-D- printed plastic Indexer ring, or a 12 cent depriming pin, or one dollar plastic cam), I'll just figure they really charged me $19.80-$2.12 =$17.68 for it.  Such a deal!

There is no such thing as a "free" lunch. 

But this is like ordering a hamburger at McD's and having a hidden "cooking charge" added onto the bill at the register.  

52 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Of course you could always drive to Dillon's show room and pick the stuff up yourself.

Tempting, but I'd have to leave all my credit cards and wallet at home or I'd come home with a bright new XL750  and who knows what else!

There are just some things that we know we may never do.  

23 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Have others experienced exorbitant seeming shipping rates from Dillon?

Seven months ago I ordered 10 primer pick up tubes.  They came in a padded  envelope weighing < 4 oz.  Shipping was $19.80.

Today I ordered two powder check dies @ $95 each.  They can't weigh more than a half pound each.  Shipping is $23.  

That seems waaaay high for shipping small items from Scottsdale AZ to central CA.

They don't specify who their standard shipper is.   

Just askin.

You could have saved $3 minus the sales tax on $20 if you bought the powder check dies using Amazon Prime.

From Titan Reloading the price is $95 each & shipping is $16.10.

In researching this topic I discovered if Scheels lists the Dillon item you want and the order is $50 or more shipping is free.  I live 60 miles from a Scheels store & I will check their website before I drive to the Legends shopping center. 

P.S.  I have only driven to Reno or Sparks twice just to visit a sporting goods or gun store.  Once to pick-up a Henry AR7 that was at price that was to low to pass up and once in the 1st quarter of 2021 when my son & my grandson wanted to do a LGS crawl.

6 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

They've sent me a number of replacement parts for free too, ---but how "free" is it, really, if the next customer is subsidizing the cost with fake added shipping charges?  Shipping charges ought to be for shipping -- not just a hidden add-on to offset other business costs. 

Would the warranty look so great if the added  charges were honestly labeled as:  "Extra charge to subsidize our warranty costs"?

$ 19.80 for stuffing 10 thin aluminum tubes into a brown padded envelope that actually ships for $2.12 (based on postal stamp on envelope) was pretty over-the-top. Next time they send me a "free" warranty part (like a 35 cent 3-D- printed plastic Indexer ring, or a 12 cent depriming pin, or one dollar plastic cam), I'll just figure they really charged me $19.80-$2.12 =$17.68 for it.  Such a deal!

There is no such thing as a "free" lunch. 

But this is like ordering a hamburger at McD's and having a hidden "cooking charge" added onto the bill at the register.  

I am not defending Dillon, but I do ships things and shipping costs are are getting to the point it will cripple the economy. Ten Dillon tubes and a $2 padded envelope is about $5 first class postage. If Dillon adds cardboard to protect the tubes from poking through or getting bent, which I would do, that would take it past the weight class of first class mail and puts it into the Priority or Parcel Post class at $10. UPS shows $27 without an account. Dillon would have an account so it should be about the same as the USPS Priority rate. It takes more labor to pack and ship something than it does to have a walk-in customer pull it off the shelf himself. Many companies are adding this extra costs. I don't like it and I do shop for the best value. I often wait and order things together to lower the costs. eBay is another good venue for Dillon parts at reasonable shipping rates. 

Archived